So... Vandoorne is racing for McLaren this week...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

So... Vandoorne is racing for McLaren this week...

http://www.f1technical.net/news/20292

This is exciting news! What do you expect from Stoffel? And do you think he be faster than Jenson?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FrukostScones

Re: So... Vandorne is racing for McLaren this week...

not much more than MAG ,
GROSJEAN territory.
If he beats BUT in qualy and race I'll be very surprised.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

WaikeCU

I reckon he's Sainz, Wehrlein quality. Has he driven the new car before?

Tauri_J

I dont think so, the last time he drove an F1 car it was Pirelli's wet tyre test with MP4-30.

Correct me if I'm wrong....

Big Mangalhit

I'm very thrilled. I loved to watch him in GP2, I honestly think he is a brilliant driver. Maybe even WDC material, but that is mostly thanks to the contract you land I guess.

KingHamilton01

Tough way to come in and deputise for a double world champion, but then it's never going to be ideal for anyone. The promising thing is that from history he has gone well at this circuit, hopefully he can find the sweet spot set-up wise and push on from there. Sure it will be exciting for everyone to see what he can do compared to Button, almost an early opportunity you could say for him to prove he should be in the car over Button next season.
McLaren Mercedes

Steven
Owner

I don't really think we can expect him to beat Button on his first qualifying outing in F1, that would be fairly impressive. Still, nothing is impossible, especially while retaining elimination qualifying...

The guy is talented for sure. You are no slouch when you win GP2 in the way he did, setting records along the way. He's managed to work his way up without major backing like the Red Bull club. From what I can see, and from my talks with him, I believe he's mature, calm and realistic at all times.

I hope he can have a reliable race, without technical issues or incidents. It's a unique chance to prove he's a reliable choice for McLaren.
It's also the first time a countryman of mine is in a reasonable car since Thierry Boutsen!

ME4ME

I think his track-record shows he's an excellent driver. I hope he can immediately deliver and perform well though. If he doesn't manage to impress Mclaren he might never get a full racing contract with them.

fenix4life

Steven wrote:I don't really think we can expect him to beat Button on his first qualifying outing in F1, that would be fairly impressive. Still, nothing is impossible, especially while retaining elimination qualifying...

The guy is talented for sure. You are no slouch when you win GP2 in the way he did, setting records along the way. He's managed to work his way up without major backing like the Red Bull club. From what I can see, and from my talks with him, I believe he's mature, calm and realistic at all times.

I hope he can have a reliable race, without technical issues or incidents. It's a unique chance to prove he's a reliable choice for McLaren.
It's also the first time a countryman of mine is in a reasonable car since Thierry Boutsen!
The fact that Alonso will be staying in Bahrein might be beneficial for Stoffel.
Me might provide the necessary guidance (or tips and trick) for him.

Fingers crossed for a clean weekend for him. And some points :-)

Pierce89

WaikeCU wrote:I reckon he's Sainz, Wehrlein quality. Has he driven the new car before?
His junior record is better than theirs, but that means precisely dick in f1. Still, I feel he's better than either of those two. His junior record is just too impressive to look past.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

ME4ME

Pierce89 wrote:His junior record is better than theirs, but that means precisely dick in f1. Still, I feel he's better than either of those two. His junior record is just too impressive to look past.
Talking about junior records, is there actually a driver on the grid who has a equal or better junior track record then Vandoorne? I'm not sure.

PlatinumZealot

Possibly Hamilton.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

rayden

Hulk, Hamilton & possibly ricciardo (rookie champ in FF & would have been in FR3.5 if he wasn't crashed into on start line at last race).

I'm sure Verstappen would have been similar if he had been given the chance.

bauc

I think that if he does a good job this race it could increase his chances of him driving next year. This can happen, especially if the speculations that were towards the end of last season about Sauber going with Honda from 2017 come true.

Anyway, I'm sad for ALO but looking forward to see this guy race against JB and with the rest.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

WaikeCU

bauc wrote:I think that if he does a good job this race it could increase his chances of him driving next year. This can happen, especially if the speculations that were towards the end of last season about Sauber going with Honda from 2017 come true.

Anyway, I'm sad for ALO but looking forward to see this guy race against JB and with the rest.
I see him being in Japan for 1 year. I'd see him playing second fiddle to Alonso next season and when Alonso retires, he'll become Mclaren's no.1 driver. Don't think we'll see Button next season. That's what I think.