Flavio

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pierce89

Flavio

Does anyone besides me remember when FlavioBriattore claimed Crashgate was just a political attack from the Piquet family because Flavio knew of Piquet Jr. spending time with a male "lover"? Am I dreaming this?

Edit: As a side note Piquet Jr was later penalized by NASCAR for a gay slur.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

efuloni
efuloni

Re: Flavio

I don't remember.

What I would like to find to read again is the open letter Nelsinho wrote about the case, saying a lot of inside stuff and making believe that his results were a lot better than looked like, since his car was always worse than Fernando's.

About Piquet Jr., he is actually quite a good driver, I think. His title in Formula E kinda showed that.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Though that comment of flavio was rather out of line and out of place, i think its rather a delibarete 'statement' to provoke and annoy over actually being something factual.
Also, i dont know and frankly dont care and its none of our business if its true. If he likes the boys, well, up to him. Who really cares? In 'today's world, one might wonder how
much 'gay' people are in motorsport. Usually the world in general is 'masculine' paired with the attraction of sexy females, but in the end, it really doesnt say anything.

I do remember that claim though, yes, you are not wrong there. didnt know about that nascar slur but i can't say i followed the guy.

I rather feel like Piquet Jr. did have some potential and i was interested to see how far he would have come, but unfortunately crashgate halted that. Im not delving into whether
he 'deserves' or should be in f1 after actually doing that move in the Singapore gp, but i can't really remember whether he had something to concider.

His younger brother is heading into formula racing, aiming at F1 probably. curious what he might do, though i think one shouldnt expect too much from former race drivers' kids.
Given, Verstappen is talented like his father (seemingly even bigger talent), The Hills seemed to fair very well, Villeneuve, Rosberg. But that doesnt equal 'sons' are by def. a good
chance.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Vasconia

Piquet was pretty mediocre during his F1 years so I was surprised when he won in F-E. So perhaps I am wrong and he has some quality.

And about Flabio and his comments, who cares if he is gay? but well, Flabio is an Italian "macho" so perhaps he has problems with this.

Anyway F1 is stil very men dominated so I guess that saying openly that one is gay coud be a little bit problematic, sadly.

Facts Only
Facts Only

From 1st hand experience I think while motorsport is rather male dominated its deinitely not macho or intolerant. Certainly unlike other sports everyone doesnt jump in the showers together after a race and then go out to do what footballers seem to be regularly in the press for doing.

What I've seen is that what matters is that you work hard, get on with people be part of the team. Years ago, when working trackside there were a couple of gay and transgender people and nobody gave a hoot. There was even a guy who everybody assumed was gay and then we were all shocked when we got an invite to his wedding, what was funny was that he didnt know that people thought he was gay because people didnt really care or have any reason to mention it.

There was an interviw with Max Mosley a few years ago where they asked him about his parentage and ealry background and how it affected his direction in life, he basically said that he went into motorsport because people didnt care about your parents/sexuality/background it was just all about racing.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Facts Only
Facts Only

I vagueley remember the Flavio comment but the guy talks such a lot of unintelligale nonsense its hard to remember anything he syas at all.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

A little research into Flavio's factual history [careerwise] and especially 'legal issues' shows that businesswise he's very talented to make something work, by forcing and pushing things in the direction he wants it to , with all means and all influences around it. Something rather brilliant and schumacher-esque [ i wouldn't be surprised if Schumi learned that from his Benneton years and used it to his full advantage ], but in the case of flavio, it seems he's been actively doing these things in a let's say it 'very morally and ethically questionable' manner.
Paired to that, he's been known to rather throw things in the air and around [figuratively speaking] which hold no water and are absolute nonsense and perhaps a bit profane at times. It seems that too is nothing but a well-concidered tactic. Who else to get away with all that happened in Crashgate rather 'unscathed'. He's got his ban lifted for crying out loud, despite not going to the paddock anymore in a active F1 role.
I think he might have even managed to get away with 'it' if he was involved at Mclaren in the spygate affair.

