Nostalgia of free winter tests

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Xwang

Nostalgia of free winter tests

Does someone feel nostalgia of free winter tests?
I liked very much when cars were showed at the beginning of the year and then were tested for the following two months.
It was a moment of the year when it was possible to dream.

tpe
tpe

Re: Nostalgia of free winter tests

+1

I do miss this time

zac510

Winter testing will start shortly and there will be hundreds of pictures, videos and live timing available unlike 20 years ago.

Living in nostalgia only ruins your perception of the present.

Gridlock

It's one of the more blunt, unsophisticated cost-control measures, certainly.

Facts Only

I think its better now as everyone runs at the same time in the same place, we can get more details of what everyone is doing and a better comparison. Also its now actually an event that people can attend and see all of the cars.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Gridlock

My fantasy F1 has the rule, "you can build your own circuit and run 24/7 if you wish, but all specified data from this running must be shared between all teams".

Vasconia

zac510 wrote:Winter testing will start shortly and there will be hundreds of pictures, videos and live timing available unlike 20 years ago.

Living in nostalgia only ruins your perception of the present.
Free testing with the current life timing and media would be perfect tough. :mrgreen:

Just_a_fan

I used to pop to Silverstone when they had testing. We were only allowed to sit in a small stand on the outside of Woodcote. You got the full on acceleration out of Luffield on to the start / finish straight. This was the V10 days. Fabulous. I could sit there and know where on the lap the car was by listening to the engine scream, pop and bang at various places.

I remember once sitting there and was joined by a biker. He'd heard the noise at a local petrol station and popped in for a look. I still remember the shock in his voice at the first full-bore blast on to the straight. "F##k me, I thought my bike was quick!". He had a Ducati 916...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

I hope now Bernie has gone we can maybe get some Live coverage in future. With Sky F1 in the UK, they have Craig Slater track side every day for reports. So why cant they just leave a fixed camera at turn 1 looking back down the start finish straight and have the lap times up the side of the screen.
Easy to do and great for us fans. Hopefully it was Bernie saying No as he wanted extra cash for it. And hopefully Liberty Media decide to go the opposite way.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

PlatinumZealot

I like the video with Alain Prost and Damon Hill testing the Williams.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Vasconia

NathanOlder wrote:I hope now Bernie has gone we can maybe get some Live coverage in future. With Sky F1 in the UK, they have Craig Slater track side every day for reports. So why cant they just leave a fixed camera at turn 1 looking back down the start finish straight and have the lap times up the side of the screen.
Easy to do and great for us fans. Hopefully it was Bernie saying No as he wanted extra cash for it. And hopefully Liberty Media decide to go the opposite way.
Internet coverage should improve a lot with CSC. At least it seems that they know who important can be for the future of F1.

bauc

I like it more now as it is, there is more speculation and guessing before the season starts and there are lot more infos available around. The last few years, the pre-season testings are one of the most interesting parts of the season for me, especially since the big changes in 2009 and 2014
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Gridlock

You could put together a very, very good programme with Kravitz, someone like Marc Priestley (waves) and Ant Davidson. If you cared about producing a sports programme that didn't appeal to the lowest common denominator.

strad

Winter testing?
Bring back the Tasman series for winter action.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bdr529

strad wrote:Winter testing?
Bring back the Tasman series for winter action.
Hear, hear,
I would love to see it come back, nostalgic or not, I'm a firm believer of "more racing the better"
though I'm sure half of the members have know idea what the Tasman series was