Virtual reality in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Virtual reality in F1

Virtual Reality technology has the potential to transform the way Formula 1 coverage is consumed worldwide in the future, according to Formula 1 board member Sir Martin Sorrell.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3402 ... ng-for-f1/

What do you guys think about this?

For me, the potential be at an F1 race without actually being there is the biggest selling point for me. Imagine viewing the race live from any corner you choose - not just a fixed view but from any angle you want while experience the sounds in 3D, or even taking a peek into the garages! Who here wanted to be on the podium with Justin Beiber in Monaco (to kick him in the gonads)?

Amazing if they do it right.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

Re: Virtual reality in F1

personally, I'd rather view the race from the drivers perspective.
197 104 103 7

Manoah2u

I just miss Watson's commentary.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Paul

The way F1 has been implementing broadcasting technology, won't happen until year 3000.

FrukostScones

Paul wrote:The way F1 has been implementing broadcasting technology, won't happen until year 3000.
and are you going to cryo yourself to enjoy it then?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ChrisDanger

Formula E seem to be doing something to this effect, as seen in the video below, although it's not quite what I expected. It seems a bit too artificial for me. I'd much rather see real footage from selected stationary vantage points around the track as well as some onboard positions. But we'll have to wait at least a few more years for that while VR technology matures and broadcasting capabilities increase. In the meantime the old man himself has come out in support of VR, so we could start seeing this in F1 soon.

FrukostScones

ChrisDanger wrote:Formula E seem to be doing something to this effect, as seen in the video below, although it's not quite what I expected. It seems a bit too artificial for me. I'd much rather see real footage from selected stationary vantage points around the track as well as some onboard positions. But we'll have to wait at least a few more years for that while VR technology matures and broadcasting capabilities increase. In the meantime the old man himself has come out in support of VR, so we could start seeing this in F1 soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aWy-K14F6Q
practising cheating for RoboRace?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

mzivtins

real time GPS data into graphically rendered scenes like... a game, a VR headset and you're away.

That is VR, im pretty sure we are all thinking of something different, which is just 360 cam with a headset display.

I think the appeal of it would last just for one or two races, there is a critical element to VR that makes it a killer product, and that is; control

ChrisDanger

This is an interesting hint of the way things might be headed.
Tata Communications wrote:Tata Communications, Official Connectivity Provider to Formula 1 and the Official Managed Connectivity Supplier of the MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS Formula One Team, has today unveiled Datu YogaBrata from Singapore as the winner of the 2016 F1 Connectivity Innovation Prize. Datu YogaBrata was given a cheque for $50,000 and a bespoke trophy by Lewis Hamilton during a ceremony at the 2016 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX in Austin, Texas.

This year’s prize, which involved two challenges set by Formula One Management and the MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS Formula One Team, called for F1 fans to explore ideas about how virtual reality (VR) or augmented reality (AR) could enhance the Formula 1 experience for fans and help the teams work more effectively together in the run-up to and during each Grand Prix.
Paddy Lowe wrote: This competition is unique because the ideas will actually contribute to the sport one way or the other.
Datu YogaBrata's technical diagram:

Tata Communications Press Release

zac510

I think it would be a great novelty to be able to watch the track from particular corners, or from a spot in the pit lane.
However in the qualifying or race I think people will still prefer the director's cuts (even though they're sometimes not perfect). If you're VRing from one spot you'll potentially miss a lot of on-track action following a battle. I know when you're at the track you can't see the whole track or follow a driver either but you either have a screen nearby or you watch the race replay afterwards to see what you missed.
Thus I think the VR will be a nice novelty for practice sessions.

ChrisDanger

James Allen article on the subject of my post above, and some other details of what we can expect and when.

Insight: Real Time Gaming Against Live F1 Racers “Only Two Years Away”