Nico Rosberg to retire from F1 (!)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: Nico Rosberg to retire from F1 (!)

djos wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
basti313 wrote: Well...I asked my English colleague, why he supports Ham and his answer was "because he is British". :D
My father, who is also English, dislikes Hamilton intensely.
I'm an Aussie and I think he's a knob too, but I still admire his driving skills and talent.
I'm English and do not like Hamilton's attempts to be "gangsta" (or whatever it's called). But I do rate him as a driver from the very top drawer. That's why I support him.

I used to support Mansell too but disliked his constant Brummie moaning.

Mansell and Hamilton are both racers rather than just fast drivers. It's their racing that draws, not their personality.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SunsAnvil

I disliked Hamilton because the media banged on and on about him and I don't like being told who to like.
I then disliked him because of his behavior and personality outside of the track (seems smug and up his own...).
But I love seeing him race and I certainly wanted to see him beat Nico.
Most importantly, I would love to see Alonso and Hamilton fight it out and see what McLaren would do when Alonso leaves them.

Jon

Facts Only

Just_a_fan wrote:
I used to support Mansell too but disliked his constant Brummie moaning.

Mansell and Hamilton are both racers rather than just fast drivers. It's their racing that draws, not their personality.
WHAT! The constant Brummie moaning was what made "our Nige" he was like he old bloke in the pub moaning about the government/immigrants/weather/wasps etc etc. Everybody knew someone like him and that was why the public got behind him.

Hamilton pisses and moans just as much as Mansell, they both want to win.

I honestly believe that Mansell is one of the most ineresting racing drivers of all time, his career is full of leaps of faiths, first times and terrible luck.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

turbof1

I have to scratch my head here how we ended up with Mansell in a Nico Rosberg retirement topic. Maybe we can involve Andre Agassi and Diego Maradona as well?
#AeroFrodo

Manoah2u

Lol, 'ol Nige' is a legend.

I wanted to say, it's the mustache, but then i rememberd Nico has none.

i do think he should bing out the 'stache though!

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

krisfx

NathanOlder wrote:Lewis is disliked so much in England because us English hate a winner. Like the masses of people that hate Phil Taylor or Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Just the way it is.

By the look of it, Lewis will be disliked even more next year if he has some support from a team mate.
English people don't hate a winner. They just hate English people.

Mansell89

Seems like an easy BBC and Sky story to say that Merc are considering Alonso.

When you read the article, they are considering everybody.

If Alonso goes there would be all sorts of agreements with McLaren to overcome. Bottas looks the easy option whilst Hulkenberg is the German choice, but may cost a bomb to release him from Renault.

NathanOlder

krisfx wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:Lewis is disliked so much in England because us English hate a winner. Like the masses of people that hate Phil Taylor or Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Just the way it is.

By the look of it, Lewis will be disliked even more next year if he has some support from a team mate.
English people don't hate a winner. They just hate English people.
Nah, everyone loves a good old underdog here. Always been like that. Whenever we get someone successful, the media get the ball rolling and give the public as many reasons to dislike that person as possible.

Still, with many disliking Lewis, I bet he has more people supporting him than any other driver on the grid.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Facts Only

turbof1 wrote:I have to scratch my head here how we ended up with Mansell in a Nico Rosberg retirement topic.
Nico should move to Indycar and be the only person to try emulate Our Nige' by being reighning F1 and Indy champs at the same time. Its a much shorter season out thereso he could still spend more time with the family.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

dans79

krisfx wrote: English people don't hate a winner. They just hate English people.
I was going to go with they hate anyone who is better off than them, Seriously the most irate hatred towards wealthy people always seems to come out of the UK.
197 104 103 7

zeph

dans79 wrote:
krisfx wrote: English people don't hate a winner. They just hate English people.
I was going to go with they hate anyone who is better off than them, Seriously the most irate hatred towards wealthy people always seems to come out of the UK.
I get where you're coming from, but I'd like to offer a little perspective.

First of all, the Dutch take no backseat to the English when it comes to success envy, but more importantly, Europe has a long history of serfdom, feudalism and class warfare. The middle class is really something that only became widespread in the 20th century, and the collective memory of past misdeeds by the rich against the poor is still strong, even if nobody today has personally experienced that.

For white people, the USA was a remarkably level playing field up until a few decades ago, and people developed the notion that your success was determined by your willpower and work ethic. So those who made it were not viewed as the oppressor, but rather one of us who made good.

dans79

zeph wrote: For white people, the USA was a remarkably level playing field up until a few decades ago, and people developed the notion that your success was determined by your willpower and work ethic. So those who made it were not viewed as the oppressor, but rather one of us who made good.
It's still pretty level, what's changed is that technology has made intelligence a lot more important than work ethic.
197 104 103 7

NL_Fer

Would Rosberg return as a reserve and testdriver for Mercedes? I mean, he must sell some new streetcars as a new world champion?

Jolle

NL_Fer wrote:Would Rosberg return as a reserve and testdriver for Mercedes? I mean, he must sell some new streetcars as a new world champion?
Shots of retired on a sunny beach with a SL in the background.
Or.. commercials with Nico trying out the retired life in Florida, before stepping into his CLS63, with a final shot "maybe later", leaving with some smoking tires.

Lots and lots of opportunities.

Andres125sx

zeph wrote: The middle class is really something that only became widespread in the 20th century, and the collective memory of past misdeeds by the rich against the poor is still strong, even if nobody today has personally experienced that.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You must be kidding, don´t you?