Kvyat sittuation: such bulls,,t

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Nebhotep

Kvyat sittuation: such bulls,,t

Hi everyone,
To me this is an extra argument to the case Formula one is a hypocrite sport with equally hypocritical people.
1. As Ted Kravitz said, Sebastian Vettel was equally "crashy" in his early career races: see Australia 2009 with Kubica and Spa 2010 with Button, and maybe there are other that come to mind.
2. In China, the fault was with Raikkonen, as he steered into Vettel at the start, in turn one.
3. In Russia, Kvyat was at fault for the turn one crashing into the back of Vettel and consequently Vettel crashing into Ricciardo. The second hit was in my opinion a racing incident, as Vettel chose an outside trajectory which he couldn't sustain with relatively low temperature tyres. The subsequent braking from Vettel was too much for Kvyat to react to...My oppinion is he was unlucky at the second incident(Kvyat, that is).
My oppinion is RedBull have made a political decision and not in the spirit of the sport.

Jolle
Jolle

Re: Kvyat sittuation: such bulls,,t

I presume that a professional racing team like RedBull is looking at more then just a few fender benders. They have tons of data. What they are looking for, is development of a driver. Crashing his way trough the first few laps the last GP was, if this wasn't already planned before the Russian GP, the last straw.

The Spanish GP is one of the best GP's to swap drivers because of the test afterwards.

Logie
Logie

He is a tidy driver but last season he had some performances that where very poor. Ricc pretty much always gets the most out of the car, even with the poor engine. But then he can put in some great races which properly leaves them a bit baffled.

But like most the media, I think its more to do with keeping Max from other teams in 2017. They got the excuse that Kvyat made some mistakes (im guessing there could of been a heated exchange of words, maybe something was said to offend Dr Marko) and swapped drivers.

Nebhotep

Jolle wrote:I presume that a professional racing team like RedBull is looking at more then just a few fender benders. They have tons of data. What they are looking for, is development of a driver. Crashing his way trough the first few laps the last GP was, if this wasn't already planned before the Russian GP, the last straw.

The Spanish GP is one of the best GP's to swap drivers because of the test afterwards.
Let's not forget this fender bender outscored Ricciardo in 2015...

santos
santos

Nebhotep wrote:Hi everyone,
To me this is an extra argument to the case Formula one is a hypocrite sport with equally hypocritical people.
1. As Ted Kravitz said, Sebastian Vettel was equally "crashy" in his early career races: see Australia 2009 with Kubica and Spa 2010 with Button, and maybe there are other that come to mind.
2. In China, the fault was with Raikkonen, as he steered into Vettel at the start, in turn one.
3. In Russia, Kvyat was at fault for the turn one crashing into the back of Vettel and consequently Vettel crashing into Ricciardo. The second hit was in my opinion a racing incident, as Vettel chose an outside trajectory which he couldn't sustain with relatively low temperature tyres. The subsequent braking from Vettel was too much for Kvyat to react to...My oppinion is he was unlucky at the second incident(Kvyat, that is).
My oppinion is RedBull have made a political decision and not in the spirit of the sport.
Forget the second hit. The race for Vettel and Ricciardo was finished in the first. The second hit was just the confirmation.

JonoNic

Hey guys this is my first post and I thought this is a good place to start.

So take the emotions out of it and it makes good business sense. With Verstappen taking a new seat, his contract will need to be reviewed. Time to sign him up for another couple of years then Mercedes and Ferrari can't touch him. If Kvyat settles in for the rest of the year then he keeps his seat at TR the following season. Everyone involved in this musical chairs still have a drive the next race weekend.
Always find the gap then use it.

santos
santos

Max have a contract untill the end of 2017 with Red Bull. In a time that is spoken that he may go to Ferrari or Mercedes, Red Bull saw an oppotunity to protect is new star, giving him a place.

iotar__

JonoNic wrote:Hey guys this is my first post and I thought this is a good place to start.

