Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sonador
Sonador

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

NathanOlder wrote:I see Valentino Rossi has put his name forward. PR dream. Rossi and Hamilton. If Mercedes are in F1 to just sell cars , then put a woman in the 2nd seat. Simple as.
They already had a woman in the seccond car #-o

Sonador
Sonador

I would like to see Hulkenberg in the seccond car, i think he wil do great.
I think he can handle the pressure a lot better than Rosberg.
Or heck why not Vergne, he did very good compared to Ricciardo ....

Gaz.
Gaz.

ME4ME wrote:
A-Bap wrote:Safe to say, there will be even more strife between Lewis and Fernando. But let’s be real, Lewis won’t get along with anyone..at all...other than a clear junior. I think they’re confident they can manage the conflicts, especially if it means another season loaded with 1-2 finishes.

Part of the reason Lewis really detested Nico is because he believed he was much better that him. To Lewis, Nico’s just all around “lucky.” I actually think he resented on many levels Nico—silver spoon kid. Yet there he was—challenging and sometimes soundly beating him. This made Lewis crazy.

Interestingly, I don’t think Lewis believes he’s better than Fernando, not in the way he feels he's better than Nico. Lewis will have a different *new* set of negative feelings for Fernando.

And there will be days when Fernando absolutely murders Lewis on the track. And let’s remember that Fernando is just as funny as he his competitive. Doesn’t give any ---.

This will make Lewis batshit crazy like we've never seen. And for Lewis to be at his best, he needs someone to make him crazy...

For Mercedes, and for F1, this paring will create an EPIC saga...a story line filled with drama and intense competition that will playout over a whole season—and people won’t be able to get enough of it...

God I hope this comes to pass
I think you hit the nail on the head. Totally agree.
Really? I thought it was a load of crap myself. Every driver thinks they are the very best at what they do, with the odd exception airing in their retirement years. No driver has ever gone into a press conference and said "Oh yes I'm the third best driver on the grid". Some may display more modesty than others but they all think they're the cats whiskers. As for not getting along with others, they aren't here to stroll on the beach hand in hand, candlelit dinners & a 69...
Forza Jules

PlatinumZealot

Let' think out of the box a bit... If you were the newly selected driver what would be going through your mind going into "Lewis' team?"
How do you behave? make demands and like a diva just like lewis or act like a quiet little mouse grateful for the seat? Or some way else??

Lewis is like a shark and he feeds off fear. But he's also like a dog he attacks harder the more noise you make...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SR71

PlatinumZealot wrote:Let' think out of the box a bit... If you were the newly selected driver what would be going through your mind going into "Lewis' team?"
How do you behave? make demands and like a diva just like lewis or act like a quiet little mouse grateful for the seat? Or some way else??

Lewis is like a shark and he feeds off fear. But he's also like a dog he attacks harder the more noise you make...
Lewis' team? Not sure that's what I'd call it or it reflects in anyway the '16 season.

He's an employee and should be just as grateful for that car as anyone.

That's what we've learned as we go into 2017 and he's the defending runner up.

GPR-A duplicate2

SR71 wrote:He's an employee and should be just as grateful for that car as anyone.
That is a good expectation to have from others. Because...
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... cs-857022/

phantaman

And about Massa? Could it not be considered for a 1 year contract like Kovalainen in 2008? Felipe gave an interview saying that he could consider a return and drive for Mercedes if was requested. He is the one who has no contract signed with anyone, is experienced and fast and would do what Mercedes ordered to do.

dandfx
dandfx

I'd like to see Hulkenburg in the Mercedes. Hulk and Perez perform well in a mid level car and have a decent amount of experience in the main game.

Hulk into Renault seems like a back or at best a side step, lotus was stale and they've gone backwards this year as Renault. I think if they do have pace early it won't take long for them to go back in the field.

Realistically if it adds up Botas will be the pick. He has experience and pace (and years) to be the #1 driver if Hamilton leaves in the next year or two. He should challenge Hamilton and will bank solid constructors points.

How's would Hamilton be with a junior second driver? I can't imagine he's the sort of person to lift and help develop an up and coming team mates career which will slow Merc's dominance.

NathanOlder

Sonador wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:I see Valentino Rossi has put his name forward. PR dream. Rossi and Hamilton. If Mercedes are in F1 to just sell cars , then put a woman in the 2nd seat. Simple as.
They already had a woman in the seccond car #-o
=D> very good point
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Vasconia

Jolle wrote:
periods of dominance for more then three years have been common for F1 for years now. McLaren with 7 titles in 8 years, 5 years of Ferrari/Schumacher and 4,5 years of RedBull. For marketing an undisputed star isn't that bad, just think of it: cycling had its biggest days when Armstrong dominated (before we knew how), basketball was bigger then ever in the Jordan years and Doohan/Rossi/Marquez are wonderful for MotoGP. We all want a battle every race, but that doesn't sell products strangely enough.

I think, for Mercedes, Rosberg outperformed his expectations and they build a more drivable car then they thought was possible. If the car had to be more on edge, the gap was probably a bit bigger (and also, with the real limit being the tires, and in lesser extend the balls of the driver).

the pro's to get Alonso:
- epic possible battles with Hamilton
- a nice pairing to market
the cons:
- Alonso can be a risk then it comes to "radio messages" and using communication outside the team
- A repeat of 1986 and 2007 when RedBull and/or Ferrari are closer
- Their big investment in Hamilton gets less chance to pay off
- Real expensive to buy him out of the Honda contract and meet his demands
- Getting older, short term solution for a problem that isn't there.
I wouldn´t say that Amstrong´s dominance was a great period of time for cycling but that would be a totally off-topic discussion hehe. :wink:

A team with Alonso and Hamilton should ban radio messages really haha. Both drivers love to make some "interesting" commments on the radio and use politics when they speak to the media(like it happened in 2007 and still happens nowadays). It would be a total nightmare for Wolf and company.

