Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
turbof1

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

The preferred choice obviously is someone with a lot more experience than Wehrlein. However, given all preferred options are under contract somewhere else, Wehrlein is still that much a viable option they keep him from signing until a decision is made.

Understandable given how difficult of a situation this is. Finding any decent driver is already quite difficult at this stage. Finding a driver worthy of a championship winning car is a massive undertaking.

In my opinion, if they can't pull a top or subtop driver, they should go for Wehrlein.
#AeroFrodo

Manoah2u

Yet I truly believe that if you can't get Alonso, you should go for Button for a year, perhaps 2 tops.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Gaz.

Manoah2u wrote:Yet I truly believe that if you can't get Alonso, you should go for Button for a year, perhaps 2 tops.
Except Button checked out mentally quite early on in the season. At least Alonso has a hunger, Button went through the motions this year then signed a deal to be a corporate schmoozer for two years. If Alonso had to give up his race seat do you think he'd be a brand ambassador or is he more likely to get a LMP1 drive and a wild card at the Indy 500? I'd love to see the Brits paired up again but I think Merc will pass up on this one.
Forza Jules

phantaman

:D

And about Massa? Could it not be considered for a 1 year contract like Kovalainen in 2008? Felipe gave an interview saying that he could consider a return and drive for Mercedes if was requested. He is the one who has no contract signed with anyone, is experienced and fast and would do what Mercedes ordered to do.

can
can

Activating Eddie Jordan Mode: :mrgreen:

I am 100% sure it will be Fernando. Since almost a week no single comment from Fernando? Has he lost his Twitter password??? :roll:

The comments of the McLaren management sounded to me like:

"We hope that he will stay and fullfill his contract... We hope he believes in us... Please Fernando...Please... Don't leave us alone,
we don't know what we are doing... [-o< [-o< " :mrgreen:

That is more than obvious. Compare the Eric B. comments to the ones of Horner or Marko, they have rocksolid contracts, McLaren just has a contract, with a backdoor or they know they will not be able to keep him if wants to leave. Made Fernando knows something that could cost them 100 Million Dollars, again... :mrgreen:

I assume Fernando has made enough money in his career, his paycheck or salary would not be the dealbreaker, no way!
His dream is the third title, I am pretty sure, he even would do it for free, if the new Merc has a build-in title chance guarantee.

On the other Side, Fernando is a rockstar in terms of the popularity pecking order of current F1 drivers (the only other is HAM). He offers maximum PR, plus bigger attractiveness to major global sponsors.

Who is Wehrlein? He is just cheap in salary terms and MAYBE quick (but nobody actually knows or totally believes that).
He has a total lack of any kind of charisma, as Max V. has it for instance.

And don't forget Toto and Niki are more than obsessed by the 1-2 Merc Podium, the chances would be the highest with Fernando joining them. Both also don't underestimate Red Bull and Ferrari in 2017, they will go the Spanish safe route, remember my words.

They will need 2-3 weeks to work out the necessary paperwork and find a good explanation why Wehrlein will have to wait for another few years, without smashing his motivation.

Feel free to blame me if reality proves me wrong :mrgreen

Only If both parties don't get it managed to sign an agreement it will be Wehrlein.

Cheers guys :mrgreen:

Pierce89

NathanOlder wrote:
Sonador wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:I see Valentino Rossi has put his name forward. PR dream. Rossi and Hamilton. If Mercedes are in F1 to just sell cars , then put a woman in the 2nd seat. Simple as.
They already had a woman in the seccond car #-o
=D> very good point
C'mon guys I know Louie sometimes comes off a little feminine, but that's just harsh. :roll: OTOHThey could hire Princess Pascal(his actual paddock nickname) and have the first all female team. I am woman hear me roar.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

NL_Fer

Contracts are said to be watertight, but somehow driver always seem to switch unexpectedly, without much problems. Alonso was onder contract for 2008 and 2015, but was able to switch teams. With McLaren mediocre performance, things must be possible.

About the working relation with Hamilton, both have aged, become more mature. Lewis ain't a rookie anymore and Hamilton knows that. Alonso championship was 10 years ago, he has more to prove. I believe things will be more balanced, than back then in '07.

