More HP more excitement

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer

More HP more excitement

Back in the original turbo day's they'd run 1400hp during qually, but hardly a chassis that could cope with it. Those are some exciting images to watch. During a rain race, a car also has far to much power and almost no grip. We get to see some great racing.

So would races look more exciting of we get allot of more engine power? So much, drivers need to feather the throttle even more.

I mean, we could do so, by allowing an increase in MGU-K to 200-300kw. With current V6 the drivers will have a few short bursts of power to control, but not for a whole lap since ES will be depleted sooner.

Would this be fun?

wesley123
wesley123

Re: More HP more excitement

I think people live in the illusion that they can somehow recreate the '80s. The technology, and more importantly, resources of the teams have vastly improved. They'll easily overcome whatever '80s recreation got thrown against them, after which everyone will complain once more how boring it is.

Traction control got removed in 2008 with the thought that that would make everything much more exciting as drivers have to really drive the cars once more(because you know, they really don't have to). And has anyone really noticed any difference? I sure haven't. The deficit of not having TC(and all those other cool gimmicks) was easily overcome, and all you really got was drivers holding 80% throttle out of corners instead of flooring it.

No one is going to do stupid stuff like make their cars more slidey because it looks cool. Whatever people want to try to bring because in the 80s that was super-duper cool, it's not going to work.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

zac510
zac510

Not another thread of regulatory onanism.
No good turn goes unpunished.

Jolle
Jolle

you want more crashes because the cars become unpredictable? More horsepower doesn't do that, the mid eighties big turbos caused that, which made racing on full power more a game of "having the biggest balls" instead of great skill.

Racing changed. In the eighties, in motor and car racing, there was a unbalance in power vs drivability and stiffness. With carbon, cleaver motor electronics and better aero, those days will never come back.

Vasconia

Less downforce and faster cars, its that easy. If they cars have more power but a lot of downforce which generates dirty air, things will be boring as hell.