Vasconia

diego1960 wrote:I'm getting bored of even thinking someone like Bottas in the second seat. Give us some drama, someone who is a bit more exciting, if not a big name as they are difficult to get. Christ, I would EVEN prefer Wehrlein to the Finn.
Yeah, at least Wehrlein´s supposed speed and bad character could give us more fun. Bottas is a god driver but it sounds like most boring option to choose.

Phil

turbof1 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... ld-857273/

So Wehrlein is definitely being heavily considered. Looks like he will be getting the seat if the prefered but also very difficult to get drivers are not achievable.
Indeed. I am still sticking with my prediction with Wehrlein (or Bottas) being the two most likeliest candidates.

As Joe Saward pointed out, contract negotiations can be tricky. Vettel and Alonso are locked in, as are both RedBull drivers. If I am not mistaken, Vettel could be available for 2018, as is Alonso. That gives options.

Lets review:
Hamilton's contract goes till end of 2018 at Mercedes.
Vettels until 2017 at Ferrari
Alonsos until 2017 at McLaren
Bottas until 2017 at Williams (but buyout possible)
Dan Ricciardo until ???
Max Verstappen probably locked in for another few years

Why go now and sign a multiple year deal and close the door to such interesting prospects available for 2018? If they go with Bottas, they'll probably have to settle for at least a 2 year contract. If they go with Wehrlein, well, they can do the 1 and sacrifice the lamb for bigger prospects available for 2018 (Alonso or Vettel). Unless Wehrlein sets the world on fire.

Saward thinks Bottas is the most likeliest - I think that depends on their long term plan. If Hamilton will stay with Mercedes and retain his hunger for wins, records and championships, they'll have all the time to nurture a driver from their junior program. But the question is; does Hamilton and Mercedes still harmonize? If I were Mercedes, I'd go with a 1 year deal - meaning Wehrlein for one year. Then for 2018, you can still go for either Bottas if you want to keep Hamilton happy, or Alonso or Vettel if you want to keep him motivated or even replace Hamilton long term.

Another factor; McLaren is unlikely to be a title contender in 2017. There's no need to "disrupt" McLaren by luring Alonso away. IMO - Ferrari will be stronger and Vettel might be a key player. If you want to disrupt your opposition, you'd have to disrupt both RedBull and Ferrari as they will be closest in rivaling Mercedes in 2017 I think. So my money is on Wehrlein for 2017, then maybe Vettel in 2018 if Ferrari doesn't raise their game or Bottas if they're happy and confident with Hamilton staying in F1 for a while and with them.

From another perspective; Bottas seems like a logical choice, even at a 2 year deal. He is quiet, technical and shows potential. He might be a good replacement for Rosberg. Worst-case; They lose prospects such as Vettel or Alonso in 2018, but for 2019, they might be able to sign a RedBull driver, maybe Ocon or some other exciting new prospect. And if Bottas/Hamilton are a strong duo, they can retain them for longer.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Funny how Bottas is concider most 'likeliest', whilst exactly Bottas is the one with clear signs that he's leaving Williams for a better team in 2018 - remember that contract dispute with the possibility he actually would bail Williams for 2017 already @ Renault. I think there's little doubt that Bottas was aiming and heading for Renault alongside Nico Hulkenberg for 2018 - quite a respectable pairing to be honest. There has been talk of him going to Ferrari before but i never took that seriously and iirc Bottas claimed that actually never happened - not anything serious for that matter.

Bottas was adamant on staying for 1 year max at Williams, where Williams wanted him for 2 years. If Bottas was not aiming to go elsewhere, he would have taken that contract without a doubt.
He was - is - planning to go to Renault surely, so that needs to be taken in account first and foremost. It is only by accident that there's a seat available at Mercedes now, and lets' be honest here, there was never any talk or serious concideration of Bottas going to Mercedes before this sudden pickle popped up.

It's also highly unlikely that Mercedes doesn't know about that, and that Renault has not planned out a course for Bottas to enter the Enstone team as of 2018. Though Bottas is not irreplaceable, one might wonder whether Renault would like to see that plan fade away so soon and also whether or not there might have been signed some material already - i personally have a feeling that the chances are rather high that there is already a contract signed, and i also wonder whether a clause exists for him to jump out of that without consequence.

and again, Wehrlein is not an option, Toto himself stated more than once that they're not ready yet for the next 2 seasons.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

alexx_88
alexx_88

Ferrari fired their technical director 4 months ago. I think it's safe to say they'll be nowhere in 2017 as well. After reading Ross Brawn and Adam Parr's book and the former's recollection of what he found at Ferrari when he arrived, there's something in the culture of that team that won't really allow it to dominate again until someone who knows what he/she comes from outside and get complete freedom to re-organize things.

If Mercedes would want to disrupt a rival, that would be RB. They have a very strong driver pairing and will probably have quite a good car in 2017. That's the team to beat. Choosing Wehrlein is a risky move, even without the rumors that he's not very easy to work with. If Mercedes retain at least part of their massive advantage, then the WCC and WDC are already in the bag. Yes, Pascal might fall back in more complicated races, but he has enough speed to qualify the car around its expected position and a dry race should normally yield a 1-2.

I want Alonso, they'll probably go for the safe route of Bottas or Wehrlein. Anything beyond these three is quite a stretch (Massa, Button, Perez etc).

Thunder

Manoah2u wrote: and again, Wehrlein is not an option, Toto himself stated more than once that they're not ready yet for the next 2 seasons.
And still he put the Sauber Talks on hold. That doesn't happen without a reason. I don't believe anything coming from Toto / Niki until it is officially announced.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum