Apple in talks to buy McLaren

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
OneAlex

Apple in talks to buy McLaren

I think this is potentially pertinent to all of F1, not just the McLaren team...
Apple has approached McLaren Technology Group, the British supercar engineer and Formula One team owner, about a potential acquisition, in the clearest sign yet that the iPhone maker is seeking to transform the automotive industry.
The California technology group, which has been working on a self-driving electric vehicle for more than two years, is considering a full takeover of McLaren or a strategic investment
Source: https://www.ft.com/content/523422ba-7ff ... c15fb462f4

McLaren would represent an interesting choice for Apple, and while it states it's not a done deal, thinking about it, McLaren would be a better acquisition/cultural fit for Apple than other companies; the only real downside would be that it's British and not American, but then Brits have been responsible for a lot of Apple's design successes.

It would be interesting how it might affect F1 also, particularly given Apple were considered to be one of the rivals to Liberty in F1's take-over.

rich1701
rich1701

Re: Apple in talks to buy McLaren

McLaren have a very effiecient car production facility, which is probably the main motivation for Apple's interest and both companies fit well together in terms of ethos. I would be surprised at a full scale buy out however, and would expect more of a partnership arrangement. If an acquisition does take place then i don't think it would affect the F1 team, it will remain independent of Mclaren's commercial arm. Apple would have no interest in taking over the F1 team.

bauc

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/176 ... n-takeover

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ron & the board ... please dont sell, if Apple buys MCL they will take all of the good technology for their ''automotive'' program and leave the sport, I know Mclaren racing is separate entity from Mclaren TCG but I'm sure that they will ruin all.

I'm sure you will say this is a kneejerk reaction and it sounds stupid....maybe yes but I have a bad feeling about this :shock:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

OneAlex wrote:I think this is potentially pertinent to all of F1, not just the McLaren team...
Apple has approached McLaren Technology Group, the British supercar engineer and Formula One team owner, about a potential acquisition, in the clearest sign yet that the iPhone maker is seeking to transform the automotive industry.
The California technology group, which has been working on a self-driving electric vehicle for more than two years, is considering a full takeover of McLaren or a strategic investment
Source: https://www.ft.com/content/523422ba-7ff ... c15fb462f4

McLaren would represent an interesting choice for Apple, and while it states it's not a done deal, thinking about it, McLaren would be a better acquisition/cultural fit for Apple than other companies; the only real downside would be that it's British and not American, but then Brits have been responsible for a lot of Apple's design successes.

It would be interesting how it might affect F1 also, particularly given Apple were considered to be one of the rivals to Liberty in F1's take-over.
In what way do you see Apple and Mclaren as having similar companies cultures? My perception of Mclaren is their company culture is similar to that of CDC research lab and not all similar to the stories you hear from Jobs era Apple.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

So much for that then.
A McLaren spokesman wrote:McLaren not in discussion with Apple in respect of any potential investment.
http://news.trust.org/item/20160921165332-jg9l4

wesley123
wesley123

A partnership is way more likely.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Jolle
Jolle

I won't see a right out takeover happening but I can imagine a big investment and a shared project for a Mercedes E class kind of car. Both companies are equally anal about anything :P I can see them working together.

DiogoBrand

If Apple does buy McLaren, does that mean they'll keep making the same cars McLaren is making right now, but will sell them for double the price just because it's an "iCar"?

Seriously though. If anything happens, I can't see it being anything more than a partnership.

Redragon

It has been deny by Mclaren via Twitter

strad

I certainly hope it's not true. Apple is big into self driving cars..F1 racers next?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Joe Saward wrote:...do not expect Apple to buy McLaren any time soon – if ever.
Source.

FrukostScones

Would be the saddest thing in F1 history.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ScottB
ScottB

I'm not buying this, the media is prone to an 'Apple Buying Company X' story now and then, because of Apple'a enormous cash pile.

If Apple were interested, I imagine it would be in Mclaren Applied Technologies rather than the car division. Though rumours of an Apple Car are fading, if it did happen it wouldn't have been a Mclaren esque supercar, and there's nothing else Mclaren Automotive do that Apple couldn't also do, without the hassle of acquisition.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

ScottB wrote:I'm not buying this, the media is prone to an 'Apple Buying Company X' story now and then, because of Apple'a enormous cash pile.

If Apple were interested, I imagine it would be in Mclaren Applied Technologies rather than the car division. Though rumours of an Apple Car are fading, if it did happen it wouldn't have been a Mclaren esque supercar, and there's nothing else Mclaren Automotive do that Apple couldn't also do, without the hassle of acquisition.
I agree that it would be far more likely for Apple to buy MAT. Historically when you look at their acquisitions they tend to be suppliers where they want to control their business to better integrate/improve upon their products. Given that no Apple car exists yet it's hard to believe they are anyway dependent on MAT. It seems a little strange to me that the Financial Times would be publishing this story if there was no smoke at all.

TAG

If nothing else an apple logo on the F1 car would look a hell of a lot more dignified than Sensodyne Toothpaste.

We close our eyes and recall those overalls of years past with Tag, and Boss patches on them. Another year or two of mid pack competition and they'll be a mysterious fire at Woking to claim the insurance money.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत