Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
hemichromis

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

Jos saward mentions that also. would make him easy to get and he is a solid performer.

NathanOlder

Yeah, I'd take Romain over Bottas. But as Joe Saward said, It may only be a ferrari clause. We dont know yet.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u

Grosjean wrote:Grosjean apparently has a 'Top Team' clause in his contract which allows him to essentially move for free if someone like Mercedes came knocking.
Yeah, with all do respect, but that's because
A) he's not in a top team right now - and
B) they know that won't happen anyway so 'sure buddy, we'll sign.'

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against Grosjean, I think he matured well and jumped back from the initial 'stress' back when he was labeled 1-st corner nutjob, and is a very good driver with impressive speed and confidence. I enjoyed seeing him perform when he was 'in the moment' back with Lotus paired to Kimi.
At the same time, just as he's able to impress, he's just as able to 'bore', and rather 'moan' - a tad Massa-like.
Still, as positive as I'd really want to be about Grosjean - and I am, really - he's miles off from the calibre of greats like Hamilton, Alonso, etc.
I'd compare him to Rosberg to be honest, but well....Nico did get WDC somehow.....

I see the thought process and reasoning, and I can't say he'd be a neccesary 'bad' choice, but once again i'll have to point something out, like would be the case with someone like Bottas too; I have a very hard time believing Grosjean would 'settle' with being a Nr.2 driver. In other words, he wants 'equal' treatment to Lewis - but he's not on that level at all.
Even more, I think Romain could be even more a fire-diva than Nico was, so that would only cause more trouble.
So if one of the 'downsides' or non-accept reasons would be regarding Alonso 'supposed spat' then there is no way Grosjean will be concidered over Fernando when he's - probably - worse.

Apart from that, I think Grosjean would be conciderable if it was not that he'd be paired against someone like Lewis.
Next to Vettel, Ricciardo, Raikkonen [as before], Bottas, Perez, Hulkenberg, i think he'd do swell.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

hemichromis

Manoah2u wrote:
Grosjean wrote:Grosjean apparently has a 'Top Team' clause in his contract which allows him to essentially move for free if someone like Mercedes came knocking.
Yeah, with all do respect, but that's because
A) he's not in a top team right now - and
B) they know that won't happen anyway so 'sure buddy, we'll sign.'

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against Grosjean, I think he matured well and jumped back from the initial 'stress' back when he was labeled 1-st corner nutjob, and is a very good driver with impressive speed and confidence. I enjoyed seeing him perform when he was 'in the moment' back with Lotus paired to Kimi.
At the same time, just as he's able to impress, he's just as able to 'bore', and rather 'moan' - a tad Massa-like.
Still, as positive as I'd really want to be about Grosjean - and I am, really - he's miles off from the calibre of greats like Hamilton, Alonso, etc.
I'd compare him to Rosberg to be honest, but well....Nico did get WDC somehow.....

I see the thought process and reasoning, and I can't say he'd be a neccesary 'bad' choice, but once again i'll have to point something out, like would be the case with someone like Bottas too; I have a very hard time believing Grosjean would 'settle' with being a Nr.2 driver. In other words, he wants 'equal' treatment to Lewis - but he's not on that level at all.
Even more, I think Romain could be even more a fire-diva than Nico was, so that would only cause more trouble.
So if one of the 'downsides' or non-accept reasons would be regarding Alonso 'supposed spat' then there is no way Grosjean will be concidered over Fernando when he's - probably - worse.

Apart from that, I think Grosjean would be conciderable if it was not that he'd be paired against someone like Lewis.
Next to Vettel, Ricciardo, Raikkonen [as before], Bottas, Perez, Hulkenberg, i think he'd do swell.
But if the alternative is Wherlein?

Just_a_fan

zeph wrote:
F1Krof wrote:This is interesting:

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/statu ... 8148064256

It says S. Wolf

:shock:
I bet that's tongue in cheek. No way she's gonna get it.
It says Happy Birthday Susie...I guess that's the clue. :)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Manoah2u

Just_a_fan wrote:
zeph wrote:
F1Krof wrote:This is interesting:

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/statu ... 8148064256

It says S. Wolf

:shock:
I bet that's tongue in cheek. No way she's gonna get it.
It says Happy Birthday Susie...I guess that's the clue. :)
It's her bday......oh 'she' gonna get 'it'!'
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u

hemichromis wrote: But if the alternative is Wherlein?
rite, well that's not an alternative as it's not an option - Toto already said they need 2 more years [ the rookies ], BUT,

yeah, definately Grosjean a thousand times over Wehrlein.

Gettingonabit

Manoah2u wrote:I'll just leave this one hanging here

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/173 ... ndo-alonso

20th of August, 2016
Alonso: Relationship with Lewis would be 'very different' if we were teammates now

etc etc
Easy to say but I have my doubts those sentiments would hold water when push comes to shove . I remember 2007 very well and it got very ugly between them.

