Tear-off innovation!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle

Tear-off innovation!

Starting from Monaco '16 drivers can't throw their tear-offs out of the car anymore and as this is a technical forum, let's give them some innovative ideas (plus a few silly ones)

I'll start: connecting each tear-off with a fish line to a loaded spring on the back of the HANS system, so at the press of s button, they get automatically pulled inside a small tube.

An other system is like they use in motor cross. A role of film, with a cord to pull it past the visor.

bhall II

Re: Tear-off innovation!

Jolle wrote:...let's give them some innovative ideas (plus a few silly ones)
Pockets maybe?

I don't mean for that to seem patronizing. I just get a kick out of watching F1 overengineer the hell out of everything.

mrluke

How about a canopy?

Teams will remove tear offs during pit stops so can dispose of however they wish :)

zac510

bhall II wrote:
Jolle wrote:...let's give them some innovative ideas (plus a few silly ones)
Pockets maybe?

I don't mean for that to seem patronizing. I just get a kick out of watching F1 overengineer the hell out of everything.
I read that the tear-offs are flammable so they're concerned about them burning through the overalls. However maybe a less flammable alternative could be made.

Overall the amount of "we can't solve this problem" from the teams seems bizarre. It's got to be one of the least difficult technical problems they solve this season.
No good turn goes unpunished.

piast9

So if tear-offs are flammable then the easiest way of getting rid of them is using a lighter.

NL_Fer

A doorpocket like we have in our cara?

PlatinumZealot

Motorized rollers on the side of the helmet that pull the tear-off away?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u

piast9 wrote:So if tear-offs are flammable then the easiest way of getting rid of them is using a lighter.
this one for the win :mrgreen:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

Anyway, just put it between the legs. i don't know how many tear-offs the use during a race, but most races are a 2-stop i'd say and some a 3-stop or 1-stop, so
lets say that atleast 2 times they can dump their tear-offs during pitstops.

next year we might have canopies so the entire visor thing will be of the past.
interestingly enough, if they have a canopy, or let's say redbull-style aeroscreen, then they dont even need to have a visor alltogether.
obviously, the tearoffs will be like the pic of above, and those are only possible during pitstops.

since it however is not much of an issue for the WEC, and other raceclasses, i dont see how it will become too much of an issue for F1 (regarding visibility).
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Th0r_H

How about sticky paper (like fly paper) located on the inside of the cockpit?
Pull off tear off - stick it to the sticky paper- problem solved.

Something like this:

This has the added bonus of viewers being entertained by the driver trying to drive with one hand if they manage to really stick their glove to the paper.

FYI
long time lurker first time poster

Andres125sx

As mentioned, mx roll-offs would solve it

Problem with roll-offs is they only keep clean a narrow strip instead of the whole gogle/visor, but that´s not a problem for F1 drivers, they don´t need spatial awareness up and down

For a silly solution, this would work :mrgreen:

And it is a real product!
http://www.banggood.com/Motorcycle-Face ... 49040.html

:lol: :lol: :lol: