Will Brexit have an impact on F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: Will Brexit have an impact on F1?

https://www.skybet.com/politics/europea ... ff_id=8036

yeah!

6/4; go for it guys, no one will ever dare to trigger it.
Last edited by FrukostScones on 06 Jul 2016, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Jolle

dans79 wrote:
FoxHound wrote: The middle east is humanities responsibility I agree, but why is Europe more responsible than closer, culturally identical Saud, Oman, Kuwait et al?
How is it humanities responsibility?
It's a shared responsibility. It's strange to think that because you're born in the right country at the right moment you're entitled at more then someone else.

Of course the Arab countries could and should do more, some have and sometimes in a different way then we would do. Saudi Arabia for instance, took 500k refugees in at the first wave, but aren't labeled as such, they made them citizens right away.

And also, again with money vs economy, yes those countries have a lot of money but not a great economy. To go back to my fuel vs oil reference. The oil tank is full but it's hardly flowing. Strangely enough, we should almost have a "how to make money into a economy" aid program for those countries. Wealth alone isn't enough.

dans79

Jolle wrote: It's a shared responsibility. It's strange to think that because you're born in the right country at the right moment you're entitled at more then someone else.
This I completely disagree with, as it has nothing to do with entitlement. Imo if you have a problem, it's up to you to get yourself out of it, not look to someone else to solve it for you.
197 104 103 7

bhall II

dans79 wrote:
Jolle wrote: It's a shared responsibility. It's strange to think that because you're born in the right country at the right moment you're entitled at more then someone else.
This I completely disagree with, as it has nothing to do with entitlement. Imo if you have a problem, it's up to you to get yourself out of it, not look to someone else to solve it for you.
Given all the meddling by the West in that region of the world, it's not so simple.

dans79

bhall II wrote: Given all the meddling by the West in that region of the world, it's not so simple.
The violence in that part of the world has been going on since before our country even existed.
197 104 103 7

bhall II

That greatly oversimplifies matters.

turbof1

dans79 wrote:
bhall II wrote: Given all the meddling by the West in that region of the world, it's not so simple.
The violence in that part of the world has been going on since before our country even existed.
That would be the same as saying "humanity is a history of war". Technically true, but grossly flattened.

...Wait, what was the discussion again?
#AeroFrodo

Andres125sx

FoxHound wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Sorry FoxHound, but can´t get your point.

My reply was related to the Brexit debate, as those aiming for "leave" used the immigrants and refugees economical cost as an argument. Last time I checked UK is capitalist, and I think that´s the motivation for that argument, capitalism tend to oversimplify things to numbers. Obviously there are many countries with much bigger problems, but we´re not talking about those, but about UK and Brexit

From your own post, you appear to be apportioning the actions of capitalism as an example of inhumanity toward the ongoing refugee crisis. Money is worth the expense. And I agree.
To a finer point, Money don't cut it when Mr Smith is unhappy with the amount of non-english speaking residents in his town. You have to accept it's his town, his country, his vote.
But, the machinations of what is going on transcend capitalism. We have rich Muslim countries within a few hundred miles of refugee hotspot sources, with nothing but a trickle-feed heading toward them.
That pisses me off as much as Mr Smith. I've seen the videos of spoilt Saudi princes burning up LA in LaFerrari's, and to an extent, Mr Smith is aware of the excess we see from these countries, and all too aware of the money he pays towards that excess.

The middle east is humanities responsibility I agree, but why is Europe more responsible than closer, culturally identical Saud, Oman, Kuwait et al?
I never said we´re more responsible, but I´ve never liked comparing myself with any other. I do prefer doing things as I think they must be done, independently of what´s doing the rest.

To me comparing yourself with other´s actions is just an exercise of justifying what you know is not correct. Like the fraudster who justifies himself thinking most people do or would do the same in his position.

CBeck113

FoxHound wrote:
Lets not point the finger too much at Capitlism, Andres.

