Livery thread again!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bauc

Re: Livery thread again!

santos wrote:
Eddie_Temple wrote:Why are Mclaren fans so desperate for an orange livery? The funny thing is if it were to happen, within 2 years they'd be crying for something new.

I want to see Mclaren in something I've never seen before - they deserve a fresh start.
This...
It is a question that i already made. Some can say it's a historical color of the team, but how many cars were orange? Since i remember my self watching F1, Mclaren was white and red, silver chrome, grey...
I'm 35, Mclaren have 50 or 51, i've never seen a Mclaren with orange, so how historical is that?
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/feat ... ivery.html

Long regarded as McLaren’s ‘traditional’ colour, Bruce’s team actually raced in both white and then red before switching to orange in 1968 - their third season of F1 competition. The change heralded success, with McLaren winning three races that season and sticking with the bold colour scheme (which was inspired by rivals’ liveries in Can-Am) until the end of 1971. McLaren have tested in orange since - in 1997 and 2006
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Eddie_Temple
Eddie_Temple

bauc wrote:
santos wrote:
Eddie_Temple wrote:Why are Mclaren fans so desperate for an orange livery? The funny thing is if it were to happen, within 2 years they'd be crying for something new.

I want to see Mclaren in something I've never seen before - they deserve a fresh start.
This...
It is a question that i already made. Some can say it's a historical color of the team, but how many cars were orange? Since i remember my self watching F1, Mclaren was white and red, silver chrome, grey...
I'm 35, Mclaren have 50 or 51, i've never seen a Mclaren with orange, so how historical is that?
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/feat ... ivery.html

Long regarded as McLaren’s ‘traditional’ colour, Bruce’s team actually raced in both white and then red before switching to orange in 1968 - their third season of F1 competition. The change heralded success, with McLaren winning three races that season and sticking with the bold colour scheme (which was inspired by rivals’ liveries in Can-Am) until the end of 1971. McLaren have tested in orange since - in 1997 and 2006

Yes Yes, we hear this every year, nothing new.

BTW, Mclaren fans are stretching the world of "traditional" "heritage" "historical" well beyond the scope of those words definitions.

To illustrate my point, please see: Ferrari/Mercedes/Red Bull/Torro Rosso. These are teams, however short of lifespan, that can claim they run "traditional, heritage, historical" colors.

McLaren's inability to define itself visually, constant yearly changes into more boring and boring colors, and devotion to the almighty sponsor taking over the entire car - gives them or their fans nothing to stand on when claiming historical. You want to say its historical, run it every year, regardless of sponsor. Then talk.

That said, I don't have a problem with them painting their car however a sponsor prefers - my only issue lies with the desperate clinging to orange and/or marlboro livery. Let's step into the future, the past is dead (and as we just learned, mclaren has no heritage color).
Welcome to the layer cake, son.

Predator

Why are some on here so troubled about people posting livery concepts? It's just fans showing their design skills. If they want/choose orange, then let them fantasise. No harm in it, is there? They're clearly passionate fans wanting to showcase their skills. I see nothing wrong with it and at least it gives us something to discuss before the official launches and testing. Does it really affect your lives (in all seriousness) in a meaningful way? There are other things in life that are more important than what an F1 team chooses as their main colour(s). :mrgreen:

santos
santos

Predator wrote:Why are some on here so troubled about people posting livery concepts? It's just fans showing their design skills. If they want/choose orange, then let them fantasise. No harm in it, is there? They're clearly passionate fans wanting to showcase their skills. I see nothing wrong with it and at least it gives us something to discuss before the official launches and testing. Does it really affect your lives (in all seriousness) in a meaningful way? There are other things in life that are more important than what an F1 team chooses as their main colour(s). :mrgreen:
I didn't read anything about people telling that is wrong to choose Orange. And if it is Orange that the Mclaren will be, then fine. If it's not, it's also fine. At least for me.
But to claim that is a historical color.... it doesn't seem to be. How many people in this forum saw an Orange Mclaren racing?

FW17

Red Bull with the new ExxonMobil Branding, not Spectacular, Don't expect to change much

f1316
f1316

I've never understood the yellow/gold nose on the Red Bull/Toro Rosso; I don't see how it necessarily has anything to do with their brand and equally doesn't look very nice (imo).

From a brand perspective, you would think all Red Bull sponsored things (planes, space jumps, whatever) would look more like this:

...But if they just stopped having the little yellow beak, i think it would be an improvement

stefan_
stefan_

f1316 wrote:I've never understood the yellow/gold nose on the Red Bull/Toro Rosso; I don't see how it necessarily has anything to do with their brand and equally doesn't look very nice (imo).
Because it resembles this thing wraped around the tip of the car

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Starscreamer

f1316 wrote:I've never understood the yellow/gold nose on the Red Bull/Toro Rosso; I don't see how it necessarily has anything to do with their brand and equally doesn't look very nice (imo).

From a brand perspective, you would think all Red Bull sponsored things (planes, space jumps, whatever) would look more like this:

https://moodyeyeview.files.wordpress.co ... ll_car.jpg

...But if they just stopped having the little yellow beak, i think it would be an improvement
You mean like this:

RedBull Racing test livery 2005

#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

f1316
f1316

stefan_ wrote: Because it resembles this thing wraped around the tip of the car

http://logok.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... l-logo.png

Yeah, makes sense - in that I see the justification. Still don't think it looks nice though :)
Starscreamer wrote:

https://moodyeyeview.files.wordpress.co ... ll_car.jpg

You mean like this:

RedBull Racing test livery 2005
http://p2.trrsf.com/image/fget/cf/fit-i ... ogetty.jpg

http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Dav ... 923383.jpg
Yes, exactly (or do I mean that they should put a big can on the car? ;) ). Perfect illustration, thanks.

Again, not saying I'd pick it from a pure asthetic point of view, but I would understand the marketing logic of "oh, the product that looks like that is associated with speed and energy" more than a more abstract representation of the brand.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

FW17 wrote:Red Bull with the new ExxonMobil Branding, not Spectacular, Don't expect to change much

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... it-RGB.jpg
i like that! the prominent total red always was a thorn in my eyes, likewise when Lotus had to endure the same.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Eddie_Temple
Eddie_Temple

Red Bull is doing just fine in the livery department unlike Mclaren for instance. Red Bull actually know who they are and own it - no looking back, no desperation for the "new"... Just appropriate brand display.

Red Bull company has a very strong art department, don't expect many failures from them when it comes to brand communication.

Also some of the best looking F1 cars these past few years.

cmF1

Eddie_Temple wrote:Red Bull is doing just fine in the livery department unlike Mclaren for instance. Red Bull actually know who they are and own it - no looking back, no desperation for the "new"... Just appropriate brand display.

Red Bull company has a very strong art department, don't expect many failures from them when it comes to brand communication.

Also some of the best looking F1 cars these past few years.
Don't forget, Red Bull is a brand that happens to own a Formula One team. McLaren have 'traditional' colours, but need to alter liverys accordingly when sponsors leave/change.

IMHO, apart from the introduction of the matte look last year, Red Bulls identity/liverys over the last few years have been a total mess. Whoever signed off purple side pods needs to be shot.
プラスとマイナス

adrianjordan

No light blue Toro Rosso mockups yet? I'm shocked!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Eddie_Temple
Eddie_Temple

adrianjordan wrote:No light blue Toro Rosso mockups yet? I'm shocked!!

just give sean bull another day, he's got nothing better to do....

GM7

Why Williams don't paint his nose like this ???