Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

I agree, Bottas has now gone almost too boring and not what Ferrari are after. I think there is going to be many driver changes in F1 for 2017 now, i still believe Vandoorne to STR with a Honda supply, but think there is many other twists on the offing, now to add to the splatter of predictions on the kitchen wall:

Mercedes AMG: 06] Rosberg / 44] Hamilton
Scuderia Ferrari: 05] Vettel / 08] Grosjean
Red Bull-Renault*: 03] Riccardo / 33] Verstappen (*Badged as TAG Heuer)
Williams-Mercedes: 77] Bottas / 94] Wehrlein
Haas-Ferrari: 12] Gutiérrez / 09] Ericsson
Toro Rosso-Honda: 55] Sainz / 47*] Vandoorne (*2016 season number)
McLaren-Honda: 06] Rosberg / 14] Alonso
Force India-Mercedes: 11] Perez / 27] Hulkenberg
Renault Sport F1: 20] Magnussen / 26] Kvjiat
Sauber SMP-Renault: XX] Ocon / XX] Sirotkin (Team will be rescued and made into a Russian Licenced-Renault Backed B-Team for Renault, like what STR is to Red Bull ran to a almost Ferrari/Hass business model)
Manor MRT-Mercedes: 12] Nasr / XX] Lynn

bill shoe

ESPImperium wrote:I agree, Bottas has now gone almost too boring and not what Ferrari are after. I think there is going to be many driver changes in F1 for 2017 now, i still believe Vandoorne to STR with a Honda supply, but think there is many other twists on the offing, now to add to the splatter of predictions on the kitchen wall:

Mercedes AMG: 06] Rosberg / 44] Hamilton
McLaren-Honda: 06] Rosberg / 14] Alonso
And yet Rosberg will still not win a championship despite driving for two different teams!! :D

PlatinumZealot

ESPImperium wrote:The silly season has started on many forums and most certainly has started in the F1 paddock. Yes one race has just passed, but I'm just canvassing to see who and what the F1 grid would look like in 2017 with some of the wild stories and not so wild stories that have going around.

So far I'm looking at a 2017 grid like this:
Mercedes AMG: 44] Hamilton / 27] Hulkenberg
Williams-Mercedes: 77] Bottas / XX] Lynn
Red Bull-Tag Heuer(Renault): 03] Riccardo / 33] Verstappen
Haas-Ferrari: 21] Gutiérrez / 09] Ericsson
Force India-Mercedes: 11] Perez / XX] Ocon
Toro Rosso-Honda: 55] Sainz / XX] Vandoorne
Renault Sport F1: 20] Magnussen / 26] Kyat
McLaren-Honda: 22] Button / 06] Rosberg
BMW Sauber: 12] Nasr / 54] Rossi
Manor MRT-Mercedes: 94] Wehrlein / 30] Palmer

Alonso, Massa, Raikkonen all to leave the sport with a few other drivers around the edges.

As for 2016, rumour has it that if Alonso isn't medically cleared for Bahrain, Vandoorne will make his debut in F1.
Give this man some up-votes. A level headed and well founded prediction =D>
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Vasconia

Why should Nico leave Mercedes? he is doing a great job and I am sure that the tem will retain him.

The Verstappen thing was quite clear but its a well deserved up-vote haha. He is the marketing figure that RB loves so much, they will do whatever is needed to make him happy.

FrukostScones

PlatinumZealot wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:The silly season has started on many forums and most certainly has started in the F1 paddock. Yes one race has just passed, but I'm just canvassing to see who and what the F1 grid would look like in 2017 with some of the wild stories and not so wild stories that have going around.

So far I'm looking at a 2017 grid like this:
Mercedes AMG: 44] Hamilton / 27] Hulkenberg
Williams-Mercedes: 77] Bottas / XX] Lynn
Red Bull-Tag Heuer(Renault): 03] Riccardo / 33] Verstappen
Haas-Ferrari: 21] Gutiérrez / 09] Ericsson
Force India-Mercedes: 11] Perez / XX] Ocon
Toro Rosso-Honda: 55] Sainz / XX] Vandoorne
Renault Sport F1: 20] Magnussen / 26] Kyat
McLaren-Honda: 22] Button / 06] Rosberg
BMW Sauber: 12] Nasr / 54] Rossi
Manor MRT-Mercedes: 94] Wehrlein / 30] Palmer

Alonso, Massa, Raikkonen all to leave the sport with a few other drivers around the edges.

