TV Coverage - Do the cars appear faster in Japan?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
agip

Re: TV Coverage - Do the cars appear faster in Japan?

I had the same feeling.

strad

It's camera position and the lenses.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mborsik

So, we're back at Japan again, and I was just watching HAMs pole lap from the outside, normal view. I have totally the same perception as in last year, but now I think I've figured it out: basically, as opposed to many newer tracks, we've much more cameras here in japan (maybe monaco is similar), and almost all of them are stationary, and, most importantly, they use zooming in and out very very conservatively.

This in effect contributes to the perception of speed: just compare this to those recordings of planes landing (eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF9n7ShkOJ0) where they use huge optical zooms. The same is done to a lesser extent on many tracks, where we've a frontal view of cars on a 1000+ meters straight, then a very zoomed in and -out perspective as they take the corner.

Also, I haven't counted it, but there are a lot of cuts from one camera to another, like every 2-3 seconds. This is also a huge factor. 3:4 vs 16:9, the sound, the field of view of are also a contributing factor, but I definitively think that it's mainly the zooming which destroys the speed perception on many tracks.

Edit: look at from around 3:18 to 3:40, you'll see what I'm talking about. Also, It's not that they don't zoom in and out, but they know when to use it (eg. they zoom in at the apex, then out on corner exit) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSihuXuD4As

PlatinumZealot

RicME85 wrote: ↑
08 Oct 2016, 18:49
Really? That camera view has looked faster at every circuit this year.
Remember the iconic video of Senna blasting around Monaco from just over his shoulder, the camera is bouncing around and the scenery is flying by...IMO the use of a similar camera position has had the same effect this year.
That's not why. That over the shoulda camera angle actually sucks on these modern cars. It only looked good back then because of the wider field of view of those lenses.

The over the shoulder cam came back recently and they had to kill it because people just didn't like it. Good riddance.

Edit: The over the shoulder cam is still alive and well! Was on Hamitons on board pole lap.. Meh.. What can I say...
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 07 Oct 2017, 17:26, edited 2 times in total.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

PlatinumZealot

proteus wrote: ↑
09 Oct 2016, 10:01
Removal of onboard cameras will be the next nail in the coffin of the F1...
For sense of speed I hate onboards. Feels too videogamey and the sense of speed is zero. While good for driving analysis I prefer the outside shots. the early 2000's had the best combo of camera angles imo. Coupled with the V10 wail i could watch all day...

Hammer44

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
07 Oct 2017, 17:18
Remember the iconic video of Senna blasting around Monaco from just over his shoulder, the camera is bouncing around and the scenery is flying by...IMO the use of a similar camera position has had the same effect this year.
That's not why. That over the shoulda camera angle actually sucks on these modern cars. It only looked good back then because of the wider field of view of those lenses.

The over the shoulder cam came back recently and they had to kill it because people just didn't like it. Good riddance.
You are wrong. FOM are showing much more the shoulder cam instead of the T-cam especially on the top teams.

adrianjordan

Maybe next year we get a halo cam in the front part of the halo....
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

mcjamweasel

Visor/helmet cam is what we need - along with microphones better placed to capture the real noise of these engines.

PlatinumZealot

Hammer44 wrote: ↑
07 Oct 2017, 17:29
PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
07 Oct 2017, 17:18

You are wrong. FOM are showing much more the shoulder cam instead of the T-cam especially on the top teams.
Yeah. I edited my post.

Nonserviam85

I also had this feeling for the Japanese Grand Prix (and possible some others). I might be wrong but I always believed that this happened due to different motion filtering techniques employed by the Japanese TV (more motion blur to allow for speed feeling)