More Ramblings From Bernie...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: More Ramblings From Bernie...

And the show goes on...

"Ecclestone says F1 was in a much stronger position 'when I was a dictator'"

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one ... z4771SMWeY

Andres125sx

Bernie Ecclestone wrote:This is what happens when democracy does not work. We need to go back to the good old days, when we built Formula One into what it is today. When I was in a much stronger position. When I was a dictator. But with the current democracy, we have people manipulating the sport in their own interests.
Someone should explain him what a democracy really is, or he should try asking Sauber, FI, Manor or any other team wich is not a top team if F1 is a democracy where everybody´s opinion count the same #-o

Just_a_fan

It's all about power for Bernie. Always has been. That and the money that comes with it, of course.

He moans that the teams have power. The real issue is that the power lays anywhere but with the FIA. The marketing guy shouldn't be running the show anymore than the teams should be. The FIA should be setting the agenda, the rules, the calendar. Marketing (FOM) shouldn't be involved in any of that.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mcdenife

we have people manipulating the sport in their own interests
This is so funny. Its ok for Emperor, President for life, Field Marshal Bernie. first of his name (and hopefully the last) but not the peasants.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

turbof1

mcdenife wrote:
This is so funny. Its ok for Emperor, President for life, Field Marshal Bernie. first of his name (and hopefully the last) but not the peasants.
Am I smelling a blue wedding-esque moment for Bernie in the future :lol: ?
#AeroFrodo

mcdenife

turbof1 wrote:
mcdenife wrote:
Am I smelling a blue wedding-esque moment for Bernie in the future :lol: ?
The peasants are revolting and need a new champion. The emperor tore up the 'magna carta' .
Where are you Tyrion?
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

krisfx

Just_a_fan wrote:I don't think F1, on track, has become boring. What has become boring is the constant political infighting that dominates the coverage of the sport.

What has also become boring is Bernie's move to marginalise the majority of fans by making it increasingly expensive and difficult to watch the races. For example, I live a 15 minute drive from Silverstone. I have been to the GP there in the past but the price to attend, for what one gets in return, is now excessive. £185 to get in the gate on race day. That just gets you in the gate. On race day there is basically the race and that's it unless you can stay for the concert afterwards. There are hours of sitting watching an empty track. There used to be lots of stuff going on around the track but it's now just the basic team-related merchandise mostly. Oh, and it's £50 to park your car if you don't fancy the park-and-ride system (that's a tenner which is pretty good value all things considered). The reason the price is so high is because Bernie charges the circuit a ridiculous amount to host the race.

I had great times back in the mid-90s at the Silverstone GP and have enjoyed some Friday practices over the years since but I can't justify £200+ for 90 minutes of racing. I can afford it, no problem, but I can't justify it in any way as good value for money.
I also live close to Silverstone and that's a joke. I went to the 6hr WEC race, on Friday and Saturday, there was loads to do, access to every grandstand/the wing/paddock and plenty going on for £35. It's difficult to really understand the reasoning behind F1 in its current guise.

krisfx

Andres125sx wrote:And the show goes on...

F1 needs a "dictator", as much as I disagree with him, there is some truth in what he says. The teams are running the show, that doesn't happen in other sports, for example football. Why should it happen here?

It should be "Here are the rules, if you don't like it, race elsewhere"

Big Mangalhit

krisfx wrote:

F1 needs a "dictator", as much as I disagree with him, there is some truth in what he says. The teams are running the show, that doesn't happen in other sports, for example football. Why should it happen here?

English premier league is run by the teams and it works very well. FIFA on the other hand runs the sport above any entity and that has given us a corrupt world cup in qatar and some accounts in Panama. I don't think FIFA does football any good to be honest, but luckily the powers are to spread between local leagues and UEFA and etc.
Anyway I also don't like teams deciding rules, but I also don't like a dictator doing it

Just_a_fan

krisfx wrote:
I also live close to Silverstone and that's a joke. I went to the 6hr WEC race, on Friday and Saturday, there was loads to do, access to every grandstand/the wing/paddock and plenty going on for £35. It's difficult to really understand the reasoning behind F1 in its current guise.
That sounds like a great day out. I'd have gone if circumstances had allowed.

F1 is where it is because Bernie is bringing every last penny he can out of it for CVC.

mcdenife

krisfx wrote:

Yes shouldnt be run by the teams (not that I agree it is) but neither should it be run by Bernie or any other dictator for that matter. Using your football analogy , the FA or UEFA make the rules not the Premier league or the champions league. They merely run the commercial side of things, scheduling and distribution/sharing of the proceeds etc........with no dictator involvement

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:It's all about power for Bernie. Always has been. That and the money that comes with it, of course.
Yep, he has an interesting combination of Megalomania & Napoleon syndrome, with a bit of senile mixed in!
197 104 103 7

strad

Racing series historically seem to work best under a dictator.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan

Perhaps so, but the dictator should be the FIA, not a money-grabbing middle man. The FIA should be saying "here are the rules and regulations under which you will race, here are the circuits and here is the calendar". They should also control the dissemination of the coverage of the races.

Max and Bernie did a shady deal that handed huge income to Bernie and his friends. The FIA, the body without which there can be no Formula 1, got a pittance then and little more than that now. The fact that Bernie then went on to trademark/copyright "Formula 1", "Grands Prix" and similar associated terms shows exactly what was planned from the off by him and Max.