How would you edit Hockenheimring?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JMGV196

How would you edit Hockenheimring?

The title pretty much explains itself. How would you edit the Hockenheimring to make it good and not just another boring Tilkedrome?

DiogoBrand

Re: How would you edit Hockenheimring?

Isn't it as simple as bringing back the pre 2002 layout? And isn't this an useless discussion since it's not gonna happen?

Vasconia

And since the re-design was already done, destroying what it was a legendary track. :(

Bring back the old layout!!!

flickerf1

Why did they get rid of the old layout? Was it for safety reasons?
The Wicked + The Divine.

matt21

The old layout was simply too long, so the spectators didn´t see the cars too often.

2001: 45 laps
2002: 67 laps

And, big AND, if you have more laps, the advertisments on the race track are more often shown on TV.

So for me it was simply a demand by Bernie E. aka money

santos

The old is gone... and it's never coming back. The circuit had to be shortened and the state of Baden-Württemberg payed the modifications. The old part of the circuit was destroyed and the pavement was replaced with trees.

Steven
Owner

Officially, the change was made because it was deemed unsafe to have such a long circuit with high speeds. Back in the days, it was considered an increasingly important issue that the safety car and medical car could take a fairly long time before getting to an accident, especially if that would happen at the far end of the track.

I also think that they wanted to have some extra corners, towards where we now have the Mercedes grand stand. As it further increased the length of the track, the eventual layout ended up being a very compact circuit.

I was there once during the GP, about 10 years ago, and having visited Spa 3 times before that, I was amazed how little you had to walk to go places :)
And to conclude, I don't think this is a boring circuit as it is now.

skoop

i would add a killer looping :D

thedutchguy

Steven wrote:And to conclude, I don't think this is a boring circuit as it is now.
The new circuit isn't boring, but it's nothing special either. The old circuit was pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkXbVP34Pho

Vasconia

thedutchguy wrote:
Steven wrote:And to conclude, I don't think this is a boring circuit as it is now.
The new circuit isn't boring, but it's nothing special either. The old circuit was pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkXbVP34Pho
100% agree, not bad but the old one was... =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

Pingguest

I would go back to the old layout, preferable without the chicanes. If that would be too fast, change the cars instead.