Hamilton has been on the ascendancy since those times, Alonso not so - not necessarily because one has become a better driver than the other, more the choice of teams mainly. Its easy to compliment one another when one is in the best car and the other is not - no conflict of interest - no requirement to fight for the better driver 'tag' - plus plus.

I just can't see anything good for either of them or the team if they were to be paired. Good for the fans and those that like blood sports for sure. lol

A-Bap

Manoah2u wrote:
A-Bap wrote:
FW17 wrote:Grosjean could also be available
I'd love to see that happen. He's a very underrated driver, and I think people would be surprised at how close the margin would be between he and Hamilton...make for some great drama.
lol, do people really have such low estimate for Hamilton's skills? I mean really, Grosjean close to Hamilton? :lol: :lol:
Dead serious. Hamilton is a bit overrated and Grojean is very underrated. He demonstrated a lot of very nice racecraft this year in that Haas. And you know what? Put them all in identical cars they're within .5 of one another, depending on the track.

diego1960

I'm getting bored of even thinking someone like Bottas in the second seat. Give us some drama, someone who is a bit more exciting, if not a big name as they are difficult to get. Christ, I would EVEN prefer Wehrlein to the Finn.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Grosjean

For anyone that says Grosjean is boring:

[youtube] https://youtu.be/VCSbmnojte4 [/youtube]

[youtube] https://youtu.be/FmZ9oKXXHHQ [/youtube]

NathanOlder

I see Valentino Rossi has put his name forward. PR dream. Rossi and Hamilton. If Mercedes are in F1 to just sell cars , then put a woman in the 2nd seat. Simple as.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

A-Bap

zeph wrote:She's also very pregnant...

For real, I'd love to see Alonso pairing up with Hamilton. Hamilton outqualifying him, and Alonso still ahead by T1 because of his dynamite starts. They would bring out the best (and possibly the worst) in each other, and it would be great for us.

But I don't think any team would want to manage that headache.
Totally with you in your first paragraph. But I honestly don't think Toto and Niki are too worried about strife. As ugly as it was, they managed the situation with aplomb.

Safe to say, there will be even more strife between Lewis and Fernando. But let’s be real, Lewis won’t get along with anyone..at all...other than a clear junior. I think they’re confident they can manage the conflicts, especially if it means another season loaded with 1-2 finishes.

Part of the reason Lewis really detested Nico is because he believed he was much better that him. To Lewis, Nico’s just all around “lucky.” I actually think he resented on many levels Nico—silver spoon kid. Yet there he was—challenging and sometimes soundly beating him. This made Lewis crazy.

Interestingly, I don’t think Lewis believes he’s better than Fernando, not in the way he feels he's better than Nico. Lewis will have a different *new* set of negative feelings for Fernando.

And there will be days when Fernando absolutely murders Lewis on the track. And let’s remember that Fernando is just as funny as he his competitive. Doesn’t give any ---.

This will make Lewis batshit crazy like we've never seen. And for Lewis to be at his best, he needs someone to make him crazy...

For Mercedes, and for F1, this paring will create an EPIC saga...a story line filled with drama and intense competition that will playout over a whole season—and people won’t be able to get enough of it...

God I hope this comes to pass.
Last edited by A-Bap on 07 Dec 2016, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

Shakeman wrote:Alonso - Hamilton Part Deux would be box office but I cannot believe Merc would detonate this particular bomb inside their F1 setup. It would be Bahrain 2014 every single race but with much more contact.

As a fan it would be great viewing but Merc would be barking mad to go there.
At least they won't crash into each other.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ME4ME

A-Bap wrote:Safe to say, there will be even more strife between Lewis and Fernando. But let’s be real, Lewis won’t get along with anyone..at all...other than a clear junior. I think they’re confident they can manage the conflicts, especially if it means another season loaded with 1-2 finishes.

Part of the reason Lewis really detested Nico is because he believed he was much better that him. To Lewis, Nico’s just all around “lucky.” I actually think he resented on many levels Nico—silver spoon kid. Yet there he was—challenging and sometimes soundly beating him. This made Lewis crazy.

Interestingly, I don’t think Lewis believes he’s better than Fernando, not in the way he feels he's better than Nico. Lewis will have a different *new* set of negative feelings for Fernando.

And there will be days when Fernando absolutely murders Lewis on the track. And let’s remember that Fernando is just as funny as he his competitive. Doesn’t give any ---.

This will make Lewis batshit crazy like we've never seen. And for Lewis to be at his best, he needs someone to make him crazy...

For Mercedes, and for F1, this paring will create an EPIC saga...a story line filled with drama and intense competition that will playout over a whole season—and people won’t be able to get enough of it...

God I hope this comes to pass
I think you hit the nail on the head. Totally agree.