F1 sold to Liberty Media. Bernie Out?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle

Re: F1 sold to Liberty Media. Bernie Out?

FrukostScones wrote:
Jolle wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:Bernie and Briatore to start GP1. as he is pushed out by new owners.
yes... giving the "fans" what they want! modified GP2 V8's, resurrection of names like Lotus, Brabham and March with drivers like Massa, McNish and Piquet Jr.

They could name it the "Retro Racing Road Show"

Maybe even a nice job for Max Mosley?
I think a lot of fans would fancy that. me not included.
It would be funny if with the sale to the Americans the Leaving Europeans would start an American style (sport) show (insert any type of American sports league as an example here)

BeardedAce

Lets see what their plans are for f1...Hopefully teams will get fair money distribution.

nevill3

It looks like the end for Bernie will be next week, Liberty have intimated that a radical shake up of the sport is needed and Bernie will be one of the first casualties.

http://news.sky.com/story/chequered-fla ... e-10736334
The new owners of F1 motor racing will bring the chequered flag down within days on Bernie Ecclestone's long-running control of the sport.

Sky News has learnt that Liberty Media Group‎ is preparing a compromise with F1's constructors by altering some of the details of a scheme to sell them a stake in its parent company.

The revamp comes as the media company draws up plans to announce alongside the closing of its F1 takeover that Mr Ecclestone will step down as its chief executive.

An announcement could be made as soon as the first half of next week.......

Full Story
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Andres125sx

ecapox

Mixed thoughts on Bernie getting the boot. He built F1 to what it it now. And say what you will, he did what he thought was right.

Hopefully the new owners will do the same, in their own manner....

Just_a_fan

ecapox wrote:Mixed thoughts on Bernie getting the boot. He built F1 to what it it now. And say what you will, he did what he thought was right.

Hopefully the new owners will do the same, in their own manner....
Bernie did what he thought was right...for Bernie.

Deals were done on the basis of how much money changed hands in his favour, not on the basis of what was good for F1.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nevill3

I agree Bernie saved F1 when it needed it but I think the convoluted deals he keeps negotiating with the teams is now harming F1 a little.
To me he is now hindering the future development of F1. He has always done his best and has reaped huge rewards for both himself and his employers in the past. We now need a rethink or refresh that enables the F1 venues to make a profit from a weekend without bankrupting themselves by paying over the odds for the privilege of hosting our beloved sport. I am sure a more commercial structure, that shifts some of the financial risk to Liberty and other shareholders but could also reap them increased revenue for a successful event, could be found.

Well done Bernie thanks for the good times but it is now time to move on.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

zeph

Wow, that's huge.

Thanks, Bernie. You will be missed.

I do hope Liberty Media will be a better custodian than you haven been these last ten years, though.

bauc

Yes, other media confirms the same.
It was time for the old man to step away - will that be good or bad for the sport remains to be seen.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

iotar__

- Small change but at last evil American capitalists :-) did something right. How did he keep his job for so long? Embarrassing failure after failure.

- Now time to fix money distribution and budgets.
- FIA is a hopeless case I'm afraid unless they all can be caught with their pants down.

sauberfan

Best F1 news for years. Lets hope a lot of things are changing now!

Shrieker

I'll remember him best for holding Istanbul Park hostage under lease for YEARS, and not letting any of the locals even hold a track day.

Essentially a big "fvck you".

And i think he should've just let the seat go gracefully when it was time, rather than getting elbowed out in an ugly manner. I suppose he was too greedy to even think of that.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Manoah2u

well, we're definately on the eve of a gigantic change in F1.

say about the man what you want, he is a legend, he shaped F1 into what it is, he is extremely smart, and has a very sleek kind of 'sarcasm'.
there are some things about his decisions that arent extremely likeable, but one can't but respect the old geezer.

Wonder whether people are going to eat crow soon when it turns out that the direction F1 will head now Bernie is gone is far worse.
then again, it might become something much bigger and much more 'toucheable'. who knows.

nobody lives for ever anyway, so it was going to happen one way or another.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

TAG

What happens next, do they euthanize him?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत