The problem of the F1 car 2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bhall II
bhall II

Re: The problem of the F1 car 2017

Downforce doesn't make cars easier to drive; it just moves the limit of adhesion. As such, it doesn't change the fact that exceeding the limit will create problems...

Every time this topic is brought up, it's by someone who wants to see more from the drivers. Well, you're seeing it: Formula One cars "ride on rails," because they're driven by Formula One drivers.

zac510
zac510

That's it isn't it - basically they just want the drivers to fail more often, because that's supposedly exciting. But the drivers spend dozens of hours in the gyms and doing cognitive training (just like football, hockey, cricket players do too etc) to avoid making mistakes! They really are the best in the world. Then if they do spin off, they get accused of being not good enough.

j2004p
j2004p

zac510 wrote:That's it isn't it - basically they just want the drivers to fail more often, because that's supposedly exciting. But the drivers spend dozens of hours in the gyms and doing cognitive training (just like football, hockey, cricket players do too etc) to avoid making mistakes! They really are the best in the world. Then if they do spin off, they get accused of being not good enough.
+1 sir!

I think that's far too often overlooked that not only has the technology and evolution of the cars changed so much since 'the good ol' days' but sports science has evolved immeasurably in the intervening years.

I remember when there was a lot made about the fact Michael Schumacher's performance was greatly attributed to his physical fitness compared to his peers because he spent far longer training than the rest of the grid.

Today there is a mini army for each driver analysing their performance both on and off the track, their mental state of health.

For what it's worth I think it's far too easy to marginalise the human factor in the 'Formula' and its contribution to the evolution of the sport over the years!

The_table

So you want to see drifting aye?

A lot of people put mechanical car control on a pedestal but driving a car with this much aero is challenging in a different way.

Sevach
Sevach

bhall II wrote:Downforce doesn't make cars easier to drive; it just moves the limit of adhesion. As such, it doesn't change the fact that exceeding the limit will create problems...
If anything when things don't go according to plan they bite you harder.

strad

re. roborace ..
I didn't know they were actually up and running. I stand corrected.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

zac510
zac510

The_table wrote:So you want to see drifting aye?
*gifs*
No no! Anything this era is bad, naughty downforce era, they're fake slides! Sad!

Facts Only
Facts Only

zac510 wrote:
The_table wrote:So you want to see drifting aye?
*gifs*
No no! Anything this era is bad, naughty downforce era, they're fake slides! Sad!
Yeah but that era is in the past... So it's better than what we have now by default.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

downforcemax
downforcemax

interesting

but less downforce means more cornering right ?
corners do make overtaking easyer,?

zac510
zac510

yes, and all tracks have corners so you can overtake on all tracks!

roon
roon

The_table wrote:A lot of people put mechanical car control on a pedestal but driving a car with this much aero is challenging in a different way.
They are as much pilots as they are drivers. Think of it—they give feedback on the way the aerodynamic appendages perform in addition to the more traditional aspects of the car. In this sense some of their skill is as invisible as the air passing over their car.

Do airplane racers recieve such criticisms for not visibly struggling with their vehicles? Are they expected to down their planes?

Andres125sx

downforcemax wrote:Think with me on this, i think we need to stop this trend!

F1 Cars anno 2017 can almost put all there horspower on the track, in early times the cars had more or the same amount of power but there downforce wasnt nearly as good,

we need much more horsepower or much less downforce, the 2017 cars seems to ride on railtracks, and amount of downforce is so great that your not limited of the skill or balls of a f1 driver, but de horsepower of the car.
So you´re assuming F1 drivers can hit whole open throttle almost constantly thanks to downforce? #-o

They cannot hit WOT until engaging 3th gear at least, and that´s on a straight line!!! When going out of a corner things are a lot more difficult obviously.

If you don´t see them sliding more frequently that´s not because cars can´t do it, it´s just because sliding make you loose time, and this is racing, this is about completing the race as fast as possible, not about making some smoke while totalling your own tires
downforcemax wrote:its a fact that if you have way more downforce than horse power driving is easyer
What??? :wtf:

If you knew anything about driving, you´d know it´s exactly the opposite. Sliding on a gravel road is so easy even an amateur like myself can do it easily. Try it on a tarmac road and things become more difficult, as higher grip levels make car movements and reactions faster, so your corrections need to be faster and more precise too.

When grip level goes up, driver reaction time and corrections precision need to go up too. Adding downforce increases grip level, and consequently increase driver demands to control his car

PS: can you please stop opening new threads to make absurd and innacurate complains about current F1?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

zac510 wrote:
downforcemax wrote: if i see it wrong tell me
your wrong

(Well, how can you debate in a thread like this except bring it down to their level?)
i think op should open another thread, this one wasn't enough.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"