Nico Rosberg to retire from F1 (!)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
AMG.Tzan

Re: Nico Rosberg to retire from F1 (!)

Can't understand M. Brundle's crazy reaction to Rosberg's title success and his "brave" retirement! How while winning for the first time your life long rival and then retiring because "can't get into another title fight with Lewis" make Rosberg brave?? He just achieved his goal of beating Hamilton to the WDC and then thought...ok why lose again to him and then have everyone say i lost my edge after winning the title or i just got lucky in 2016? Let's go home and enjoy life! After all he is not the only father in Formula 1, so having a kid is not an excuse!
And again can't understand the British media talking with so much praise for Rosberg and going on to admit that Hamilton made mistakes this year and blowing 3 engines in the same car with your teammate is part of the sport (and even going on to compare Hamilton's engine failures to Jim Clark's...man we are talking 2016 not 1960's...the cars are almost unbreakable especially Mercedes)! I mean british media went crazy with Button all this years making him look like a hell of a driver although he never was! Maybe the don't like Hamilton so much (because he's black :P just kidding :P )...but i am not British so someone may have an answer for me ;)
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Restomaniac

AMG.Tzan wrote:Can't understand M. Brundle's crazy reaction to Rosberg's title success and his "brave" retirement! How while winning for the first time your life long rival and then retiring because "can't get into another title fight with Lewis" make Rosberg brave?? He just achieved his goal of beating Hamilton to the WDC and then thought...ok why lose again to him and then have everyone say i lost my edge after winning the title or i just got lucky in 2016? Let's go home and enjoy life! After all he is not the only father in Formula 1, so having a kid is not an excuse!
And again can't understand the British media talking with so much praise for Rosberg and going on to admit that Hamilton made mistakes this year and blowing 3 engines in the same car with your teammate is part of the sport (and even going on to compare Hamilton's engine failures to Jim Clark's...man we are talking 2016 not 1960's...the cars are almost unbreakable especially Mercedes)! I mean british media went crazy with Button all this years making him look like a hell of a driver although he never was! Maybe the don't like Hamilton so much (because he's black :P just kidding :P )...but i am not British so someone may have an answer for me ;)
Herbert is worse.
Honestly as times last season he seemed to lay into Hamilton every chance he got.

This is why I always chuckle when I read about British media bias TOWARDS Hamilton. It's the opposite and they find as many reasons to slag him off at times.

taperoo2k

Restomaniac wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:Can't understand M. Brundle's crazy reaction to Rosberg's title success and his "brave" retirement! How while winning for the first time your life long rival and then retiring because "can't get into another title fight with Lewis" make Rosberg brave?? He just achieved his goal of beating Hamilton to the WDC and then thought...ok why lose again to him and then have everyone say i lost my edge after winning the title or i just got lucky in 2016? Let's go home and enjoy life! After all he is not the only father in Formula 1, so having a kid is not an excuse!
Herbert is worse.
Honestly as times last season he seemed to lay into Hamilton every chance he got.

This is why I always chuckle when I read about British media bias TOWARDS Hamilton. It's the opposite and they find as many reasons to slag him off at times.
They like to build people up, so they can knock them down, then change their tune when that person has success. Lewis is just one in a long line of sports stars to get that treatment. It amused me that they laid into Rosberg quite a bit over the last couple of seasons but barely reported Rosberg saving a child's life.

Pierce89

TAG wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:What a load of crap. I'm a college student and in my experience in the FSAE paddock, Hamilton was the butt of many jokes involving dark shades fake " hip hop" accent.
Water seeks its own level.
I'd be willing to bet that the FSAE paddock sits at a higher level than your current hangouts.
As an aside, why does Hamilton copy American "gangstas", when that just reinforces negative stereotypes all over the world.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

dans79

Pierce89 wrote: I'd be willing to bet that the FSAE paddock sits at a higher level than your current hangouts.
As an aside, why does Hamilton copy American "gangstas", when that just reinforces negative stereotypes all over the world.
I think your concept of "gangstas" is either pretty skewed or pretty bias, i can't decide. Pretty much everyone I know would call him a hipster.
197 104 103 7

Pierce89

dans79 wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: I'd be willing to bet that the FSAE paddock sits at a higher level than your current hangouts.
I think your concept of "gangstas" is either pretty skewed or pretty bias, i can't decide. Pretty much everyone I know would call him a hipster.
Have you heard the lyrics from the dudes he hangs out with? I mean some of their content is pretty "gangsta".
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Jolle

I understand Rosbergs decision. There are two distinctive quotes from Hamilton and Rosberg: Rosberg: we've been racing each other since we've been teenagers and he (Hamilton) always had the edge over me in the championship. Hamilton: I'm the worst team mate you can have.

