More Ramblings From Bernie...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ScottB

Re: More Ramblings From Bernie...

wesley123 wrote:I never see any issue in someone having his opinion. It's not like Bernie is telling that F1 cars should drive backwards or anything related to his position.

What he is saying is simply something like this: "I don't like cheese". Sure, you can have an different opinion on that and you can voice said opinion. However, what imo is happening more here is ridiculing someone for not sharing your opinion, the title of the topic surely gives that impression.

You can disagree with Bernie's opinion, but to call them ramblings, call him senile and whatnot(which seems to be the trend in these topics) for not sharing your opinion(or the popular opinion) is a bit over-the-top if you ask me.

EDIT: I completely missed the article. I thought it was about him saying Putin should be in charge of Europe. http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/a ... in-sorrell
But it's not some random old guy giving his opinion in isolation, is it?

It's the boss of F1, its public face, giving his opinion, as the boss of the sport. What he says has repercussions on the view that companies and people have of him, and by extension, the sport.

Would the head of the English Premiership ever give an interview to explain his admiration for Putin? Would the boss of Indycar come out and say he didn't think women made good racing drivers? Perhaps they may have these opinions in private, for all we know, but they are smart enough not to damage their sport by airing them on a platform given to them by their job.

As boss of Formula One, Bernie's responsibility should be to ensure the sport is viewed in the best possible light. But instead he uses it as a platform for his own views, be it on politics, immigration or his desire for a fanbase of old Rolex wearers, while taking the sport on a tour of dictatorships at the expense of the fanbase to fill his already over flowing pockets.

Hell even in straight sporting terms, you'd never get the boss of the Premiership criticising the product or demanding ridiculous rule changes to mix things up! Bernie's only in it for one thing; Bernie.

ScottB

Speaking of freedom of speech, Bernie was quite happy to ban the drivers from openly complaining about Pirelli, presumably because it damaged the value of his commercial deal. Clearly that's not an issue he applies to himself!

Vasconia

It seems that he just only wants to provoke. Because all the comments seem to be a compilation of "the best of" to generate controversy.

tuj
tuj

autogyro said "As to women in F1, they are not on average as strong as men"

True, but with power steering, as I'm sure you know, what difference does this make? And we're not talking about 'average' individuals, we are talking about *exceptional* individuals. There are NO average drivers, men or women, in F1. Nor is there an 'average' fitness level; the fitness of all the drivers is top-notch.

And I'm pretty sure Rhonda Rousey can still kick your arse, despite your machismo.

autogyro

tuj wrote:autogyro said "As to women in F1, they are not on average as strong as men"

True, but with power steering, as I'm sure you know, what difference does this make? And we're not talking about 'average' individuals, we are talking about *exceptional* individuals. There are NO average drivers, men or women, in F1. Nor is there an 'average' fitness level; the fitness of all the drivers is top-notch.

And I'm pretty sure Rhonda Rousey can still kick your arse, despite your machismo.
Having suffered a heart attack just over a year ago I expect she could, however back in the day I doubt it.
Power steering is essential with high DF and it reduces driver feel.
Proper F1 cars had no power steering and had manually operated gearboxes that allowed the driver to use 50 percent of his (or her ;-) ) skill to control the balance of the car through these items.
Sadly all gone today, next step robo cars.

tuj
tuj

We can lament the advent of high DF, semi-automatic gearboxes, perhaps even front-engine chassis'; it is true that a lot has changed, and physically, the cars are easier to drive in many regards.

However, contemporary women are making tremendous strides when you consider the *exceptional*, not the average. I suspect that a contemporary elite woman athlete, would easily beat any average male at almost any physical discipline, be it from your generation or mine. There are very few realms that elite female athletes are excluded from. I personally don't believe that turning a large-diameter manual steering wheel is beyond the capability of an elite female driver. Nor is shoving a gear-shift.

These days women are a part of all aspects of our society. Why you seem to choose to denigrate the capabilities at the elite end of the spectrum baffles me; after all we are not talking about average human beings when we consider F1 pilots.

