Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

Silverstone 11.10.2017

Hungaroring 17-18.10.2017

Wonder If they are using the FW 36 or the FW 37, I guess both are eligible for tests.

This was Stroll's setup at Suzuka

[media]https://twitter.com/toranyan416/status/ ... 9750070273[/media]
[media]https://twitter.com/toranyan416/status/ ... 0238029824[/media]

Pic from an older test (Car is stripped of all sponsors)

LookBackTime

Insurance issue thwarts comeback for Kubica!
Phillip van Osten
10/10/2017 at 07:31

As Toro Rosso mulls who could eventually replace Pierre Gasly at the US GP next week, one potential driver who has been excluded is Robert Kubica.

Red Bull will differ to Honda on the decision to have Gasly either race in Austin or in Japan, where he is in the running for the Super Formula title.

In the event that the 21-year-old F1 rookie, who replaced Dany Kvyat in Sepang and at Suzuka, isn't chosen to race alongside the Russian in Austin, Red Bull must find a one-off replacement.

Gasly not guaranteed Austin start with Toro Rosso
Kubica, who is fighting for a sensational comeback to Grand Prix racing after a seven-year absence due to an injury sustained in a rally crash in 2011, was apparently under consideration, along with Sebastien Buemi.

According to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport however, the Pole's management team - which includes reigning world champion Nico Rosberg - is excluding a one-off return because it would imply the reimbursement of a huge lifetime insurance payout Kubica received for being permanently unable to race in F1.

While a full-time return would likely be financially viable, Rosberg insists that Toro Rosso's one-race opportunity would be too great a risk for Kubica.

"If you are thrown into deep water in a strange car without a test, you can only lose," said the German.

"It is better to keep going for the Williams opportunity."

Kubica is set to test for Williams in a 2014-spec car in the coming weeks along with Paul di Resta as the two men, along with Felipe Massa, are under consideration for the coveted F1 seat for 2018.

LookBackTime

One week ago!

Nico and Polish Minister of Sport and Turism :)

FW17

Who said F1 cars dont sound good......

Shrieker

Sooo.. What happened ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Sonador

I dont think Daddy Stroll is too fond of Kubica joining Williams? He is happy with either Di Resta or Massa??

Greg_OR

Sonador wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 22:54
I don't think Daddy Stroll is too fond of Kubica joining Williams? He is happy with either Di Resta or Massa??
Why? As far as I know Stroll senior wants a mentor for his son, a man who will guide him in some way. When Petrov was Robert's team partner he said that it's hard to get some knowledge directly from Robert but just listening to him during debriefings with engineers was great and now I see Kubica is more opened to people so Lance will have a great opportunity to learn a lot. And RK is strong character - as a father of three - I would love to see my kids meet that kind of mentors on their way.

Sonador

Greg_OR wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 00:05
Sonador wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 22:54
I don't think Daddy Stroll is too fond of Kubica joining Williams? He is happy with either Di Resta or Massa??
Why? As far as I know Stroll senior wants a mentor for his son, a man who will guide him in some way. When Petrov was Robert's team partner he said that it's hard to get some knowledge directly from Robert but just listening to him during debriefings with engineers was great and now I see Kubica is more opened to people so Lance will have a great opportunity to learn a lot. And RK is strong character - as a father of three - I would love to see my kids meet that kind of mentors on their way.
Because they are "afraid" Kubica will be faster and better than Stroll.
They are trying to build (or buy?) a team around Lance Stroll, and Daddy Stroll sees a worldchampion in his son.
They dont need a mentor, they need a solid number 2.

