Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

ScottB wrote:
hemichromis wrote:Any news on Nico for Mercedes next year?

He's been looking less impressive since monaco, do we think Mercedes are looking elsewhere?
Unless they have another major coming together, I don't think they'd change, as there's no incentive to.

I mean, if say, Verstappen was available, then maybe things would be different, but who that is available would come in and do a better job? Pascal hasn't shown enough to get the promotion, yet anyway, and the rest of the guys who'd be easily obtained for next year aren't anything that would trouble Lewis, so may as well keep Nico, who is quick enough to push Lewis / win races in his own right, as long as the on track crashes stop, as mentioned.
Well, there are other strategies in play.
Look at 2007. McLaren threw away the title because of having two top drivers taking points from each other. If RedBull or Ferrari is closer next year, a "Ferrari style" number one and two might be an option.
But, yes, I think they'll keep Rosberg. Else it will be Bottas, with Wehrlein taking his place.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:The toro rosso will be very quick next year so Sainz is in a very good place.
If they can retain their chief designer yes, because we all expect a much improved Renaul PU.

2018 would be the perfect year to sign a long time contract with Renault.

Jolle
Jolle

Time to buy Armco-Barrier and Carbonfiber Inc. stocks, Maldonado just announced that he is in "good talks" for a 2017 seat!

Can only be one of the Saubers I think.

Scuderia1967

Jolle wrote:Time to buy Armco-Barrier and Carbonfiber Inc. stocks, Maldonado just announced that he is in "good talks" for a 2017 seat!

Looking at the current state of Venezuela's affairs, I highly doubt this

Facts Only
Facts Only

Maybe he's got sponsorship.... perhaps a DashCam company or a Personal Accident Lawyer?
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

FrukostScones

Jolle wrote:Time to buy Armco-Barrier and Carbonfiber Inc. stocks, Maldonado just announced that he is in "good talks" for a 2017 seat!

hahah Carbon fibre stocks! I'm literally rofling... :roll:

I'd rather buy wheel tether and halo stocks... hahaha

MAL will pay for his seat himself if he comes back. or some dodgy friends and family/ companies.

or maybe the anti-bullying foundation.

Williams would take him back if he puts enough $ on the table for sure.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

HAAS
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FrukostScones

Manoah2u wrote:HAAS
and then 2018 to Ferrari
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

that would be effin hilarious.

especially if he'd actually somehow perform o.O and not crash into everything
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

kptaylor
kptaylor

Without the Venezuelan government's money, I don't know where he'd get money to buy a seat. That country is on the verge of something bad.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Maldonado coming back is a laugh. Venezuela has, as of yesterday, started to use the army to distribute food to the country. Its hospitals are on its bloody knees as there is no clean laundry for beds led alone medicines available. If Maldonado comes back, it will be with new money, no PDVSA. As it is, i think Maldonado is trying to get his name in the frame, but i doubt he will be taken, he will be happy earning his reported €300,000 a year as a Pirelli ambassador/driver coach/test driver.

Jolle
Jolle

He could do the skypad commentating all the crashes of the weekend

PlatinumZealot

kptaylor wrote:Without the Venezuelan government's money, I don't know where he'd get money to buy a seat. That country is on the verge of something bad.
A lot of entities, legit, illegitimate have enough money to fund his seat. That Sauber seat is going to be much cheaper than the williams and Lotus seats were.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

superdowg316

Some have written it off, but Buemi to Renault could be a possibility if Renault decide to give him something as a present for winning the Formula E championship for them. WEC would probably have helped him a little because the intensity of each stint is much more than over an F1 race. Plus WEC cars are the closest you could get to F1 without it being F1 since they race at all the circuits and there's similar driving. Plus Buemi is still working for RBR in some testing capacity I believe so he knows what works for them plus by being a factory driver for Toyota he knows what Toyota does to be competitive. Mix the theories from RBR and a top factory racing team and Renault suddenly have a goldmine plus Magnussen is there as well.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

andone89
andone89

http://allsportsintheworld.com/2016/07/ ... -mercedes/ this seems like complete rubbish, but can anyone candle some light on this topic?