Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Cold Fussion

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

PlatinumZealot wrote: I would love to see a thread with all your driver predictions over the years.
Here is a visual representation of it:

efuloni

I'm curious about Bottas. To me, he loses ground at each season. This beginning is being very bad for him. Although he had misfortune, the truth is that he simply doesn't match the hype.

PlatinumZealot

Massa is consistently beating him on race pace now. Sometimes I wonder how fast Williams would be with top tier drivers guiding the development.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

iotar__

efuloni wrote:I'm curious about Bottas. To me, he loses ground at each season. This beginning is being very bad for him. Although he had misfortune, the truth is that he simply doesn't match the hype.
He just out-qualified Kvyat and almost Vettel. Even at this lower point he is still better than all for RB drivers if you take into consideration longer sample of races, competition and a car. Why not put question marks over Vettel or Hamilton too after three races? Not to mention Toro Bull drivers who in the last two races underperformed. If their official press release states they should have qualified higher in China you can automatically multiply it by 3 :P to achieve the real picture.

He was over-hyped because of lack of competition in '14 and connections with Ferrari/Wolff. It was the same with Perez. This is how F1 media works, pundits that read team's promotional materials instead of assessing reality. All the weaker points and 80% of facts were ignored. He may not have improved, why should you if you're so perfect to begin with? Believing in your own hype - very common in F1.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:Massa is consistently beating him on race pace now. Sometimes I wonder how fast Williams would be with top tier drivers guiding the development.
Perhaps Massa is not as bad as some people think.

Manoah2u

Vasconia wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Massa is consistently beating him on race pace now. Sometimes I wonder how fast Williams would be with top tier drivers guiding the development.
Perhaps Massa is not as bad as some people think.
Not bad, no. but imho vastly overrated and vastly overprotected not the least because of the spring accident.

I liked Massa on his championship contending season with Ferrari. That was a damn great Massa. after that, sorry but i wouldn't call him rubbish but at the same time, it's like a mess. granted, he had a good amount of bad luck with the state where ferrari was in afterwards, he had that accident which definately altered his abilities - to be honest, i feel like Massa had a strike 1 when he lost the WDC and never really overcome - he still whines about that year when he gets the opportunity - and then the helmet incident gave a strike 2. Strike 3 was when he was forced to let Alonso pass.
So Massa despite having a lot of bad stuff happening to him that was severely 'unfair' in certain aspects,
the fact remains, there is no spectacular massa like his performance in the just-miss-championship year.

but to be honest, that same goes for kimi. and though Mclaren is a mess, i miss the 'fire' that Button used to have. Hell, Alonso can say he's motivated all he wants, and in a degree surely he is, but i'm missing that 'spark' in more than 1 driver in the field.

i could imagine that F1 today is so complicated and such a 'mess' that it affects the drivers.

anyway, as for 201 7:

- Button : OUT
- Alonso : OUT
- Hulkenberg : OUT
- Kvyat : LEAVES and goes NASCAR
- Kimi : OUT and goes NASCAR
- Verstappen : Ferrari or Mercedes
- Sainz : RedBull
- Rosberg : Champion or OUT
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Vasconia

Massa has been always a quite irregular driver with some great days and other forgettable ones in the vein of Coulthard, Montoya and many others. He had his chance in 2008 but it didnt, work though I think he deserved it.

The accident+the 2nd driver role in Ferrari affected him very much but now I think he is happier in Williams and he is driving much better.

mika vs michael

Best silly season prediction is Ross Brawn back to Ferrari, as team principal this time and getting Lewis Hamilton from Mercedes on board to Ferrari...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

SiLo

mika vs michael wrote:Best silly season prediction is Ross Brawn back to Ferrari, as team principal this time and getting Lewis Hamilton from Mercedes on board to Ferrari...
And then winning the championship with them?

Whats the record for most championships with different teams?
Felipe Baby!

oetger

Will we see a mid-season driver swap ?
SKY F1 Gossip Column

Daniil Kvyat's Red Bull future has been cast in doubt after his Russian GP clash with Sebastian Vettel and the Russian will have talks with team bosses this week. The 2013 GP3 champion replaced the Ferrari-bound Sebastian Vettel at the senior team after just a solitary season with Toro Rosso and out-scored team-mate Daniel Ricciardo last year.

