Will Brexit have an impact on F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dans79

Re: Will Brexit have an impact on F1?

Personally I find the entire brexit issue fascinating. As an american I don't really have a dog in the fight, but the way it's reported here in the press it seems like primarily a generational & cultural issue.

those who wanted out: Older, working class, middle class, those who remember/know/value what it means to be British.

Those who wanted to stay: Young, hipsters, urban dwellers
197 104 103 7

Jolle

dans79 wrote:Personally I find the entire brexit issue fascinating. As an american I don't really have a dog in the fight, but the way it's reported here in the press it seems like primarily a generational & cultural issue.

those who wanted out: Older, working class, middle class, those who remember/know/value what it means to be British.

Those who wanted to stay: Young, hipsters, urban dwellers
Well, you (as in America) have a very similar fight at the moment, fraught with the same rhetoric and personalities involved.
- Make Britain great again was one of the frases used.

dans79

Jolle wrote: Well, you (as in America) have a very similar fight at the moment, fraught with the same rhetoric and personalities involved.
If I was British I would have voted to leave. For years now I have heard and read how EU law where slowly strangling small businesses to death.
197 104 103 7

turbof1

dans79 wrote:
Jolle wrote: Well, you (as in America) have a very similar fight at the moment, fraught with the same rhetoric and personalities involved.
If I was British I would have voted to leave. For years now I have heard and read how EU law where slowly strangling small businesses to death.
The EU is bureaucratically way off being efficient and small business-friendly yes, but saying it strangless small business is not true. It did take some measures for instance to make the lifes of starters more easy, such as enforcing private limited companies with low requirements on start up capital (however, that's poorly regulated and often abused for tax avoiding/evasing company structures.)
#AeroFrodo

Jolle

dans79 wrote:
I'm afraid that is simply not true. Again, rhetoric from Farage and Johnson. Today in the papers, a interview with the father of Gove, who he used as an example for how bad the EU was, that he had to close his business because of it. Turned out is was because of a local change in the port. Nothing to do with the EU.
On a Dutch forum with lots of pro and con people I gave them a challenge,: give one example of a bad desision or bad EU rule, which are not otherwise implemented by local governments or "common sense (like product safety, that protect consumer and producers)"

No one could. The only reactions I got was "boss in our own country" etc.

The biggest marketing problem of the EU is that it's there and it seems to do its work reletive quietly. Mind you, it's mostly a combination of all the burocratic systems of the members under a technocratic civil service system controlled by a senate.
The UK now has to install its own burocratic system again who will decide how long kids clothing may burn and every manufacturer has to redo their tests according to the new rules.

Small businesses now just don't have one set of rules to make their products by, but at least two (if they still want to export to the EU). This is not just time consuming but also expensive and unnecessary.
The EU rules, also because (of course every system has it flaws and corruption) as far as known, fairly decent and protective of local market products. A Kent Sausage can, under eu rules, when it's certified, only be made in a certain area with the same consistency. Without the EU, everybody can make that sausage and sell them as Kent Sausages.

The thing with the EU is a bit the same as with the economy. You have to do some more reading then the onliners from politicians.

dans79

Jolle wrote: The thing with the EU is a bit the same as with the economy. You have to do some more reading then the onliners from politicians.
What I have been getting most of my European news from is NPR, pretty much the last bastion of real reporting.

In the end it doesn't really matter, as I'm a cross between a Libertarian and a Reaganite, so I'm not overly fond of most European political/social constructs to start with.
197 104 103 7

Jolle

dans79 wrote:
Jolle wrote: The thing with the EU is a bit the same as with the economy. You have to do some more reading then the onliners from politicians.
What I have been getting most of my European news from is NPR, pretty much the last bastion of real reporting.

In the end it doesn't really matter, as I'm a cross between a Libertarian and a Reaganite, so I'm not overly fond of most European political/social constructs to start with.
Nah, we're very fond of our healthcare and social security :P

But I do enjoy the cultural clash between Europe and the Americans once in a while.
I've worked in live music trough my twenties and once toured with a US band, and we were at a local groucery market, as it happened behind the minister of economics at the time. Those guys just wouldn't believe be that she was there, not only doing her own shopping but also without any protection or bodyguards. I introduced them to her, it was very very funny (imagine tree heavenly tattooed bearded guys smelling a bit odd and the minister of economics having a genuine chat with them)

Plus they think our cars are so small... (I was driving a Saab 96, with yellow flames on the side at the time, that didn't help)

dans79

Jolle wrote: But I do enjoy the cultural clash between Europe and the Americans once in a while.
I deal with it on a daily basis, and it can be a giant pain in the you know what.
197 104 103 7

Jolle

Maybe the best way to explain the way an economy works vs how many feel it works is comparing it to an engine.

Many feel (and are being told) that an economy and spending money is like fuel. You burn/spend it, and it's gone. Basically how your paycheck evaporates every month. It can also only be used ones.