Next year would have been absolute hell for Rosberg, Hamilton would have made sure he would be faster, more aggressive every time they would be on (and off) track. Staying at Mercedes would be difficult. Irvine had kind of the same problem when he had his shot at the title because Schumacher broke his leg. He choose a different team and a big pay check. Rosberg did get the title and doesn't need the money anymore (if there would be anybody to pay him like Jaguar did with Irvine).

Shakeman

Pierce89 wrote: Have you heard the lyrics from the dudes he hangs out with? I mean some of their content is pretty "gangsta".
Do you ever watch a Hollywood film and get convinced that there's aliens that look like cars can transform themselves into giant robots?

Do you have a problem discerning fact from fiction at all?

Stradivarius

Andres125sx wrote:This said, to me Rosberg is not a great, he´s a very good driver (as most F1 drivers) but to me most drivers in the grid would have managed to win this title. It was Lewis mechanical failures togheter with some mistakes on his own wich made Rosberg dreams reality. Ok he was good enough to take the opportunity and beat a three times world champion, that´s true, but as stated, to me most drivers in F1 grid are good enough for that. He drove the best car by far so when his teammate had those problems he didn´t need to prove anything, only to be consistent and keep the gifted advantage.
Like many others I think you overestimate the difference between Hamilton and Rosberg. If you look at their 4 seasons as team mates, the differences are quite small. In 2013 Hamilton scored 189 points while Rosberg scored 171 points. 18 points difference is not much, considering that Rosberg suffered 3 retirements, to Hamilton's 1. In 2014 Rosberg was 18 points behind with one race to go. This race would award double points, which meant that Rosberg did have a real chance of winning the championship in the final race. Interestingly, all the things that are used to excuse Hamilton from being beaten this year happened. First of all, with the championship on the line, Rosberg took pole position. Then Rosberg had a bad start. Then Rosberg's car failed him and he was actually asked to retire in the end, but insisted on crawling home in 14th place. Of course, Hamilton whould have clinched the title by taking second place behind Rosberg in the race, but only by 4 points. Anyway, the match was pretty even. In 2015 Hamilton beat Rosberg more convincingly, scoring 381 points to Rosberg's 322 points. Hamilton retired once, Rosberg retired twice. In 2016 Rosberg scored 385 points to Hamilton's 380 points. Rosberg retired once and Hamilton retired twice. However, with 4 races to go, Rosberg knew that he could let Hamilton win the rest of the races as long as he scored at least 68 points. Normaly, Hamilton couldn't be expected to beat Rosberg 4 times out of 4. But in this situation Rosberg could afford to be beaten and just made sure he scored enough points himself.

To summarize, Rosberg scored 1195 points, Hamilton scored 1334 points. Rosberg retired 8 times (9 if we count the Abu Dhabi race which cost him as many points as a retirement), and Hamilton retired 7 times. Interestingly, these numbers also go against the explanations put forward by some, that Hamilton's driving is harder on the car, while Rosberg is better at managing (or actively avoiding) problems.

If we take the points difference ,139 points, and divide it by 4, we get 34.75 points per season. This is actually not much, knowing that one retirement could loose you 32 points in a single race. That's basically the whole difference between Hamilton and Rosberg. In other words, if Hamilton and Rosberg had continued as team mates for another 4 seasons, it is probable that Rosberg would have scored more points than Hamilton in at least one of those seasons. So in the end, it is too simple to claim that Rosberg one his title through luck, while Hamilton won his titles through skill. According to the numbers, there is a difference between them, but that difference is so small that it is more likely to result in a 3 - 1 win for Hamilton than 4 - 0.

