Onboard - Lewis Hamilton & Michael Schumacher Malaysian Grand Prix. ©F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mycadcae

Onboard - Lewis Hamilton & Michael Schumacher Malaysian Grand Prix. ©F1

So I been seeing a lot of comparison videos with the W07 and F2004. From what I'm seeing the W07 is faster (in qualifying). Is this solely due to the new tire rules they implemented last year? Or is because the F2004 had to run with a full fuel load?

- source Nicholas Barnes Formula Nitro - F1's video
Regard,
Nik Wan, Mechanical Designer, CATIA V5/ Solidworks/Autodesk Inventor/ AutoCAD

Just_a_fan

Re: Onboard - Lewis Hamilton & Michael Schumacher Malaysian Grand Prix. ©F1

Doesn't seem to be working.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bhall II

mycadcae wrote:So I been seeing a lot of comparison videos with the W07 and F2004. From what I'm seeing the W07 is faster...
Sepang's layout was modified for 2016 to include, among other changes, a smoother surface and better drainage. The smoother asphalt makes virtually everything work better, especially aero, and the angles used to increase drainage resulted in a handful of what are essentially banked corners.

I don't know if that explains everything, but it definitely explains some of it.

ringo

Then you have tyres as another factor as well.
For Sure!!

rscsr

bhall II wrote:
mycadcae wrote:So I been seeing a lot of comparison videos with the W07 and F2004. From what I'm seeing the W07 is faster...
Sepang's layout was modified for 2016 to include, among other changes, a smoother surface and better drainage. The smoother asphalt makes virtually everything work better, especially aero, and the angles used to increase drainage resulted in a handful of what are essentially banked corners.

I don't know if that explains everything, but it definitely explains some of it.
But I thought, that they mainly made the corners off camber. At least the last corner I know for certain. So essentially making the cars slower and not faster. But of course the smoother surface helps with speed.

bhall II

Grand Prix Times, Apr 22, 2016 wrote:"We found several issues, geometry, drainages, protections, verges and the quality of the asphalt," Zaffelli explained to Grand Prix Times. "So I designed a series of changes, after consultation with both FIA and FIM.

"The resurfacing and upgrading exercise involves the entire 5.543km track, improving corner driveability and upgrading of the drainage system, the kerbs and the run-off area at Turns 1, 4, 9, 12 and 15."

Alongside the drainage and resurfacing works, Zaffelli proposed several camber changes and the tightening of some corners to increase their challenge, which he believes will lead to greater overtaking opportunities and an overall quicker laptime.

"The expected changes for Formula 1 are a faster track overall, especially T2 and T9.

"The last turn is the major change to the track, with its new shape [it] will bring a new and exciting challenge for all users.