Charlie Whiting

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
can
can

Charlie Whiting

Cheers Guys,

maybe its not the best source on the internet. But i really, really like the Idea sooooo much, maybe anybody has got a more
reliable source for that news.

The german automobile website autobild.de claims, that Charlie Whiting wants to leave his seat in FIA
to join a team. They also report, that he wanted to do the same in the mid nineties, but there was huge pressure by the Teams
especially by Ron Dennis.

[-o< Please let it be true, please [-o<

I almost hate nobody, charlie whiting you are an exception!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here is the link to the german article.
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1 ... 34725.html

Manoah2u

Re: Charlie Whiting

I dont hate the guy, but F1 could really do with replacing him. He done good/well in the past, and really no remarks on that, but in the past 5 years or so, it's been going downwards fast.
nobody is irreplaceable, so let's get that over with then. i dont see autobild as a very credible source though.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle

Isn't his job more or less to kick some tires in parc ferme and press the "go" button to start the race? (And follow bernies command)

F1NAC

Jolle wrote:Isn't his job more or less to kick some tires in parc ferme and press the "go" button to start the race? (And follow bernies command)
He also inspects every circuit before the race or if the circuit needs licence. Is not that easy job

lio007

And he knows a lot of technical details from all teams!

strad

His job is no walk in the park.
He is the Race Director, The Safety Delegate, the Permanent Starter and head of the F1 Technical Department, in which capacities he generally manages the logistics of each F1 Grand Prix, inspects cars in parc fermé before a race, and enforces FIA rules.
Now that's a full plate, BUT that part in bold... Do YOU want to be caught in the middle of all the B.S. squabbling that these over grown children do? I sure as hell wouldn't.
Hell that would be worse than trying to moderate the childish stuff on this board.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

can
can

Come on guys... He is responsible for those ridicolous long safety car starts (e.g Monaco or Silverstone), when we have a a rain shower before the planned race starts. Also the guy has to wait untill a racetrack is almost dry before Race is restarted (the restart Tire is always the Intermediate). :(
And he is a Halo-Lover... :wtf:
I don't want to mention the whole track limits mess. :roll:

As a Racefan, i would love to see him leave. In my eyes he is one of the old men in FIA, that make F1 soooooo lame nowadays. #-o

That's not childish, thats very sad.

The best case would be, that Ferrari would hire him, so he could not mess any more races.
And his knowledge could help the red ones to resurrect =D>

strad

I don't think it's him but rather the safety cry babies that have taken over.
And BTW they should stay on the friggin racetrack so don't hold that against him.
Your ageism is showing.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Tommy Cookers

it's easy to criticise, that's why I do it, .. but ....
I hate CW for ......

about 20 years ago
heavily penalising Schumacher for passing Hill on the 'warm-up' lap at Silverstone (so making me ashamed to be British)
S was doing nothing unusual and broke no rule except one that existed only in the CW imagination
conveniently, the competition became closer by CW's rule invention

about 10 years ago
summarily banning mass dampers ie Renault (so making me ashamed to be British)
R were doing nothing unusual (eg millions of 2Cvs etc) and broke no rule except one that existed only in the CW imagination

at least when British cars were unfairly banned eg Le Mans Lotus and 1964? Monte Carlo Mini-Cooper .....
the banners simply contrived no bogus justification, simply citing 'breach of the spirit of the regulations' etc
btw Mini-Cooper won the Mont Ventoux stage because their recce crew secretly blew the powder snow off many bends and put Makinen on race tyres

CW, please accept my retraction of the above with apologies if I am mistaken in this attribution
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 02 Sep 2016, 12:53, edited 2 times in total.

Vasconia

I dont know if replacing him will be for better or worse. He has done a great job but how he manages the races when it rains has irritated me deeply. This is my main critic.

Jolle

With his Brabham history, isn't he more or less the one who has follows Bernies lead? (And so Bernie can criticise his own decisions basically).

Safety car starts for instance. I can imagine that FOM wants all cars on track and asks CW to wait until the spray is cleared.

And even, he doesn't do it all by himself. There is a whole team of safety people who kick tires as well. If he quits FOM just puts another puppet there.

TzeiTzei

Tommy Cookers wrote:
about 20 years ago
heavily penalising Schumacher for passing Hill on the 'warm-up' lap at Silverstone (so making me ashamed to be British)
S was doing nothing unusual and broke no rule except one that existed only in the CW imagination
I don't think that CW was the race director back then. Roland the name monster was.

can
can

To be clear effectively i dont care about his age, he could be 120, if his decisions would be more logical
or just transparent... I think people like him are too effected by possible or past fatalities, even if the possibility
is very small. Bianchis dead was an exception under stupid random circumstances. The same for Sennas
tragic death.

About track limits, his management of this topic was a ridiculous back and forth.
Also in my eyes he had huge impact on getting so much tarmac instead of gras or gravel,
even more than Tilke.

Here in Germany we have a word called "Betriebsblind" it means you are so long in job or company that dont
have any kind of objective overview anymore... In order you make strange or harmful decisions.

Guys like him have a huge part, why many fans are sick of F1, because they take away all the excitement.
I am watching f1 since 1995, but every time he destroys a wet race a lot of my love and fanship
is dying.

Maybe the next guy will be the same, but its a chance for change, i would love to find out.

P.S. He is not the only problem of F1, but one that could be solved relatively easy

Cold Fussion

Charlie Whiting's flip-flopping skillset would be more suited to a career in politics.

Gaz.

Tommy Cookers wrote:it's easy to criticise, that's why I do it, .. but ....
I hate CW for ......

about 20 years ago

about 10 years ago
summarily banning mass dampers ie Renault (so making me ashamed to be British)
R were doing nothing unusual (eg millions of 2Cvs etc) and broke no rule except one that existed only in the CW imagination

at least when British cars were unfairly banned eg Le Mans Lotus and 1964? Monte Carlo Mini-Cooper .....
the banners simply contrived no bogus justification, simply citing 'breach of the spirit of the regulations' etc
btw Mini-Cooper won the Mont Ventoux stage because their recce crew secretly blew the powder snow off many bends and put Makinen on race tyres

CW, please accept my retraction of the above with apologies if I am mistaken in this attribution

In 1994 Roland Bruynseraede, a Belgian, was the race director, Charlie didn't get the gig until 1997.
Forza Jules