But what's Mercedes' gain in this. A solid performer, and more points for the WCC. But points more balanced between two drivers and a chance of a rival n1 stealing the WDC like Raikkonen did (and what if he does it again in '17 )

Talking about Wehrlein is tactics by Wolff, acting like it is a real option. Lowering the price of an experience driver. I still believe the 3r option is very alive. Take either Botta's or Perez and put Wehlein in their empty seat to learn.

a1b2i3r45

Manoah2u

Gaz. wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:Yet I truly believe that if you can't get Alonso, you should go for Button for a year, perhaps 2 tops.
Except Button checked out mentally quite early on in the season. At least Alonso has a hunger, Button went through the motions this year then signed a deal to be a corporate schmoozer for two years. If Alonso had to give up his race seat do you think he'd be a brand ambassador or is he more likely to get a LMP1 drive and a wild card at the Indy 500? I'd love to see the Brits paired up again but I think Merc will pass up on this one.
Alonso has more hunger, sure, but IF he wouldn't be able to 'transfer', i'd say Jenson is the next option.
Button checked out about 1,5 season ago, perhaps even 2. Mclaren made a mess of it and gave him nothing but boredom.
The only thing that softens that wound is "tha money". He spend enough midfield-backgroundish years with Honda. After being catapulted into a WDC with Brawn [Mercedes], he then went to Mclaren which was a rather good move back then, and had a great first 2 years. It then went downhill with Mclaren and as such, also for Jenson.

The idea of having a WDC capable car next year would fire him up right away, and he knows he's put up quite the match against Lewis before - frankly, he has held his own quite decent against Fernando. It would be interesting to see how Button would do at his 'former home'.

In any other case, i'd say Button stays retired. In the case of a WDC car? He'd sign that.
Don't forget; Toto mentioned every.single.driver. called him except Kimi Raikkonen and Kvyat. Thus, includes Button.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u

a1b2i3r45 wrote:Image
absolutely genius. :mrgreen:

Shrieker

I think I meet all the requirements :D
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shrieker

Put Wehrlein in the car. He took the sh!tbox he drove to places it should've never been in the Austrian GP, and I'm quite surprised this isn't mentioned by anyone, not even in passing. Sure, he made some mistakes as well, but so did Hamilton when he was testing for McLaren in 2006. In one occasion he completely totalled the car iirc. Not to mention his rookie year mistakes in 2007.

Alonso's skill isn't open to debate, but his primadonna and spoiled brat levels far surpass that of his skill. Look how he repaid in kind the tens of millions of euros McLaren and Honda pledged to him. Which is why I find the "it's not gonna be like 2007, he's matured now" comments laughable at best. If he arrives, he's going to unsettle the team and cause so much friction that Nico/Lewis spat will look like a catfight next to it. That said, if there's any reason I'd like him paired up with Hamilton, it would be watching ham kick his ar$e hard one more time before he retires, so as to put the "Alonso is da best :D " myth finally to rest.

And of course, the major drama it's gonna cause.
Last edited by Shrieker on 07 Dec 2016, 23:02, edited 6 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Manoah2u

Imagine applying and actually getting hired o.O

Manoah2u

Shrieker wrote:Put Wehrlein in the car. He took the sh!tbox he drove to places it should've never been in the Austrian GP, and I'm quite surprised this isn't mentioned by anyone, not even in passing. Sure, he made some mistakes as well, but so did Hamilton when he was testing for McLaren in 2006. In one occasion he completely totalled the car iirc. Not to mention his rookie year mistakes in 2007.
Well, the question is; how good/bad was the Manor really; or - how awful was Haryanto actually?
I think Haryanto was really that awfully bad, and Wehrlein was driving a rather good Manor that had it's settings spot on,
and not to forget carrying a Merc engine.

Another thing also to concider:

Supposedly Hamilton could do 8 tenths better in the tire test compared to Wehrlein's laptime - need i mention he stopped after 2 laps being 'unwell'?

If that's really true, then that means a hangover-hamilton after losing the WDC a day before still is able to pull off a easy 8 tenths in a tire 'test' - not even a real-world event that counts.....So apart from not being ready.....for clear reasons; Does Toto, Niki, Zetche want a driver consistantly atleast 8 tenths slower then it's teammate? Or do they want to avoid getting a RedBull in between?

Shrieker

I wouldn't personally read too much into tyre evaluation testing times. We don't know their programmes. But of course, the team could've been attempting a 'comparison', but I would not think that's very likely.
-Atatürk