Formula 1 team payments for 2016 revealed

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SectorOne

Re: Formula 1 team payments for 2016 revealed

bhall II wrote:
SectorOne wrote:The big difference is Messi´s salary is 100% based on current performance.
Like everyone in the entertainment industry, Messi's salary is a reflection of his drawing power, of which performance is but one aspect. His skills have no value until someone pays to see them.

In other words, Messi's income is based upon his employer's income.
The only reason the guy has drawing power is because of his skills. Make no mistake about that.
Nobody would give a .. if Messi had zero skills.
People would not even know who he was because he would never have made it to Barcelona´s A team in the first place.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

bhall II

I don't disagree with that at all. Nonetheless, the direct connection is between demand and income, not performance and income. That may seem trivial, but I think it's an important distinction.

McG

Ferrari are the only ones to get a Long Standing Team payment? Thought McLaren, Williams, Red Bull and Mercedes got that?
F1 is dead.

ChrisDanger

It looks like Bernie may shake things up a bit:
"I am going to have a good look at how things work to see if I can come up with something more equal for all the teams.”

It is suggested that Ecclestone would prefer a system more like that in place in Football’s Premier League – where the share of revenue is more equal but there remains a meritocracy for success.

“The Premier League has a good way of distributing the prize money, so maybe that could work for us,” added Ecclestone.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/eccle ... re-792130/

Facts Only

Good ol' Teflon Shoulders Ecclestone preparing to shift the blame, I can hear it now... "I wanted to change things but Ferrari and the other teams blocked it..."
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Jolle

First of all, I'm very much for equality in life, everybody needs to have the same opportunities etc etc (very liberal, if I was living in the US, Bernie would still be a bit rightwing for me)

But...
F1, under Bernie (E that is, not S) became serious big commercial business and looking just at what brands and marketing are worth for each other, I think the separate Ferrari fund isn't that strange.
F1 (or FOM) generates a lot more money with Ferrari in it and a lot of marketing Ferrari does, is beneficial to F1, same goes more or less for Mercedes and McLaren/Williams, but they have similar payments as well.

A fair system for that would be:
-start money
-prize money for how well you've done
-F1 marketing value outside races (like RedBull is doing with its F1 cars in ads, Mercedes using it's cars and stars in their ads)
-brand value (a % of how much value a certain brand is adding to the income of the FOM)

Start and prize money should be enough to run a team like Manor, sponsorship could be used to generate profit or make the car go faster. This way you'll keep a sustainable formula.

SectorOne

Funnily enough Bernie has now stated he would like to see a more fair prize money distribution and mentioned Premier Leaue.
The problem right now is contracts going to 2020 though.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Jolle

SectorOne wrote:Funnily enough Bernie has now stated he would like to see a more fair prize money distribution and mentioned Premier Leaue.
The problem right now is contracts going to 2020 though.
That's Bernie tactics.
"I want to chance but the big teams don't want that, I'm not the evil here..."

With Bernie it's always why he's saying something, not what.