Bernie Ecclestones Mother-In-Law kidnapped

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Facts Only

Bernie Ecclestones Mother-In-Law kidnapped

Spotted this on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-36891829

Despite what people think of Bernie I don't think anyone would wish this on someone. They've obviously chose their target and set their ransom accordingly. Its further damage to the reputation of Brasil that the country really doesn't need.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Jolle

Re: Bernie Ecclestones Mother-In-Law kidnapped

It is horrible and it taking a lot of effort not to point out how stupid it is to kidnap someones mother in law.

BanMeToo

Wow he's 20 years older than his mother in law lol. Sorry to be an ass but christ.

rjsa

Facts Only wrote:Spotted this on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-36891829

Despite what people think of Bernie I don't think anyone would wish this on someone. They've obviously chose their target and set their ransom accordingly. Its further damage to the reputation of Brasil that the country really doesn't need.
We drive armored cars around here. For real, I have two with inch thick windows. This is life as usual, unfortunately.

OneAlex

BanMeToo wrote:Wow he's 20 years older than his mother in law lol. Sorry to be an ass but christ.
:mrgreen:

Thoughts on Bernie (or the idea of him giving up money) aside though, it must be a pretty horrible time for the family, particularly Mrs Schunck herself. Bernie is a powerful man though and Brazil won't need the negative press coverage of a bad outcome so hopefully she will be returned unharmed.

What the story does do though is highlight how much of a rising problem this is for Brazil. One way or another Bernie can resolve his mother-in-law's kidnapping, but one can assume there are many families out there who cannot do so quite so easily.

It does strike me as an odd kidnapping though. On one hand you'd think Schunck's home had a fairly decent security system (unless they were very lax), on the other... the fact they want the money "in four plastic bags" and without very well-planned-out instructions for how it ought to be handed over makes the whole operation seem rather amateurish.

rjsa

The notion that while we drive armored cars we are the least concerned with an "image problem" resulting from a kidnap of someone somewhat related to a high profile foreigner is laughable.

SectorOne

They should have kidnapped Bernie instead. Then when they ask for ransom everybody just starts laughing hysterically and tell them "NO...YOU KEEP"

But knowing Bernie he might meet these guys and make them a deal where they will return his mother-in-law and actually pay him for it.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

adrianjordan

SectorOne wrote:They should have kidnapped Bernie instead. Then when they ask for ransom everybody just starts laughing hysterically and tell them "NO...YOU KEEP"

But knowing Bernie he might meet these guys and make them a deal where they will return his mother-in-law and actually pay him for it.
If anyone can do that, Bernie can!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

OneAlex wrote:It does strike me as an odd kidnapping though. On one hand you'd think Schunck's home had a fairly decent security system (unless they were very lax), on the other... the fact they want the money "in four plastic bags" and without very well-planned-out instructions for how it ought to be handed over makes the whole operation seem rather amateurish.
Without very well planned out instructions....amateurish....are we sure the FIA isn't involved??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️