F1 - Brawn signs deal to replace Ecclestone

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LookBackTime
LookBackTime

F1 - Brawn signs deal to replace Ecclestone

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Braw ... 10827.html

F1 - Brawn signs deal to replace Ecclestone - report
"For sure, trying to help F1 become a better F1 would be appealing"

1 November 2016 - 07h36, by GMM
Ross Brawn has already signed a contract to become F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone’s successor.

That is the claim this week of Auto Bild Motorsport, in the wake of reports confirming that the former Ferrari and Mercedes chief is interested in returning to the sport.

"For sure, trying to help F1 become a better F1 would be appealing," the 61-year-old told the Telegraph last week.

The Briton, who left F1 late in 2013 after falling out with Mercedes’ Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda, is likely to be a popular pick after the American group Liberty Media bought the sport’s commercial rights.

"If I need to vote for the return of Ross, then I am ready to do that," Wolff said last weekend in Mexico.

Germany’s Auto Bild now claims not only that a contract between Brawn and Liberty has been signed, but that the governing FIA approves of the deal.

Indeed, Brawn and FIA president Jean Todt know each other well, having successfully presided over the ultra-successful Michael Schumacher era at Ferrari last decade.

Auto Bild said: "When the deal will be made official, and what role Bernie Ecclestone will play in the future, is not yet known."

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Re: F1 - Brawn signs deal to replace Ecclestone

So this is just a rumour for now?

bauc

If this is true, this is the best news F1 can have after a long time. I think we all agree that Bernie's time has passed and we need ''fresh'' blood to rebuild and rebalance F1.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

iotar__

- Single person means less when all the elements of the system are firmly in place, starting with big teams, FIA and commercial part. There'll be less of random nonsense of typical Ecclestone's managerial failures:
*qualifying reform - scrapped, - double points - scrapped, - radio bad - scrapped, - KERS ban - backfired etc.
but don't expect big changes. Those who get help will still get it. Expect Brawn and Todt act similarly.

- Behind friendly teddy-bear appearance is one of the most ruthless and power hungry people of F1 heavily involved in one of the dirties periods. I don't like how he separates himself from it now (well, he always did). "Jean you tell it Rubens" as if it wasn't his idea in the first place. Now Brawn and Todt (plus big teams) are running F1 :twisted: .

- For all the marketing biased circus Wolff and Lauda provide I'm glad he is not running Merc, ask Barrichello from Barcelona '09 why :wtf: . Lesser evil is still evil.

Andres125sx

Bernie is out, finally!!!! =D> =D> =D>

FW17

Bernie was a deal maker, Don't see Brawn as one. But you never know....

He did keep Honda from finding a suitable buyer so that Management Buyout would be seen as a best......................

But then again not sure how the Italian GP would have been sorted out under Brawn.

zac510
zac510

His book quotes him as being only interested in an engineering-based, non-political involvement in F1: http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/id/13093 (I have to reference news sites because the book is not public yet). So this role would be the opposite of that. It sounds like a bad case of Chinese whispers. Perhaps he's signed for a job, but not as high as replaciing Bernie.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Let's wait out and see what happens.
Interesting combination,
Jean Todt - FIA President , formerly at Scuderia Ferrari in the Schumacher days ; Politics were a definate part to have FIA and Bernie 'on their side'.
Ross Brawn - F1 Supremo, formerly at Scuderia Ferrari in the Schumacher days ; Politics were a definate part to have FIA and Bernie 'on their side'.

I can smell the theories from lightyears away on future Ferrari WDC's and WCC's.

Apart from that, i think it would be a well-working combination.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

James Allen is reporting that Brawn will take on a role as sporting boss, also managing regulations. Ecclestone is primarily involved in the commercial side, so Brawn will not be a replacement there.

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/11/ ... cclestone/

GitanesBlondes

This is going to be a worthless move if Brawn has no real power.

Being the sporting boss is good, however if the teams are allowed to have the same veto power and overall too much say in the technical regulations, it's going to remain the usual farce everything has always been. That Ferrari has the veto they have is an absolute joke. I have no problem with getting input from teams regarding technical regulations and changes to them, but what the teams say can never be taken at face value due to their [understandably] selfish nature.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

GitanesBlondes wrote:This is going to be a worthless move if Brawn has no real power.

Being the sporting boss is good, however if the teams are allowed to have the same veto power and overall too much say in the technical regulations, it's going to remain the usual farce everything has always been. That Ferrari has the veto they have is an absolute joke. I have no problem with getting input from teams regarding technical regulations and changes to them, but what the teams say can never be taken at face value due to their [understandably] selfish nature.
Whoever takes over the commercial side of F1 will have to untangle all of Bernie's wheeling and dealing with the teams and other partners. Liberty Media will have to untangle all of that, if they want F1 to continue making money, as if they do decide to sell F1 at a later date they'll want a decent price for it, a mess of deals could soften the price. It could all come crashing down the moment Bernie is forced out of F1. So appointing Brawn as the Sporting boss of F1 could be a shrewd move by Liberty Media. If anyone can sort out the Sporting side of F1 it would be Ross Brawn. Though I wouldn't expect major changes over night. A long drawn out war of attrition is more likely, Brawn can play the teams against each other to achieve his desired goals or have a good shot of doing so. As for Ferrari and it's veto ? It's not really gotten them anywhere in recent years in terms of winning races and titles. All Ferrari seem to do is shoot themselves in the foot with some of the decisions they've made in regards to regulations they like and do not like.

F1 needs a commercial boss that understands how the modern media world works and what appeals to younger generations, no new fans = F1 dying a slow death. Everything is on hold until Liberty Media sack Bernie, Bernie retires or dies in the job.

FW17

During his time in a team he was known to make sure his favored driver finished ahead in all circumstances

Now with FOM he will be involved in getting his favored team ahead

ME4ME

FW17 wrote:During his time in a team he was known to make sure his favored driver finished ahead in all circumstances

Now with FOM he will be involved in getting his favored team ahead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyHUygPQ38E
Was a baseless statement. He has been with several teams. Taken distance from F1 and been on the sidelines for years now. Even Toto Wolff said he'd be perfectly fine with Brawn in a powerful position.

FW17

What baseless?

Benetton- Teammates of MS mysteriously slow
Ferrari - No 1 for MS
Brawn GP - No 1 for JB
Merc - No 1 for LH

Where else did he work?

Toto Wolff will say one thing in the media, few years later we will find exactly what he said to the people that matter.

Hope Ferrari uses there Veto on this dangerous move.

mrluke
mrluke

I understand you don't like Brawn but citing teams picking a number 1 driver, as is prevalent across the sport, as an example of Brawn being corrupt is a bit of a stretch.