As for 2016, rumour has it that if Alonso isn't medically cleared for Bahrain, Vandoorne will make his debut in F1.
Give this man some up-votes. A level headed and well founded prediction =D>
it's not 2017 yet...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Manoah2u

Let's go crazy and access the high probability Hamilton has a clause in his contract with Mercedes which means if they can't provide him the right equipment to win GP's, he can bail from Mercedes and go elsewhere. Let's say that Hamilton can claim the unreliability issues he has been plagued with would fall under that category. Let's say that Hamilton thus decides to say adios Mercedes at the end of 2016.
Let's also assume Alonso's contract has a similar clause for 2016 and despite him saying he intends to finish his 3-year streak with Mclaren, he points out that performance clause and the unwanted results.

could we be seeing this for 2017, then?

01. Rosberg ) Mercedes AMG F1 Team
02. Alonso ) Mercedes AMG F1 Team
03. Ricciardo ) RedBull Racing - TagHeuer
04. Verstappen ) RedBull Racing - TagHeuer
05. Hamilton ) Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team
06. Vettel ) Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team
07. Massa ) Williams - Mercedes
08. Button ) Williams - Mercedes
09. Grosjean ) Haas - Ferrari
10. Guiterrez ) Haas - Ferrari
11. VanDoorne ) Mclaren - Honda
12. Hulkenberg ) Mclaren - Honda
14. Carlos Sainz ) Toro Rosso - Ferrari
15. Pierre Gasly ) Toro Rosso - Ferrari
16. Magnussen ) Renault F1 Team
17. Palmer ) Renault F1 Team
18. Perez ) Force India - Honda
19. Celis ) Force India - Honda
20. Nasr ) Sauber Alfa Romeo
21. Vergne ) Sauber Alfa Romeo
22. Wehrlein ) Manor - Mercedes
23. Rossi ) Manor - Mercedes

2017 a battle between Alonso (Mercedes), Hamilton (Ferrari), Vettel (Ferrari), Verstappen (RedBull) and Rosberg (Mercedes) would be awesome.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

WaikeCU

Manoah2u wrote:Let's go crazy and access the high probability Hamilton has a clause in his contract with Mercedes which means if they can't provide him the right equipment to win GP's, he can bail from Mercedes and go elsewhere. Let's say that Hamilton can claim the unreliability issues he has been plagued with would fall under that category. Let's say that Hamilton thus decides to say adios Mercedes at the end of 2016.
Let's also assume Alonso's contract has a similar clause for 2016 and despite him saying he intends to finish his 3-year streak with Mclaren, he points out that performance clause and the unwanted results.

2017 a battle between Alonso (Mercedes), Hamilton (Ferrari), Vettel (Ferrari), Verstappen (RedBull) and Rosberg (Mercedes) would be awesome.
Adios Bottas as well? :o

GPR-A duplicate2

Manoah2u wrote:Let's go crazy and access the high probability Hamilton has a clause in his contract with Mercedes which means if they can't provide him the right equipment to win GP's, he can bail from Mercedes and go elsewhere. Let's say that Hamilton can claim the unreliability issues he has been plagued with would fall under that category. Let's say that Hamilton thus decides to say adios Mercedes at the end of 2016.

1. I highly doubt if Ferrari will want to go for Hamilton and if Alonso indeed quits McLaren, it would be McLaren that would empty their pockets to get Hamilton back.
2. Would Alonso agrees to the bu** sh** of equality crap and leading driver pits first rules? He is definitely not as fast as Rosberg on one lap and the only way he can succeed is if they allow free strategy calls.
3. If the car is up to the mark, it is Ricciardo who would be a big threat and not Verstappen in Red Bull.
4. Would Vettel be in fight? Because can Ferrari manage to succeed where they have a history to miserable failures? Making the most of new regulations.
5. Can't Honda get on top of their issues in the third year with currently formula?

I could see a proper Mercedes Vs Red Bull fight in 2017!!! I am putting all my hopes on last chapter of Newey with 2017 regulations.

FW17

Force India>> Perez , Kvyat

Haas>> Hulkenberg,

Ferrari>> Vettel, Grosjean

Fulcrum

I get the impression Raikkonen may still be at Ferrari in 2017.

Last year, by this stage, there was already serious gossip of him being replaced. This year, not much evidence or hearsay of further developments. I'm even hearing rumours suggesting he will get an extension.

Of the proposed drivers, none make particularly compelling arguments. Grosjean didn't exactly outshine Raikkonen at Lotus; quite the opposite actually. Ricciardo can't be an optimal choice as Vettel would surely veto this move if possible. Bottas is not showing signs of improvement; he's actually looking less competitive the longer his partnership with Massa lasts. Verstappen is too young, and Hamilton too... I'll be polite and say 'independent'.

Raikkonen is clearly #2 to Vettel, but he's fortunately/unfortunately fast enough and compliant enough to not rock the boat. He isn't controversial, tows the team line, rarely if ever says anything negative about the team, scores solid points regularly. He's also a Ferrari world champion, which no doubt carries some cachet.

If Ferrari were in a position to fight for a Championship (Constructor's), perhaps it would make sense to force through the hiring of Hamilton or Ricciardo, even Button. As this is not a likelihood, even next year, Raikkonen is still a good choice for securing second place.

dren

If Raikkonen scores the team points and puts the car where it should place, I don't see why Ferrari will not retain him. If Vettel starts winning races and Raikkonen isn't on the podium, then they may look for a replacement. Ferrari has historically liked an experienced driver, so I would expect Grossjean or Rosberg, or somebody of that nature; is Hulkenburg out of the discussion? Although, after Brittney wins the championship this year, he will likely have contract demands that Ferrari will not want to accept.

Will Sauber and FI even be around next year? Renault will be the biggest open seat, unless Mclaren don't retain Button. I don't even know if Renault will retain Magnussen.
Honda!

FW17

42% of Sahara Force India is up for sale. 2 Russian parties have openly shown interest in F1. Force India is safe.

Sauber in a difficult place. They are now becoming target for vultures.

WaikeCU

FW17 wrote:42% of Sahara Force India is up for sale. 2 Russian parties have openly shown interest in F1. Force India is safe.

Sauber in a difficult place. They are now becoming target for vultures.
Any chance Force India will become SMP Racing? I heard SMP have interest in entering F1. Perhaps taking over Force India is the first step? If so, Kvyat would be a logical move and perhaps Sirotkin as well.

Vasconia

Fulcrum wrote:I get the impression Raikkonen may still be at Ferrari in 2017.

Last year, by this stage, there was already serious gossip of him being replaced. This year, not much evidence or hearsay of further developments. I'm even hearing rumours suggesting he will get an extension.

Of the proposed drivers, none make particularly compelling arguments. Grosjean didn't exactly outshine Raikkonen at Lotus; quite the opposite actually. Ricciardo can't be an optimal choice as Vettel would surely veto this move if possible. Bottas is not showing signs of improvement; he's actually looking less competitive the longer his partnership with Massa lasts. Verstappen is too young, and Hamilton too... I'll be polite and say 'independent'.

Raikkonen is clearly #2 to Vettel, but he's fortunately/unfortunately fast enough and compliant enough to not rock the boat. He isn't controversial, tows the team line, rarely if ever says anything negative about the team, scores solid points regularly. He's also a Ferrari world champion, which no doubt carries some cachet.

If Ferrari were in a position to fight for a Championship (Constructor's), perhaps it would make sense to force through the hiring of Hamilton or Ricciardo, even Button. As this is not a likelihood, even next year, Raikkonen is still a good choice for securing second place.
He is doing a good job, showing good pace in both qualy and race. I cant imagine why he should be replaced. Its obvious that Sebastian is faster, but come one, this is quite logic and reasonable taking into account Sebastian´s pure pace and that he is much younger than Kimi.

I hope he will continue in 2017.

FW17

The only reason for replacement I can think of is should a number 2 get so much money.

Then again Ferrari has a lot of it.