So take the emotions out of it and it makes good business sense. With Verstappen taking a new seat, his contract will need to be reviewed. Time to sign him up for another couple of years then Mercedes and Ferrari can't touch him. If Kvyat settles in for the rest of the year then he keeps his seat at TR the following season. Everyone involved in this musical chairs still have a drive the next race weekend.
I agree it's not about emotions but the reasons are in the completely opposite direction:

They're not taking chances with Sainz being better in the ~15 remaining races because they see that new Senna is less and less new Senna (marketing and track). Wise choice and very funny. Red Bull's "escape from any competition" drivers management is one of the biggest pathologies in F1. However you try to spin it they make choices before on track achievements.

F1 - where you fail upwards and even carefully managed internal pseudo-competition is too much for "chosen ones". His contract is not an issue since:
A. he has one for the next season (source: RB).
B. no one wanted to hire him anyway. Do you really think Merc are stupid enough to replace Rosberg or Hamilton #-o with Sainz jr level driver? Ferrari might be ;-) but they weren't planning it anyway, only made up stories as a way of promoting a driver by association
C. Red Bull and Toro Rosso are the same as shown by this ridiculous exchange, no issue of "new" contract.

Nebhotep

Webber2011
Webber2011

Hey Guys, just a thought.

What happens to the tyre allocations for the next race then ?
Are they considered to be made by the Team, or the Driver ?

And can they be changed now ?

Thanks

domh245
domh245

The tyre selection is based on the car and is made by the team. Verstappen will take Kvyats selection and v. v. Similarly verstappen will inherit Kvyats PU components, & gearbox

Webber2011
Webber2011

domh245 wrote:The tyre selection is based on the car and is made by the team. Verstappen will take Kvyats selection and v. v. Similarly verstappen will inherit Kvyats PU components, & gearbox
I checked the regs and that only applies

If one of the team’s nominated drivers is unable to drive at some stage after the end of
initial scrutineering, and the stewards consent to a change of driver, the replacement
driver must use the engine, gearbox and tyres which were allocated to the original
driver (see Articles 23.4, 23.6 and 24.4).

So this is a little different, there's nothing about the actual compounds they've chosen.
Kvyat and Verstappen have chosen which tyres they wanted for the next race, and I'm wondering if that can now be changed ?

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Webber2011 wrote:
domh245 wrote:The tyre selection is based on the car and is made by the team. Verstappen will take Kvyats selection and v. v. Similarly verstappen will inherit Kvyats PU components, & gearbox

If one of the team’s nominated drivers is unable to drive at some stage after the end of
initial scrutineering, and the stewards consent to a change of driver, the replacement
driver must use the engine, gearbox and tyres which were allocated to the original
driver (see Articles 23.4, 23.6 and 24.4).

So this is a little different, there's nothing about the actual compounds they've chosen.
Kvyat and Verstappen have chosen which tyres they wanted for the next race, and I'm wondering if that can now be changed ?
If the FIA allow tyres to be swapped when a driver moves teams ? Then it shouldn't be that difficult for Pirrelli to swap the Tyre supply.
However I'm guessing Red Bull might want to stick with the tyre choice based on it's needs rather than
the drivers.

Bomber_Pilot

Webber2011 wrote:

driver
(see Articles 23.4, 23.6 and 24.4).

This means exactly that. Verstappen will use tires that were chosen for(by) Kvyat and vice versa.

Webber2011
Webber2011

Bomber_Pilot wrote:
Webber2011 wrote:

driver
(see Articles 23.4, 23.6 and 24.4).

This means exactly that. Verstappen will use tires that were chosen for(by) Kvyat and vice versa.
It doesn't actually, it refers to being "unable to drive at some stage after the end of initial scrutineering" so that's why I wasn't sure.

Anyhow, I found the relevant regulation :wink:

Use of tyres :
a) Tyres will only be deemed to have been used once the car’s timing transponder has
shown that it has left the pit lane.
b) If an additional driver is used (see Article 26.1(b)) he must use the tyres allocated to the
nominated driver he replaced.