Matter of speaking, I think Flavio would have made chances rather higher that Mclaren would have actually 'made it' and never 'went down' as they did in the recent past, though i dont think his character goes well with the Mclaren business 'protocols' (sterile grey Ron Dennis regime). He would, imho, be a absolute perfect fit for Ferrari. Speaking as such - i could actually see a Flavio Briatore - Maurizio Arrivabene combination work. Marchionne on top, Flavio Briatore and Maurizio Arrivabene running the actual F1 team. Flavio is absolutely relentless, but one can't deny he makes things happen and work. He demands success.

I am 99% sure if he was at Ferrari, Alonso would have had a WDC car AND Ferrari and him would have atleast made 1 championship together. I can see him doing that with Vettel at Ferrari, or possibly with Hamilton there.

All eyes on Ferrari and F1 if we'd see a Flavio Briatore - Maurizio Arrivabene Scuderia Ferrari team with Lewis Hamilton and either Sebastian Vettel or a absolutely clear nr2. lap dog [Grosjean would be a valuable pick, probably better would be Hulkenberg as i could imagine Grosjean not wanting to work with his former 'employer' Flavio]. Flavio might even get Adrian Newey aboard with a big paycheck and a very worthwile work schedule and means of transportation. Not even to forget giving him full freedom to work on a LaFerrari successor that is going to beat every other thing out there, and perfectionize the special 'Scuderia' editions of their sportscars.

Which somehow brings he to the idea of 'dreamteam'......
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

iotar__

Pierce89 wrote:Does anyone besides me remember when FlavioBriattore claimed Crashgate was just a political attack from the Piquet family because Flavio knew of Piquet Jr. spending time with a male "lover"? Am I dreaming this?

Edit: As a side note Piquet Jr was later penalized by NASCAR for a gay slur.
There was something like that but:
- It was the opposite on both accounts, it was Briatore's personal attack on Piquet jr ->after<- crashgate and Piquet's saying that he (FB) was ignorant about engineering side of F1
- Piquet's motivation (allegedly and so on) was far simpler - getting fired from F1
- it was far less direct than the way you put it

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

btw, while on the subject.....

Alguersuari was the gay driver mentioned in F1 a while ago. I wonder whether that's a reason Helmut didn't want him anymore in the RB team.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCTS38Akqlx/

warning; link contains jaime kissing another man and coming out publicly.

obviously the warning is for the faint hearted who can't handle a tile being a bit different then the others lol.

Facts Only
Facts Only

I didnt know Alguersuari was was gay, and honestly I dont believe that it would be anything to do with him being let go. The Red Bull brand is all about the young people having fun and what-not. If there was even a whiff of them sacking someone for being gay they would be slaughtered by the press, the internet and their competitors.

I think it was jut a case of "right place, wrong time' there was no seat free at RBR and he had been treading water at STR for too long, they cant just keep people there indefinitely like some sort of F1 waiting room. If he had something special another team would have picked him up anyway.

Pierce89

Had no idea Alguesauri was gay. If I had a few beers in me, I might've made a joke connecting homosexuality to DJing but....no. I was always a fan of JA and was disappointed in his recent retirement. Im glad that he finally seems happy for the 1st time since leaving f1.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Funny enough, i only ran into the fact he's liking men because i was looking for the briatore comment on piquet jr. lol and a headline appeared about how sutil wasn't the gay one [ though alguersuari being 'it' doesnt mean sutil would be out the picture, but anyway, who cares ].

anyway, Flavio suggested he had an affair with a 50 year old dude with whom he supposedly 'lived together' but the facts are that the 50 year old was a person known to him through his driver 'development' programme whom had real estate available in england and simply offered it to be used by nelsinho. That doesnt neccesarily mean nelly didn't ever 'squirrel around looking for a', but again.....who gives a darn. Well, perhaps parents of honest teen f1 driver fans would not quite like the sudden suspicion on why their son possibly has a poster of a f1 driver that turns out to be gay and start being afraid it's ' contagious' lol.

Whats cooking with flava flav nowadays btw? i have no clue on what happened to him after crashgate. i believe he was at the monaco gp grid showing his face but i can't remember anything apart from that. Is he still involved in anything motorsport and driver management?