Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
flickerf1
flickerf1

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

Just a general question. Do you guys think Nico deserves a seat in a top team just as much as Checo?
The Wicked + The Divine.

dren

efuloni wrote:Brazilian press says (a renowned reporter called Fabio Seixas) that Perez and Ferrari nogociations are in an "advanced stage". It also reports that Carlos Slim, the mexican Midas, believes that the failure at McLaren and the two and a half seasons in FI were enough to turn Checo into a "mature driver". Link, in portuguese: http://sportv.globo.com/site/blogs/espe ... can16.html

About Williams, I said last year and I repeat now that I'd like very much to see a Button-Massa pair. Two old nice guys going for one last ride. haha.
Probably why Vettel was recently in the news saying he and Raikkonen have a great working relationship. He wants to keep Raikkonen. We shall see...
Honda!

SectorOne

flickerf1 wrote:Just a general question. Do you guys think Nico deserves a seat in a top team just as much as Checo?
No. The big teams were right all along.

Perez you can actually see have grown immensely since his debut. In Hulkenberg i don´t see any of that.
Perez curve is pointing up, Hulks is a flat line as far as im concerned.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

flickerf1
flickerf1

SectorOne wrote:
flickerf1 wrote:Just a general question. Do you guys think Nico deserves a seat in a top team just as much as Checo?

Perez you can actually see have grown immensely since his debut. In Hulkenberg i don´t see any of that.
Agreed.
The Wicked + The Divine.

efuloni
efuloni

I think he does if we consider his entire career. But, in F1, you are as good as your last race, and I know that. So, now, Perez is doing much better. Probably because Hulk has a motivational issue. He seems sad.

What I mean is that in the past years he did enough to deserve a top seat and didn't get it. Now his team-mate - who is also doing enough (but, IMHO, for a shorter period of time) - looks at the edge of getting a top seat while Hulk will remain forgotten, probably until the end of his career.

I know that the right call for any big team now is hiring Checo, but, looking at the big picture, it looks kinda unfair. :| :(

Jolle
Jolle

flickerf1 wrote:
SectorOne wrote:

Agreed.
Yes, plus they're feeling the pain that the big teams choose for a few years now that they want two top drivers (plus the fact that there are 5 WC on the grid) and it's likely that if the current older generation decides to stop (button, Raikkonen, even Massa) they will be replaced by younger drivers from their programs. So, it's midfield teams for Hulk (and guys like Magnussen as well)

flickerf1
flickerf1

efuloni wrote:
I think he does if we consider his entire career. But, in F1, you are as good as your last race, and I know that. So, now, Perez is doing much better. Probably because Hulk has a motivational issue. He seems sad.

What I mean is that in the past years he did enough to deserve a top seat and didn't get it. Now his team-mate - who is also doing enough (but, IMHO, for a shorter period of time) - looks at the edge of getting a top seat while Hulk will remain forgotten, probably until the end of his career.

I know that the right call for any big team now is hiring Checo, but, looking at the big picture, it looks kinda unfair. :| :(
Yeah, but Nico still has yet to make it to the podium. IMO, he's squandered the chance to be on the podium and even win before (i.e. Brazil 2012).
The Wicked + The Divine.

dev'o
dev'o

dren wrote:
efuloni wrote:Brazilian press says (a renowned reporter called Fabio Seixas) that Perez and Ferrari nogociations are in an "advanced stage". It also reports that Carlos Slim, the mexican Midas, believes that the failure at McLaren and the two and a half seasons in FI were enough to turn Checo into a "mature driver". Link, in portuguese: http://sportv.globo.com/site/blogs/espe ... can16.html

About Williams, I said last year and I repeat now that I'd like very much to see a Button-Massa pair. Two old nice guys going for one last ride. haha.
Probably why Vettel was recently in the news saying he and Raikkonen have a great working relationship. He wants to keep Raikkonen. We shall see...
In saying that though, Ricciardo has even been linked to the second seat at Ferrari, obviously more so after the debacle at Monaco.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Sure, over the last years Nico was a solid performer and i rate them equal to Checo. Probably better then Raikkonen.

PlatinumZealot

Schuttelberg wrote:
Phil wrote:I think part of the problem with Kimi's race is that he got the bad end of the strategy twice. At the start, Rosberg cut back onto the track causing a bit of chaos. Thrn, on the first pit stop, both Vettel and Hamilton had already pulled a significant gap to the RedBulls in 3rd. Vettel pitted under the virtual safetycar but that phase ended as he was in. He still benefitted off it, just. Kimi did not.

Then, Vettel also had the advantage of running in clear air most of the race. The two Redbulls he caught, were both on old tires, so it was a straight forward pass, car on fresh tires vs car on old ones. Kimi never had that advantage, he was always racing against cars on pretty much identical tires.

Having said that, i do however agree that Ferrari will need change and Kimi doesnt cut it. He might have a lot of bad luck that is outside of his direct control, but i do think Ferrari needs two stellar drivers if they want to compete for championships.
The problem with Raikkonen is not so much on a Sunday. Half his 'compounded bad luck' begins on Saturday. Passing in F1 is always a challenge unless there is a significant car advantage or tyre advantage and Kimi simply can't ring a lap out that puts him high enough on the grid to have a chance on Sunday. There is this constant 'no temperature in the tyres' reason, but the better drivers adapt to it and he simply doesn't adapt enough to justify one of the better seats in F1.
I think his Race pace consistency is rather poor this year. He tends to regular fade away from the fight at the front. I can't seem to recall him fighting for the win this year on shear pace alone. I know he is Ferrari's last world champion, so they will respect that, but I often wonder if they are giving him too much respect...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

efuloni wrote:

Results are what matters. So i don't see what you mean by Hulk's entire career as it wasn't just last year, but for the rest of his career he hasn't had much in terms of results. Perez has been doing better from the word go.
Ever since Perez started F1 i could see that he has a very good understanding of how to pace a formula 1 race, i touted him as the better driver, but it took some time for people to realize that Hulk is painfully ineffective at applying himself. Hulk is very flashy, similar to Sutil and Truli, but his issue is effective application over a race distance and over a season.
So i would disagree with you saying that he did enough, as he is yet to do anything result wise to earn a top drawer seat.
Perez has been doing more and doing it for a much longer time than Hulk. He is making his machinery look better than it is; so it's actually quite fair that the Mexican gets a top seat. Hulk IMO should go the way of Sutil and DiResta; talented but not effective.
For Sure!!

Schuttelberg

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
Phil wrote:I think part of the problem with Kimi's race is that he got the bad end of the strategy twice. At the start, Rosberg cut back onto the track causing a bit of chaos. Thrn, on the first pit stop, both Vettel and Hamilton had already pulled a significant gap to the RedBulls in 3rd. Vettel pitted under the virtual safetycar but that phase ended as he was in. He still benefitted off it, just. Kimi did not.

Then, Vettel also had the advantage of running in clear air most of the race. The two Redbulls he caught, were both on old tires, so it was a straight forward pass, car on fresh tires vs car on old ones. Kimi never had that advantage, he was always racing against cars on pretty much identical tires.

Having said that, i do however agree that Ferrari will need change and Kimi doesnt cut it. He might have a lot of bad luck that is outside of his direct control, but i do think Ferrari needs two stellar drivers if they want to compete for championships.
The problem with Raikkonen is not so much on a Sunday. Half his 'compounded bad luck' begins on Saturday. Passing in F1 is always a challenge unless there is a significant car advantage or tyre advantage and Kimi simply can't ring a lap out that puts him high enough on the grid to have a chance on Sunday. There is this constant 'no temperature in the tyres' reason, but the better drivers adapt to it and he simply doesn't adapt enough to justify one of the better seats in F1.
I think his Race pace consistency is rather poor this year. He tends to regular fade away from the fight at the front. I can't seem to recall him fighting for the win this year on shear pace alone. I know he is Ferrari's last world champion, so they will respect that, but I often wonder if they are giving him too much respect...
While I mostly agree with you, he was in with a shout at Spain, Barcelona this year. The word you used is actually correct. Raikkonen's just found NO consistency in his second Ferrari stint. The only constant has probably been mediocrity!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Jolle
Jolle

Schuttelberg wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
While I mostly agree with you, he was in with a shout at Spain, Barcelona this year. The word you used is actually correct. Raikkonen's just found NO consistency in his second Ferrari stint. The only constant has probably been mediocrity!
Agreed that Kimi isn't the McLaren Kimi anymore that we loved. But looking at how well you need to perform, he does actually quite what's expected from him. Let's assume that he is the second driver in the Ferrari team, then what's expected from him is finish as close to his teammate as possible (on average, in the drivers championship). He did that last year, finished fourth one place behind Vettel and now they're split by RIC. So, in 2015 at least, with any other driver, there wouldn't be a better outcome.
So, no need to replace Kimi just yet.

Schuttelberg

Jolle wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Agreed that Kimi isn't the McLaren Kimi anymore that we loved. But looking at how well you need to perform, he does actually quite what's expected from him. Let's assume that he is the second driver in the Ferrari team, then what's expected from him is finish as close to his teammate as possible (on average, in the drivers championship). He did that last year, finished fourth one place behind Vettel and now they're split by RIC. So, in 2015 at least, with any other driver, there wouldn't be a better outcome.
So, no need to replace Kimi just yet.
How can you or I assume that? Raikkonen's salary is not that of a 'number 2' driver and it seems to me that you're suggesting that as long as he can be directly behind Vettel in the championship, it's fine? NO! Formula 1 has advanced a lot over the years. Ferrari needs two chargers, both capable of winning the WDC if one can't find form or rythm for various reasons and to collectively deliver a WCC! By saying that in 2015, no other driver would have mad a difference is actually saying 'If Ferrari can make a dominant car, Kimi can come 2nd.' I don't think that's what Ferrari need. At the moment, RBR have a better driver line up than Ferrari and if they can mix it with the Ferrari's like they have in the past few races, Ferrari will lose second in the WCC!

If you just want Kimi to be in F1 to trundle around and be Vettel's rear gunner (which also I feel he can't do), the situation is already alarming. Kimi should never have been renewed for this year and any more years beyond this one will add to his overstayed welcome. Ask yourself. Can he really dance with Vettel/Hamilton/Alonso over a season?
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

notsofast
notsofast

The best that Ferrari can hope for in 2016 is second place in the WCC, and their only competition is Red Bull. Ferrari's #1 driver is ahead of Red Bull's #1 driver in the standings, and Ferrari's #2 driver is ahead of Red Bull's #2 driver. There's no need for either driver to achieve anything more than that.