However, it is thought Red Bull bosses are keen to promote teenage sensation Max Verstappen to the senior team as soon as possible as the Dutchman continues to enhance his reputation as one of the hottest properties in F1.

iotar__

oetger wrote:Will we see a mid-season driver swap ?
SKY F1 Gossip Column

Daniil Kvyat's Red Bull future has been cast in doubt after his Russian GP clash with Sebastian Vettel and the Russian will have talks with team bosses this week. The 2013 GP3 champion replaced the Ferrari-bound Sebastian Vettel at the senior team after just a solitary season with Toro Rosso and out-scored team-mate Daniel Ricciardo last year.

However, it is thought Red Bull bosses are keen to promote teenage sensation Max Verstappen to the senior team as soon as possible as the Dutchman continues to enhance his reputation as one of the hottest properties in F1.
Sky's gossip column, here comes menace to society routine. Why Kvyat?
- he beat Ricciardo last season (only points matter)
- had a podium recently (only results matter)
- he has a "champions gene" which is important
- he is the new "Senna" or whatever those writers made up for him

I thought they (Marko) wanted to get rid of Kvyat anyway by recently killing his only strong point - occasional one lap pace. Although to be fair, he just may not be flexible with tyres. So where are all those pundits who claimed he was the next best thing based on nothing and RB's promotional materials? Moved on to the next, next big thing.

Funny part is that they don't need to wait for 15 other races to see who's better as if they have it all planned in advance ;-). Like Kvyat earlier for example?

NL_Fer

I think Kvyat is driving Renault next year. And don't be suprised if Raikkonen stays another year, his pace is good, definitly for a nr2 driver. If not, it will be Grosjean in the nr2 Ferrari. Stoffel VanDoorne te replace Button?

ME4ME

iotar__ wrote:However, it is thought Red Bull bosses are keen to promote teenage sensation Max Verstappen to the senior team as soon as possible as the Dutchman continues to enhance his reputation as one of the hottest properties in F1.
Sky's gossip column, here comes menace to society routine. Why Kvyat?
- he beat Ricciardo last season (only points matter)
- had a podium recently (only results matter)
- he has a "champions gene" which is important
- he is the new "Senna" or whatever those writers made up for him

I thought they (Marko) wanted to get rid of Kvyat anyway by recently killing his only strong point - occasional one lap pace. Although to be fair, he just may not be flexible with tyres. So where are all those pundits who claimed he was the next best thing based on nothing and RB's promotional materials? Moved on to the next, next big thing.

Funny part is that they don't need to wait for 15 other races to see who's better as if they have it all planned in advance ;-). Like Kvyat earlier for example?
Kvyat being the next great thing was based on his junior career as well as his raw pace at Toro Rosso. There was, and still is, potential in him. But as with all drivers in the Red Bull junior programme, they'll get dropped into the deep quickly. Only the ones able to adapt and deliver will keep their seat at the team.

Verstappen is in the same boat. If he got promoted now, it might be too early. He still needs to learn and gain experience before being put under pressure at the big team.

Talented drivers are easily destroyed by requiring too much of them too early. Perez, Magnussen, Kvyat, Grosjean etc are all examples of that.

Bariani

My predictions for the 2017 grid:

Mercedes: Lewis & Nico
Ferrari: Seb &Bottas
Williams: Nasr & Massa
Red Bull: Ricciardo & Max
Haas: Romain & Esteban
Force India: Nico & Checo
Toro Rosso: Alex Lynn & Sainz
Renault: Esteban Ocon & Kevin
McLaren: Stoffel & Alonso
Sauber: Marcus & Alex Rossi.
Manor: Pascal Weh & Rio

How i would like to be...

Mercedes: Lewis & Pascal Weh
Ferrari: Seb & Bottas
Williams: Nasr & Hulk
Red Bull: Ricciardo & Max
Haas: Romain & Kobayashi
Force India: Vandoorne & Checo
Toro Rosso: Alex Lynn & Sainz
Renault: Esteban Ocon & Kevin
McLaren: Button & Alonso
Sauber: kvyat & Alex Rossi.
Manor: Alex Lynn & Rio

PlatinumZealot

Bottas is just too vanilla. I think ferrari want riccoardo as they grow tired of sebastian but they will settle for grosjean for now.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™