Come sail away

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
roon

Come sail away

The sails make the cars look taller. This negates the effect of lowering the rear wing height. Was the aerodynamic benefit really so crucial for some teams, to insist upon its return? In contravention of the goal to make the cars look lower, wider, sleeker. Now most of the field look like breadvans again. #-o Ah, well, at least Merc looks good. But then, maybe it benefits more the teams who expect to be driving in wake. 8)

OneAlex

Re: Come sail away

I quite like Renault's but other than that I'm not a fan of them; Force India's in particular is just a big blank piece of metal.

I wonder if they might have looked better if the regulation stated they couldn't go any higher than the rear wing, a sort of in-between of Mercedes and the other cars.

mclaren111

roon:
The sails make the cars look taller. This negates the effect of lowering the rear wing height. Was the aerodynamic benefit really so crucial for some teams, to insist upon its return?
Totally agree !!

I don't think the rules was written to allow the Shark Fins again.

The FIA forgot, as usual, to write the rules properly and did not ensure that area was "clean" :( #-o :(

krisfx

mclaren111 wrote:
roon:
The sails make the cars look taller. This negates the effect of lowering the rear wing height. Was the aerodynamic benefit really so crucial for some teams, to insist upon its return?
Totally agree !!

I don't think the rules was written to allow the Shark Fins again.

The FIA forgot, as usual, to write the rules properly and did not ensure that area was "clean" :( #-o :(
Did the rules ever ban shark fins? iirc the only part they banned was the connection to the rear wing, which left the cars with them in 2011 but slightly shorter...

Cuky

I hope fins are there to stay actually. If it was my decision I would make them mandatory with same size and shape for every team. And as a cherry on the top of the cake I would mandate that large drivers' numbers must be place on them

bhall II

I like 'em for safety.

I strongly suspect these cars are going to be much quicker than the sport's "brain trust" intended. So, the last thing we need is for a tumbling-type crash, which shark fins help guard against and is why they're required in LMP1 and LMP2, to cause a hasty rethink of the rules.

roon

How 'bout a collapsible safety sail? A BHF with less B & H.

bhall II

If they were made from acrylic, aesthetics would be less of an issue.

edu2703

tomazy

Aestetics is not the issue, f1 is a speed competition not a beauty pageant.

roon

Bhall, I can't see what you're talking about.

Ha. But seriously. You raise a good point. Much simpler than my rube-goldbergian-mechanical-mohawk.

tomazy, I agree, but the new regs were a specific effort toward improving aesthetics. I only mean to point out the inconsistency of the approach.

BosF1

roon wrote:tomazy, I agree, but the new regs were a specific effort toward improving aesthetics. I only mean to point out the inconsistency of the approach.
I think the new regulations are there foremost to improve laptimes and hence the attractiveness of the sport.

Edit: spelling

roon

I thought the angled front & rear wings were an aesthetic decision.

Scuderia1967

bhall II wrote:I like 'em for safety.

I strongly suspect these cars are going to be much quicker than the sport's "brain trust" intended. So, the last thing we need is for a tumbling-type crash, which shark fins help guard against and is why they're required in LMP1 and LMP2, to cause a hasty rethink of the rules.

http://i.imgur.com/9342vHX.jpg
Sharkfins in F1 have nothing to do with safety. If they had, don't you think that, like in WEC, they would be mandatory? No, they're just there for aero reasons

bhall II

Ever heard of unintended consequences?