Andres125sx

Stradivarius wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:This said, to me Rosberg is not a great, he´s a very good driver (as most F1 drivers) but to me most drivers in the grid would have managed to win this title. It was Lewis mechanical failures togheter with some mistakes on his own wich made Rosberg dreams reality. Ok he was good enough to take the opportunity and beat a three times world champion, that´s true, but as stated, to me most drivers in F1 grid are good enough for that. He drove the best car by far so when his teammate had those problems he didn´t need to prove anything, only to be consistent and keep the gifted advantage.
Like many others I think you overestimate the difference between Hamilton and Rosberg
No I don´t. As stated Rosberg is a very good driver, not a great but any driver into a F1 cockpit is a VERY good driver. That means (just in case I did not clarify enough) difference between greats and the rest is not that high.

We like to think our favourite driver can lap anyone on same car, but in real world differences between best driver on the grid and slowest probably is around half a second, so if you compare teammates that difference will be much smaller

I think most difference between teammates usually is related to consistency than pure pace, and Hamilton has never been one of the best in this regard (his weakest point IMO) so his pace advantage (he´s the fastest driver in F1 IMO) is usually minimized by his own mistakes

This season, apart from mechanical failures, he did several mistakes on his own, while Rosberg did a pretty consistent season wich made him the worthy champion

GPR-A duplicate2

Stradivarius wrote:Like many others I think you overestimate the difference between Hamilton and Rosberg. If you look at their 4 seasons as team mates, the differences are quite small. In 2013 Hamilton scored 189 points while Rosberg scored 171 points. 18 points difference is not much, considering that Rosberg suffered 3 retirements, to Hamilton's 1.
You forgot that, while leading the race in Britain, Lewis had a tire blow out which gave Nico the win.
Stradivarius wrote:In 2014 Rosberg was 18 points behind with one race to go. This race would award double points, which meant that Rosberg did have a real chance of winning the championship in the final race. Interestingly, all the things that are used to excuse Hamilton from being beaten this year happened. First of all, with the championship on the line, Rosberg took pole position. Then Rosberg had a bad start. Then Rosberg's car failed him and he was actually asked to retire in the end, but insisted on crawling home in 14th place. Of course, Hamilton whould have clinched the title by taking second place behind Rosberg in the race, but only by 4 points. Anyway, the match was pretty even.
Lewis suffered 2 mechanical failures in qualifying (Germany brakes failed, Hungary engined failed), that allowed Nico to get all the poles and Lewis couldn't challenge him in those races, while Nico never had ANY mechanical issues in qualifying. By the time Nico's engine failed in Abu Dhabi, Lewis was gone and Nico's failure was insignificant in the context of that race. As much as Lewis is getting blamed for this year's bad starts, Nico must take blame for his weak starts in Bahrain, US and Abu Dhabi that year. They both had 3 failures that year, while only Lewis had mechanical failures in qualifying.
Stradivarius wrote:In 2016 Rosberg scored 385 points to Hamilton's 380 points. Rosberg retired once and Hamilton retired twice. However, with 4 races to go, Rosberg knew that he could let Hamilton win the rest of the races as long as he scored at least 68 points. Normaly, Hamilton couldn't be expected to beat Rosberg 4 times out of 4. But in this situation Rosberg could afford to be beaten and just made sure he scored enough points himself.
Lewis had 3 mechanical issues in Qualifying that allowed Nico easy points in 2 races (China and Russia). With so many reliability issues, Lewis did not even participated in Spa qualifying due to engine penalty. One more easy win for Nico. Critically, Lewis had an engine failure while leading the Malaysia GP. While you argue that Nico took it easy and could afford Lewis win those last 4 races this year, but you are again ignoring that Lewis did the same in 2015, after bagging the title in US!

You really tried to bring some balance between their fight and putting weight in Nico's favor, by conveniently ignoring many of the issues, without which the weight would have completely shifted in Lewis' favor. Next time, put some data please, not just convenient view points.

PlatinumZealot

LOL you know it's funny. If Hamilton made the same choice I am almost 100% sure they would say he is a coward, used mercedes and not a true great.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TAG

Pierce89 wrote:
TAG wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:What a load of crap. I'm a college student and in my experience in the FSAE paddock, Hamilton was the butt of many jokes involving dark shades fake " hip hop" accent.
Water seeks its own level.
I'd be willing to bet that the FSAE paddock sits at a higher level than your current hangouts.
I can't imagine you'd understand the amount of condescension you've crammed into one post. This is racist and ignorant in equal measure.

People tell you who they are, thanks for letting us know, Ignored.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत