Cutting T1/2 on Lap 1.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Cutting T1/2 on Lap 1.

Since a huge amount has been said by drivers/team personal and the media about Lewis cutting T2 in Mexico, I was just wondering how often this kind of thing has happened in the past.

1 that springs to mind is Nico in Russia 2014. He did it while overtaking his team mate and gained a huge advantage by doing so. Although he screwed his tyres up and had to pit, I don't ever recall him being investigated for it.

How many others can you guys remember.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

Re: Cutting T1/2 on Lap 1.

A lot. So much that there are official statements from the fia to the stewards for many many years now that cutting corners, getting off track, small bumping into each other, gaining places off track, etc etc are not considered punishable offences in the first few corners. Too much chaos, cold tires, cold brakes and cooking engines and drivers.

TAG

Vettel turn one in Belgium hit Kimi who then hit Verstappen... not even investigated. As it's been said many time before, there's just too much chaos in the first couple corners and rarely are reprimands given unless it's egregious avoidable contact.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

adrianjordan

Besides which in Mexico Nico was having his own tussle for 2nd, so who's to even say he'd have overtaken Lewis anyway!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

NathanOlder

Very good points. Im just confused that im hearing Ricciardo and now Hulkenberg talking about how they dont get why Hamilton wasn't even investigated !
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Sevach

The same Hamilton profitted immensely by going outside the track in Sochi and didn't have to return anything to anybody because of the Vettel-Kvyat crash.

A different example that comes to mind, isn't of cutting but corner extending was Kimi Spa 2009, big profit and 100% intentional ( i guess this one was closed since nobody tries that anymore).

NathanOlder

Yeah, if I recall about 6 cars also did what Hamilton did that day in Sochi, and they all passed throuh the gate that was set up by the FIA so they couldn't gain too much.

I think that's a good example to prove that the first lap is excused a lot more than any other lap. cold tyres, brakes, heavy car ect so it can happen to the very best. I just wondered why so many people were up in arms about the Mexican race
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Formula Wrong

I believe there are two main reasons why this incident is being so widely discussed:
1. It involves Lewis Hamilton (and thus, somehow, the championship). If, let's say, Massa had done the same thing in P9, I'm sure barely anyone would care.
2. Verstappen did recieve a penalty for the same thing while defending P3 later in the race.
NathanOlder wrote:Yeah, if I recall about 6 cars also did what Hamilton did that day in Sochi, and they all passed throuh the gate that was set up by the FIA so they couldn't gain too much.

I think that's a good example to prove that the first lap is excused a lot more than any other lap. cold tyres, brakes, heavy car ect so it can happen to the very best. I just wondered why so many people were up in arms about the Mexican race
though in Sochi, Hamilton and the others tried to escape the chaos around them:
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

zac510

On a different angle, the fact that there are 20 (or 21 now) races smoothens out the impact of these in-race events. A driver might be disadvantaged for a single race, or even get an advantage but it won't make a world championship over 21 races. In the same way there are 7 games in MLB/NHL/NBA etc playoffs, it's unlikely that one team that gets a lucky goal or referee call for one or two games will win the overall series. That's why we don't really need to worry and argue about these kind of minor events on a single corner amongst 21 races.