BTW, I've seen some fierce female competitors driving manual steering, formula cars in SCCA Solo2....just sayin'

Just_a_fan

autogyro wrote: Proper F1 cars had no power steering and had manually operated gearboxes
"Proper"..." Proper"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old bloke doing the whole stereotypical "in my day" routine is sad really. At least this was funny...:http://youtu.be/VKHFZBUTA4k
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Pat Moss, anyone?

autogyro

Just_a_fan wrote:
autogyro wrote: Proper F1 cars had no power steering and had manually operated gearboxes
"Proper"..." Proper"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old bloke doing the whole stereotypical "in my day" routine is sad really. At least this was funny...:http://youtu.be/VKHFZBUTA4k
I think we will see who is sad when F1 finally destroys itself because of all the input from the modern western generation with no life experience.
Soon there will be no need for drivers.
When it ends it will be the year of the pussy.

Just_a_fan

autogyro wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:Pat Moss, anyone?
I thought we were talking about F1 cars, a Healey 3000 is hardly difficult to drive.
The Simonite sisters were pretty good as well.

I suppose you want a Black lesbian with a burka for the token involvement so as to keep it PC right?
The FIA could make the cars even more 'driver friendly' and they could fit prayer mats in the pits.
Just put them in the fastest car and they would win no problem.
It's not about being PC, it's about excluding 50% of the population just because they have tits.

You sound like a typical British male born in the 1930-40s. Bigoted, racist and, no doubt, homophobic. Indeed, you sound a lot like my dad - same generation I guess.

Sad, really, that change scares people so much...

Just_a_fan

autogyro wrote: I think we will see who is sad when F1 finally destroys itself because of all the input from the modern western generation with no life experience..
Life experience? Do you mean only old people should determine how F1 develops? Bernie's doing a great job of showing that idea up as idiotic.

Could you let us all know at what age we are allowed to have an opinion please. I'm a mere 45 years old and would like to know how much longer I have to wait.

SectorOne

The greatest trick Bernie ever had was making people think he was senile.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

donskar

To reiterate the (IMO) key point:
When Bernie speaks in public he represents NOT just himself, but also F1 as a whole -- teams, drivers, manufacturers, sponsors, fans, etc. He speaks not only for himself but also for literally millions of fans and stakeholders. In that sense, his comments were irresponsible. Also pertinent, his position gives him exposure and a degree of gravitas that none of us can claim.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

OneAlex

I try to pretend Bernie doesn't exist. Quite frankly I have no idea how such a vile little man can stay in charge of one of the world's biggest sports, or how he hasn't managed to somehow be sued using anti-discrimination laws.

The trouble is, while he is just one sad old man shouting out to the world, he is still inextricably linked to F1, and the sport still dances to his tune.

As much as we can say he doesn't represent the sport and F1 doesn't agree with him, the sport still followed him into Bahrain in the middle of the Arab Spring and held a race under martial law, and the sport still followed him to Sochi after Russia invaded Ukraine and Bernie agreed with Putin that "gays should stay away from children".

Teams don't even speak out against these things; if any team speaks out against Bernie's views on female drivers, it will be the exception, not the norm, and by not speaking out and instead going along with it all, they're essentially supporting him, and his views.

autogyro

OneAlex wrote:I try to pretend Bernie doesn't exist. Quite frankly I have no idea how such a vile little man can stay in charge of one of the world's biggest sports, or how he hasn't managed to somehow be sued using anti-discrimination laws.

The trouble is, while he is just one sad old man shouting out to the world, he is still inextricably linked to F1, and the sport still dances to his tune.

As much as we can say he doesn't represent the sport and F1 doesn't agree with him, the sport still followed him into Bahrain in the middle of the Arab Spring and held a race under martial law, and the sport still followed him to Sochi after Russia invaded Ukraine and Bernie agreed with Putin that "gays should stay away from children".

Teams don't even speak out against these things; if any team speaks out against Bernie's views on female drivers, it will be the exception, not the norm, and by not speaking out and instead going along with it all, they're essentially supporting him, and his views.
You are simply wrong and when Bernie exits F1 it will collapse.
There would never have been F1 if it were not for Bernie.
Last edited by Steven on 23 Apr 2016, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Let's be nice, shall we?