Where in all this are the super cash rich nations of Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi etc? My geography aint brilliant, but Germany is way further than Saudi Arabia, and you don't need to cross a treacherous Med to get there.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... b_Map3.png

I have to agree with you here Fox: the issue here is the simple fact that these countries are not democracies and have a very poor record on human rights, because they simply do not believe in them. Capitalism is the reason that the refugee crisis started, but not why the Middle East countries aren't helping. Families have priviledges, not individuals. That is why they are coming to Germany, a country with probably the best social democracy in the world (at least top three). They then push to go to GB because of the language barrier - most have some English knowledge, but no German / French / Norwegen etc. So Britian is at fault for the influx of refugees due to their territorialistic way of the 1700 and 1800's. At one point the greed of the past, which was actually used as motivation for Brexit, is actually part of the reason for the current issues...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

CBeck113

dans79 wrote:
That is not an option for the situation they're in: the US, with EU support, and Russia are bombing the f*ck out of the country to gain control of the government: what can the entire population of Syria do? Their options are stay and die or run and hope. None of the parties involved have any interest in the well being of the people, and none of this can be solved by the citizens of Syria.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

FrukostScones

CBeck113 wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
Lets not point the finger too much at Capitlism, Andres.

Where in all this are the super cash rich nations of Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi etc? My geography aint brilliant, but Germany is way further than Saudi Arabia, and you don't need to cross a treacherous Med to get there.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... b_Map3.png

I have to agree with you here Fox: the issue here is the simple fact that these countries are not democracies and have a very poor record on human rights, because they simply do not believe in them. Capitalism is the reason that the refugee crisis started, but not why the Middle East countries aren't helping. Families have priviledges, not individuals. That is why they are coming to Germany, a country with probably the best social democracy in the world (at least top three). They then push to go to GB because of the language barrier - most have some English knowledge, but no German / French / Norwegen etc. So Britian is at fault for the influx of refugees due to their territorialistic way of the 1700 and 1800's. At one point the greed of the past, which was actually used as motivation for Brexit, is actually part of the reason for the current issues...
a syrian refugee told me there was a legit and legitimate uprising against a brutal dictator clan.

buy anyway, from Brexit to migarnt crisis, reasons for migrant movements etc. to capitalism or lets discuss religion... arrgh this maybe a bit too much for f1tech, as dans79 showed world politics should not be discussed here to deeply IMO.
In the end there would be no justification for something like F1. The Horror the horror.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

bhall II

F1Fanatic, July 8, 2016 wrote:Claire Williams says her team is already feeling the consequence of Britain’s vote two weeks ago to leave the European Union in rising costs.

However she admitted it’s still “slightly too early to see what the long-term impacts are for us as a business”.

“There have been some short-term impacts around costs,” Williams explained during today’s FIA press conference.

Since the referendum the value of the pound has fallen to a 31-year low against the dollar and its value relative to the euro has also plunged.

“We unfortunately pay for our engine in euros,” she said. “All the hard work that we have done to bring the cost down by €4m for 2018 have been counterbalanced. Maybe Toto [Wolff] will let us pay for our engines in euros going forward, I don’t know – a conversation offline.”

The uncertain economic situation has also put potential sponsorship deals in doubt. “Sponsorship is one of our key incomes,” said Williams.

“I think with the political instability that Brexit has caused there are a lot of businesses out there that are going to have to wait and see what they do particularly with their marketing spend and that of course could have implications for us as an independent team.”

“As much as we were having great conversations prior to the referendum, those conversations are slowing down now and people are waiting to see what’s going to happen. That’s a real concern for us and I think a concern for a lot of sports teams out there. But again, I’m not going to worry too much. I think we’ll wait and see what happens.”

The process of Britain’s departure from the European Union will begin once Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is invoked by Britain’s parliament. This could also affect the employment rights of non-UK staff.

“For us there are concerns on the medium term once Article 50 is invoked and the implications of that around freedom of people to move in employment,” said Williams. “I think we have to wait and see the true implications of that.”

Facts Only

Blaming the faultering sponsorship talks on the exit vote.... hmmm I suspect the flagging performance of the team may be the real issue. They aren't the regukar podium front running squad of 2014/5 and those regular podium appearances mean alot to potential sponsors.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Jolle

Facts Only wrote:Blaming the faultering sponsorship talks on the exit vote.... hmmm I suspect the flagging performance of the team may be the real issue. They aren't the regukar podium front running squad of 2014/5 and those regular podium appearances mean alot to potential sponsors.
After the company steered trough difficult times during the last recession, where they still aren't completely recovered from, I fully understand her. This will hurt teams like Force India, Sauber and Williams, apart from what the pound does.

The FOM should react quickly before we have big exits like in 08/07.

Ennis

Facts Only wrote:Blaming the faultering sponsorship talks on the exit vote.... hmmm I suspect the flagging performance of the team may be the real issue. They aren't the regukar podium front running squad of 2014/5 and those regular podium appearances mean alot to potential sponsors.
There can be more than one impact. Performance will impact sponshorship, of course, that doesn't mean that Brexit won't also impact in a potentially massive way.