Barcelona In-Season Test 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Vasconia

Re: Barcelona In-Season Test 2016

Sasha wrote:No upgrades on the Honda PU at the test today.Just running qual mode.(can't do that in the race because they would be about 10kg of fuel short)

Looks like no upgrades for Canada.....the soonest would be Spa if all goes right on test rig.(and it would be big....CC,Turbine and MGU-H)
I thought it was pretty much confirmed that they were going to introduce a big update in the PU for Canada. I guess the next important chasis evolution will be for Spa.

Was finnally Vettel the fastest one?

ME4ME

Wehrlein gets last-minute Mercedes call-up at Barcelona
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wehrl ... na-737841/

Poor guy Ocon was all excited yesterday in his interviews :?

LookBackTime

WILLIAMS RACING โ€@WilliamsRacing
An hour into the session & @MassaFelipe19 has completed the most laps on the board, with 18. Aero work is the focus again today. #F1Testing

turbof1

ME4ME wrote:Wehrlein gets last-minute Mercedes call-up at Barcelona

Well, as the rules force the teams to give test drivers (test drivers as in a driver not currently active in F1) a minimum amount of time in the car during those tests (I believe across a season days), Ocon will get his 2 days during the test in Silverstone.

It's perhaps better as that means he can work 2 days straight with the car instead of 2 separate days.

It also means Hamilton will not get a test day.
#AeroFrodo

FW17

turbof1 wrote:

Well, as the rules force the teams to give test drivers (test drivers as in a driver not currently active in F1) a minimum amount of time in the car during those tests (I believe across a season days), Ocon will get his 2 days during the test in Silverstone.

It's perhaps better as that means he can work 2 days straight with the car instead of 2 separate days.

Maybe Ocon would have been in the car had he and Ricciardo not been so vocal about the upgraded engine

ME4ME

turbof1 wrote:

What rule specifically do you refer to? Had a brief look at the regulations, couldn't find it.

turbof1

FW17 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:

Maybe Ocon would have been in the car had he and Ricciardo not been so vocal about the upgraded engine
It would not have mattered for Mercedes as the rule for a minimum amount of testing days for test drivers goes for each team.

It will however be interesting how it plays out since both Renault and Mercedes use Ocon as a test driver. Renault still needs to put in one day for a test driver, while Mercedes needs both. Only 2 days of testing remain at Silverstone, so one of these teams needs to look for a different test driver for atleast one day.
ME4ME wrote:What rule specifically do you refer to? Had a brief look at the regulations, couldn't find it.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... est-callup
The decision to run Wehrlein means Lewis Hamilton will not drive in this year's in-season tests as Mercedes will need to use its two remaining days for young drivers as per the rules.
I don't know which rule this is either. It might either be a sporting rule or a directive. I'll have a look myself.
#AeroFrodo

turbof1

ME4ME wrote:
turbof1 wrote:

What rule specifically do you refer to? Had a brief look at the regulations, couldn't find it.
I got it!

http://www.fia.com/file/40714/download?token=ZyrF6OFN

10.6 h) i) second paragraph:
Each team must allocate at least two of the above days for young driver training tests. No driver who has competed in more than two F1 World Championship races may take part in such tests and all drivers must be in possession of an International A Licence
So apparently a young test driver qualifies as someone who has only done 2 races at most. Vandoorne qualifies for that as he only did 1 race. Wehrlein does not.

Still, Mercedes choosing for Wehrlein today is interesting. Since Renault and Mercedes share the same young test driver, and Renault still having to allocate one day to a young test driver and Mercedes 2, and with only 2 such tests days remaining, one of the 2 needs to find an additional young test driver.
#AeroFrodo

WaikeCU

@Turbo

You don't want to make this thread a Rosberg-Hamilton debate do you? :lol: :lol:

inb4 Lewis fanboys.

turbof1

WaikeCU wrote:@Turbo

You don't want to make this thread a Rosberg-Hamilton debate do you? :lol: :lol:

inb4 Lewis fanboys.
Dear god, what have I done #-o .

In all honesty, it's not that a big of a deal for the driver as he can just enter the super realistic semulator. It's more of a disadvantage for the team as you'd want experienced drivers for feedback.
#AeroFrodo

OneAlex

Without wishing to turn this into a Lewis/Nico thread, could this last minute switch be seen as a warning shot to the two drivers that there is a third Merc driver ready to replace them after Spain?

Alternatively, if it was a case of wanting a more experienced driver in the car to test it, are they perhaps becoming jittery about what upgrades other teams are bringing and so feel they need to maximise their testing at this point in the season?

Given the headache switching Ocon will have caused (and will cause for the next test) I can't see them changing drivers as they have on a mere whim without some good reason.

domh245

Ocon in the Mercedes for the next 2 testing days, and then Renault could use Sirotkin for 1 and one of their race drivers for the other?

turbof1

OneAlex wrote:Without wishing to turn this into a Lewis/Nico thread, could this last minute switch be seen as a warning shot to the two drivers that there is a third Merc driver ready to replace them after Spain?
No. Again it's too much of an issue for the team that one of their drivers who have the most experience with the car and is in the best position to give valuable feedback to keep out of the car, just to give a "warning shot". I rather believe this is a contractual issue where Wehrlein has right on one testing day for Mercedes. That or Mercedes overnight decided to fast track upgrades (it is possibly to fly these over during the night) and neither Hamilton or Rosberg was available.

Let's avoid turning this into a political issue since it is too much a compromise for the team to do that. Whatever the reason ultimately, they will have a very good reason for this sudden change.
#AeroFrodo

PlatinumZealot

Sasha wrote:
davidfroshanzen wrote:
Sasha wrote:No upgrades on the Honda PU at the test today.Just running qual mode.(can't do that in the race because they would be about 10kg of fuel short)

Looks like no upgrades for Canada.....the soonest would be Spa if all goes right on test rig.(and it would be big....CC,Turbine and MGU-H)
how much of the increase hp ?

Everybody gets confused with this engine formula.It's not the hp you can get,it's the energy you can get from the fuel.(the PU with the higher efficiency wins) So pretty much look at the modern marine diesel power plants for clues.Every % better means more power from the limited flow and capacity.
You seem to be confused because at the end of the day the more power you can get out of every drop of fuel also means your engine's efficiency has increased.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

ME4ME

turbof1 wrote:I got it!

http://www.fia.com/file/40714/download?token=ZyrF6OFN

10.6 h) i) second paragraph:
Each team must allocate at least two of the above days for young driver training tests. No driver who has competed in more than two F1 World Championship races may take part in such tests and all drivers must be in possession of an International A Licence
Good find! Thanks.