A economy works much more like a dry sump lubrication system. Flow and the amount of nuzzles/pickup points are key, not the amount of oil. the same oil is used over and over again because it's a closed system. If it stops flowing, the engine will freeze up and gets damaged. If you need to lubricate a new part of the engine, you don't need more oil, you need a extra nozzle and the oil comes back trough the pickup point.

At this moment, in Britain, the oil is slowing down and nozzles are being closed off. The Bank of England is busy poring more and more oil into the system and reducing interest rates hoping it's going to flow again. The system is sustaining damage. Forgain investors are holding off their investments, so less fresh oil to top off the system.

PlatinumZealot

Saw a Scottish whiskey Maker on BBC worrying about the expected fall in sales and protection of his product after Brexit. Now even "Chinese Scotch whiskeys" can be sold in the EU no problem and he can do nothing about it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote:Saw a Scottish whiskey Maker on BBC worrying about the expected fall in sales and protection of his product after Brexit. Now even "Chinese Scotch whiskeys" can be sold in the EU no problem and he can do nothing about it.
If he is worrying about "Chinese Scotch whiskeys" then his own product must not be very good.
197 104 103 7

bhall II

dans79 wrote:If I was British I would have voted to leave. For years now I have heard and read how EU law where slowly strangling small businesses to death.
Regardless of one's opinions about EU regulations, the part of Brexit that makes the least sense to me is the prevalence of the false notion that it will somehow relieve British companies of the need to comply with them. Doing business with the EU, which I imagine is still quite necessary for most British firms, means playing by EU rules, whether you're in member country or not. In that sense, Brexit does little more than strip Britain of the power to influence those rules.

henry

bhall II wrote:
dans79 wrote:If I was British I would have voted to leave. For years now I have heard and read how EU law where slowly strangling small businesses to death.
Regardless of one's opinions about EU regulations, the part of Brexit that makes the least sense to me is the prevalence of the false notion that it will somehow relieve British companies of the need to comply with them. Doing business with the EU, which I imagine is still quite necessary for most British firms, means playing by EU rules, whether you're in member country or not. In that sense, Brexit does little more than strip Britain of the power to influence those rules.
Interestingly the ability to make our own laws was the deciding issue for 53% of those that voted leave. ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-e ... m-36648769 ). What laws they would want to enact or repeal never came up in any of the coverage I saw.

If we leave the EU and choose not to trade with them, British companies will still need to comply with the the regulations because they are part of British law. Parliament will need to go through them and consider which to keep, reject or amend. This would take several years of flat out work to achieve. Meanwhile the UK has 57 trade deals with other countries that we will need to renegotiate because we will no longer be able to take advantage of them.

The decision to leave makes little sense because it was, in large part, made with the heart not the head.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

alexx_88

I am an EU citizen with a company in the UK and travel there often enough. The devaluation of the pound has affected me directly, first by increasing my business costs and secondly by diminishing my income in euros.

Went to the UK recently, to a part of the country that had a high percentage of 'leave' votes. The sad news is that pretty much all 'leavers' had no idea about the economic implications of their decision, but rallied behind the idea that they are somehow taking back control of their country's decisions. They were easily swayed by the sneaky Farage and the other members of the leave campaign, by associating the country and its economy to a home and how you lock the door and control what and who comes through there. As with all simplifications, the devil lies in the details. Nobody told those people that their houses in Spain or Greece will be more expensive to buy, same as their vacations, same as the day-to-day products they use.

In my home country the wages for low-level jobs are significantly lower than in the UK. I really can't understand how a company that will manufacture the same thing in the UK, paying natives ten times more money, can remain competitive in the face of competition manufacturing abroad. Protectionist measures, stretching as far as having closed economies, don't work at all. As it was shown by the failures of all communist regimes (my country is one of those examples) and the low standard of living in countries such as N Korea or Venezuela.

FoxHound

bhall II wrote:

Yup, spot on there.

I'm not overly optimistic of a good resolution either. By the looks of it, the EU want's brexit to happen quickly, and I would hazard a guess as to that being opportunism. A big player withdrawing from the single market would leave big opportunities for others within the single market.

Worse still, the implications on GDP are a loss of 6.3% or £4.5k per household.
http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/brexit02.pdf
There are big EU funded projects that are going to be withdrawn, and Bank of England's Carney has made £150Bn available to business as an emergency resort to increase confidence.

The message here is, spend our way out of this by getting even more into debt. Aka idiocracy.

The very same people that voted Brexit, are the ones who are going to feel this potential shitestorm worst.
The grey vote, with false promises of 350 million a week to the NHS, will find huge cuts instead of investment.
The unemployed vote, will find that companies start to relocate to the mainland, eviscerating the labour market.
The Handout vote, will find that benefits will be cut to basic breadline standard, lowering their standard of living.

If this goes down half as bad as I think it will, I give it 1 term of office before a BRIT-IN vote.
And by that stage, Europe will have gained a massive advantage over Britain by securing agreements with companies disillusioned with compromised trading inside the UK. Banks, car companies, Haulage, you name it.
JET set