Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nokivasara

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

So now that Ferrari and Red Bull are out of the quessing game, do we have any suprices coming?
ALO to Renault :)

PlatinumZealot

Buemi to Renault.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

iotar__

PlatinumZealot wrote:Buemi to Renault.
Buemi and Alguesuari replacing Hamilton and Rosberg after another crash. Similar budget and ambitions so why not? Very solid line-up, only competed against each other (like most RB drivers) so why ruin good impression?

Ferrari: "Marchionne call triggered Raikkonen deal" (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... al-796844/) There's a surprise. If Ferrari were a football team Raikkonen would be booed every game. F1 crowd is less knowledgeable and interested in sporting qualities than most sports fans and that's saying a lot.

Sonador

PlatinumZealot wrote:Buemi to Renault.
Love to see Vergne alongside Buemi at Renault.
Very underrated driver against Ricciardo

notsofast

Let's bring back Vitaly Petrov while we're at it. He's the one guy who stood between Alonso and a 3rd WDC.

But seriously, how often has a non-WDC contender come back to F1 after a multi-year absence?

PlatinumZealot

We had two this year. Gutierrez, Magnussen. And there was adrian Sutil absent for a year. Kobyashi came back on the grid in a caterham seat if i recall right.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

RA168E

PlatinumZealot wrote:We had two this year. Gutierrez, Magnussen. And there was adrian Sutil absent for a year. Kobyashi came back on the grid in a caterham seat if i recall right.
Luca Badoer, De la Rosa..

Jolle

Because Buemi isn't that bad. He did a whole lot of development work for RedBull when Vettel and Webber were in the car, the speed he has is sufficient for the ambitions of Renault in 2017 plus it generates good press because he's the current WEC and formula E champion (look at Hulk, what brought it FI last year). And it makes formula E and WEC look good.

domh245

Jolle wrote:plus it generates good press because he's the current WEC and formula E champion (look at Hulk, what brought it FI last year). And it makes formula E and WEC look good.
He's not the current WEC champion, that honour goes to Webber, Hartley and Bernhard. Unfortunately he's also not the most recent 24h LM winner. He certainly should have enough points to qualify for a superlicense though

Jolle

domh245 wrote:
Jolle wrote:plus it generates good press because he's the current WEC and formula E champion (look at Hulk, what brought it FI last year). And it makes formula E and WEC look good.
He's not the current WEC champion, that honour goes to Webber, Hartley and Bernhard. Unfortunately he's also not the most recent 24h LM winner. He certainly should have enough points to qualify for a superlicense though
Oh yes, 2014, my mistake.

I like the guy :D

ringo

We still have the williams seats up for grabs.
I think based on how mclaren looks button may leave for williams. He needs a car that can at least give him a podium in the British GP.
The mclaren is looking more handy by the race, so maybe he will stay with Ron. The next driver who may take a look in at williams is possibly Wehrlein. And this puts him in line for the mercedes drive later down the road.
For Sure!!

Jolle

ringo wrote:We still have the williams seats up for grabs.
I think based on how mclaren looks button may leave for williams. He needs a car that can at least give him a podium in the British GP.
The mclaren is looking more handy by the race, so maybe he will stay with Ron. The next driver who may take a look in at williams is possibly Wehrlein. And this puts him in line for the mercedes drive later down the road.
Ron Dennis made it quite clear that he is going to wait until the last moment. So, if Button wants to be safe, he would already be talking to Frank and Clair.
Bottas feels a bit like a super-sub for the Mercedes team, until Wehrlein can take his place at least... clock is ticking. For his sake I hope Rosberg bumps around a bit more. But then, that would be bad for Button because Rosberg could also return to Williams...
musical chairs.

ringo

Rosberg is too calculating to leave Mercedes.
The only thing stopping him there from being a WDC is Hamilton, but at least he has a 50/50 chance.
If he goes to a lesser team, even if he was the #1 driver there, he would have no chance if that car is slower than the merc, ferrari and redbull.
So i think Rosberg will stay at mercedes as long as they are competitive.
Wehrlein may jump to williams, and Williams may be interested in him if they can get a discount on the engines if they give him a year or two in their car.
Massa can go back to sauber where he started from then retire from the sport.
For Sure!!

ESPImperium

My crazy thought on Buemi, would it be fair to boot Kvjiat and put Buemi back in the STR with Sainz and give Gasly one final GP2 year if he doesn't win it this year.

As for Renault, i think they will go for Magnussen and Nasr, someone who is a capable driver and brings a fair wedge with him.

Williams will probably see Bottas and Wherlien and Manor to take Ocon and ideally Rossi for his proper shot at F1, but feel someone like Lynn. As for Haas, probably a Status Quo there too.

As for Sauber, they will take Vandoorne with a cheaper-than-Ferrari Honda power unit and McLaren rear end with a driver that can bring a decent wedge (Van der Garde???)

Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull and Force India are all two by two i feel. But Rosberg will be on a single year deal.

**OR**

Is this a crazy one?

Ferrari buy out Hamilton at Mercedes (with £70m) payment, pay Kimi to do a 2010 again and Mercedes keep Rosberg and they with the money and take Button back into the hold or buy out Alonso???

McLaren take Button and Vandoorne, with Sauber-Honda with a pair of pay drivers (Van Der Garde???)

Then Red Bull and Force India two-by two, and the rest as above???

It could be a crazy one, but if it did happen it would be a true Silly Season!!!

iotar__

- You're still going on about Buemi? It's Red Bull's mocking in response to Renault's interest in Sainz
- When I remembered Di Resta last season in context of Renault's seat I thought he was out of F1 for too long and you don't see a problem with 5 years :wtf: ? He's better anyway, hire him instead.
- marketing argument is also particularly bad: RB (in F1 for marketing reasons) have 4 seats x 5 years = 20 and couldn't find the place for him.