Also Daddy Stroll denied Kubica to test after his son in a private test: https://www.pitpass.com/60194/Kubica-denied-Suzuka-test

So i think we will see a Massa or a Di Resta in next years Williams.
BUT i am hoping for Kubica [-o<

Greg_OR

Sonador wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 00:19
Because they are "afraid" Kubica will be faster and better than Stroll.
They are trying to build (or buy?) a team around Lance Stroll, and Daddy Stroll sees a worldchampion in his son.
They dont need a mentor, they need a solid number 2.
I don't think Stroll senior to be that naive - Lance is a talented youngster but has a lot to learn, and a lot to prove to became WDC contender.
Also Daddy Stroll denied Kubica to test after his son in a private test: https://www.pitpass.com/60194/Kubica-denied-Suzuka-test
These are stupid rumours as it was almost impossible because of logistics and, as we see, Williams just tested Robert without any help.
Last edited by Greg_OR on 19 Oct 2017, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

WaikeCU

You can't have two number two's in a team. If two number one's don't work well, how can two number two's work better? If Stroll wants a mentor, then Kubica would be even better. I believe he's the second most intelligent driver on the grid after Fernando, if Robert gets the seat. His view on life and racing has been different after his accident. I think he knows how and when to take risks.

Fulcrum

I don't know if Mr Stroll is, or should be, overly concerned by Kubica.

If Kubica is hired, and proves to be as fast as before, i.e. he is demonstrably faster than Stroll, he won't be in a Williams seat in 2019. There were too many interested parties before his accident and, while none are willing to take the risk now, and most don't have seats available for next year anyway, if Kubica proves himself in F1 again, someone else will come along - Ferrari, Renault, Mercedes even.

Point being, Kubica proving successful would resolve itself, and Stroll could continue to build the team around his son.

On the other hand, if he's patently not faster than Stroll, or only competitive, it will reflect well on Stroll's abilities, and Kubica would likely be retained, providing valuable mentoring as the experienced teammate.

In addition, hiring Kubica would raise the public profile of Williams (imo), something Di Resta cannot do. He's a good news story, he's popular with fans, I'd imagine with sponsors as well. Stroll would benefit from the raised awareness, heightened expectation and anticipation for their pairing.

FrukostScones

My crystal balls says: We will be betrayed!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

LookBackTime

From User @Polemik
19 October, 2017 11:11

"
another (for once positive) article about Kubica´s Renault test on Hungaroring - engineer Ricardo Penteado (maybe Brazilian?) from Renault has revealed something about Kubica´s performance and abilities to Brazil's Globo TV station:

1. his physical condition is certainly good (drove 142 laps in one day !)
2. was able to make any changes on the steering wheel without difficulty while driwing !!
3. he never drove with little fuel load in the tank (so, he was not slow !)
4. he reportedly gave the team a great feedback (said sports-director Alan Permane)

Spicy about the whole thing is that Penteado provided these informations just for Brazil's Globo TV station.

original article in german:
[m.speedweek.com]
http://m.speedweek.com/formel1/news/114 ... t-aus.html
"

digitalrurouni

LookBackTime wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 12:56
From User @Polemik
19 October, 2017 11:11

"
another (for once positive) article about Kubica´s Renault test on Hungaroring - engineer Ricardo Penteado (maybe Brazilian?) from Renault has revealed something about Kubica´s performance and abilities to Brazil's Globo TV station:

1. his physical condition is certainly good (drove 142 laps in one day !)
2. was able to make any changes on the steering wheel without difficulty while driwing !!
3. he never drove with little fuel load in the tank (so, he was not slow !)
4. he reportedly gave the team a great feedback (said sports-director Alan Permane)

Spicy about the whole thing is that Penteado provided these informations just for Brazil's Globo TV station.

original article in german:
[m.speedweek.com]
http://m.speedweek.com/formel1/news/114 ... t-aus.html
"

I am hoping that bodes well for Kubica's return! Williams could use a bigger profile name and really could let go of Massa if they want to elevate themselves. Heck this would be a great thing for even Mercedes as well to get behind Kubica since they are powering Williams car after all! I just see win wins and no lose for Williams hiring Kubica!

Manoah2u

Unfortunately, there could very well be no loses and only wins for Williams, but at the same time, there could be loses for Kubica @ Williams in regards to it essentially being Stroll Martini Williams F1 racing for Lance Stroll. So whether Williams is the right environment for Kubica?

Outside of Renault, who though understandably yet unfortuantely have bailed, i can only see Haas F1 as a good base. Perhaps Haas would be even better then any of them.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"