Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

Judging by the cars enstone made when funding was good, i think Renault is the best of the three teams. It is toss up of which car will allow him to show his talent even more so he can put a better case to go to Ferrari. It is close between renualt and force india. I dont consider williams quite there when it comes to aero. Can see them behind next year.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

nevill3

I personally agree that Renault will do a "Mercedes" and take a couple or three seasons to achieve success, at the end of last year "Lotus/Renault" were so strapped for cash that very little development was going on regards this years car and swapping engines between seasons too wouldn't have helped either. Many key members of staff were poached by the other teams so a an increase in the amount of rebuilding, restaffing and re-investment will produce significant improvements next year and for many years to come.

The clever people within the industry will be keeping a close eye on the levels of investment and I am sure if Sergio or Roman were to be given insight or guarantees, the way Lewis was before he joined Mercedes, about the future plans and strategies they may well hop on board to be in at the start of a resurgent Renault works team.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

nevill3

Interesting reading regarding the position of Force India and Sergio

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/force ... 05424/?s=1

It appears that FI have taken up their option to keep Sergio but the commercial deals with his sponsors have yet to be finalized hence the uncertainty. I guess if a move elsewhere is on the cards someone will have to buy him out of his FI contract.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

PlatinumZealot wrote:Judging by the cars enstone made when funding was good, i think Renault is the best of the three teams. It is toss up of which car will allow him to show his talent even more so he can put a better case to go to Ferrari. It is close between renualt and force india. I dont consider williams quite there when it comes to aero. Can see them behind next year.
except people seem to forget that there has been a total exodus of decent personnel at Enstone in the form of Lotus back then, and that's when they sank big time afterwards. Results of the past are no guarantee for the future, just look at Ferrari.
The enstone of today is different to the enstone when Alonso won his titles, aswell as Schumacher before, and as well as when Raikkonen was there in the form of Lotus.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manjhi
Manjhi

nevill3 wrote:Interesting reading regarding the position of Force India and Sergio

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/force ... 05424/?s=1

It appears that FI have taken up their option to keep Sergio but the commercial deals with his sponsors have yet to be finalized hence the uncertainty. I guess if a move elsewhere is on the cards someone will have to buy him out of his FI contract.
Checo is hot favorite of mid-grid teams at the moment because of tyre management. He excels at FI because of the chassis etup., the moment he steps on the Williams he will loose this advantage, Renault chassis might just help him coz they are known for making the chassis which are soft on their tyres.

But with new changes coming next year, the drivers will have to be dependent on the raw pace. Checo's advantage could be diminished if doesn't get a chassis which is soft on tyres.

basti313
basti313

Manjhi wrote: Checo is hot favorite of mid-grid teams at the moment because of tyre management. He excels at FI because of the chassis etup., the moment he steps on the Williams he will loose this advantage, Renault chassis might just help him coz they are known for making the chassis which are soft on their tyres.

But with new changes coming next year, the drivers will have to be dependent on the raw pace. Checo's advantage could be diminished if doesn't get a chassis which is soft on tyres.
Do not forget the weight. Perez is one of the skinny bitches around, maybe even lighter now than Massa. This is a huge advantage on every F1 car. We have seen it for several years now, that the tall and heavy drivers often struggle with car setup and, thus, tire management. No miracle, that he is beating heavy Hulk in most of the Qs. I would even expect it more clear like Vet vs. Web with a steady 0.2sec advantage, but I do not think he has the quality of Web or Vet.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Jolle
Jolle

Now with Ocon at Manor, it looks like that Mercedes is also (just like RedBull) to see their future with their own drivers.
Actually, Hamilton is the result of the junior Mercedes program, which was a joint effort at the time between McLaren and Mercedes (who owned McLaren for a bit back then)

This would mean that even more seats are taken in the future due to good junior driver programs. If, as a driver, you're not picked out at an age of 15/16, a midfield team will be the highest available. Mercedes now have Bottas, Wehrlein and Ocon "ready" to take a seat in 2019. McLaren of course have VanDoorne ready and Nyck the Vries possibly for the year after, Ferrari LeClecke.

FrukostScones

Renault with probably totally disappointing line u. PER, BOT or Ozon; charismatic my washing machine.

But maybe Ozon destroys Wehlein and he is future champ?

BUE! all the way. to Renault or TR again pls.

and Maldonade to FINDIA!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

basti313
basti313

Ocon vs. Wehrlein and Ricciardo vs Vestappen will be the fights to watch in the second half of the season. Everything else is more or less clear (Ham vs Ros, Bulls vs Ferrari) or not very interesting (Vet vs Rai, Williams vs Force India).
Don`t russel the hamster!

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

I think Williams will be in with a shout when we get to Le Mans what with their low downforce package...

I don't think we can judge Ocon in the first few races - give him a couple to find his rhythm.

Feel a little sorry for Hiryanto, but he weren't really their on merit.

Hopefully Renault will bring in everyone favourite Venezuelan.

PlatinumZealot

I am looking forward to Maldonado's second coming as well.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

skoop
skoop

graham.reeds wrote:I think Williams will be in with a shout when we get to Le Mans what with their low downforce package...

I don't think we can judge Ocon in the first few races - give him a couple to find his rhythm.

Feel a little sorry for Hiryanto, but he weren't really their on merit.

Hopefully Renault will bring in everyone favourite Venezuelan.
God, I wish they would race at the LeMans track :)

(edit: typos)

domh245
domh245

La Monz, surely?

The rumour at the moment is that Maldonado is going to join Manor in the WEC.

FrukostScones

domh245 wrote:La Monz, surely?

The rumour at the moment is that Maldonado is going to join Manor in the WEC.
cool, the famous 6 Minutes of Mexico
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

TeamBills59
TeamBills59

Alexgtt wrote:Dani is clearly out and it seems his temperament is not at all desirable for the F1 brand. That seemed pretty obvious to me with the way he dealt with his collisions earlier this season.

Just thinking way, way ahead here at a Ham end game. I don't believe RB is what he wants. How about riding out the wave at Merc and with perfect timing heading back home to Ron/McLaren/Honda for a dream like swansong into history.....................................................(subtle coughs.....................finish the Senna dream................... :wink: ).
People are quick to forget that Kvyat outscored Ricciardo in his rookie year. I would include Kvyat in that.

Where is the driver thread on this forum? I can't find it. Also who woukd I message about discussion topics not being approved?