limited DRS or radar DRS solution?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Cold Fussion

Re: limited DRS or radar DRS solution?

Completely irrelevant to my question. In your system what is the purpose of DRS?

Wass85

Cold Fussion wrote:Completely irrelevant to my question. In your system what is the purpose of DRS?
To enable a driver to attempt a pass at the end of a straight, what do you think it's purpose is?

Cold Fussion

I don't see how everyone having DRS until they are within one second of the car infront helps in anyway to facilitate passing. Furthermore, how will the car ever pass the car infront if it has a large drag penalty because the car infront of it has DRS? At best the system will nullify itself so why have it at all.

This is what I want you to explain, because you have said multiple times now that this is how DRS should operate yet have provided no explanation as to how this system will aid overtaking. If it's purpose is not to aid overtaking, why do you purpose to arbitrarily to limit active aerodynamics to the rear wing?

zac510

Cold Fussion wrote:I don't see how everyone having DRS until they are within one second of the car infront helps in anyway to facilitate passing.
It makes me nostalgic for the Trulli-train!

(I mean not, that era really sucked).

Wass85

Cold Fussion wrote:I don't see how everyone having DRS until they are within one second of the car infront helps in anyway to facilitate passing. Furthermore, how will the car ever pass the car infront if it has a large drag penalty because the car infront of it has DRS? At best the system will nullify itself so why have it at all.

This is what I want you to explain, because you have said multiple times now that this is how DRS should operate yet have provided no explanation as to how this system will aid overtaking. If it's purpose is not to aid overtaking, why do you purpose to arbitrarily to limit active aerodynamics to the rear wing?
I haven't thought that bit out have I, obviously the defending driver should not be allowed to use DRS.

I don't know the exact figures but I'm sure a car is affected by turbulence over a second behind?

kalinka

Limited push-to-pass as in Indycar - both available to the attacker and defender. I think they nailed it perfectly. Since it is an engine formula, we need something that's independent of aero, and can be used in corners also. Dirty air would still be an issue, but it can be used to catch up if a driver can spare enough attempts to attack.

outer_bongolia

May I propose another solution?
More draggy cars and no DRS.
If you get close to the car in front of you, you will actually get less drag and it will act like DRS on the straights and fast curves. That is until you make a move to pass, when the drag will reduce the speed differential.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Wass85

outer_bongolia wrote:May I propose another solution?
More draggy cars and no DRS.
If you get close to the car in front of you, you will actually get less drag and it will act like DRS on the straights and fast curves. That is until you make a move to pass, when the drag will reduce the speed differential.
I wouldn't be excited seeing passes at 50mph with all that drag..... :D

fiohaa

this really amuses me.
it was none of these things really, the "idiotic" responses had absolutely nothing to do with the original post, and i'm not going to explain why, its beneath me - just take a verbal reasoning class or something.
there were however some proper responses from a few people in this thread, who actually understood the question i posed and tried to give some thoughtful input: Wass85 and Shrieker for example.
really i was interested in the technicalities of how to improve DRS and was not intended to be some argument about whether DRS is good or not (though I explain why it, or something like it, is needed - in the original post).
i wanted to explore how best it could be implemented, either radar or GPS or some other type of system, and what was viable.
maybe i should have emphasised that aspect in the original post.
for a forum that seems so particular about ensuring posts are kept on point, like in the hardware section, i was just surprised at the inane initial responses.

on a side note, i am a huge fan of the indestructable tyre v10 roaring era and the battles between giants, for me F1 died when pirelli degrading tyres became the epicentre of the sport - but if you seriously cannot see why some type of DRS/push to pass system is needed, then you really are looking at that era with rose tinted spectacles.
and again, this has nothing to do with quantity of overtakes either, purely the ability to actually overtake another car, which i made clear in the original post.
Hence my suggestion to some of you of verbal reasoning classes.
peace.

scuderiafan

This is a random thought I had this morning, but:

Would racing be more enjoyable to watch for the fan if, front and rear wings were mandated to have Monza-like dimensions? The idea being that simpler, thinner wings are less affected by turbulent air coming off the rear of a car in front. Why would or wouldn't this work?
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

NathanOlder

The trouble is , thats going to be heading to a same make formula. The moment you tell Mercedes Ferrari RedBull that they have to use the same low downforce wings as a Sauber, they will more than likely leave the sport.
I imagined cars being like GP3 cars with 1000bhp. I guess it would be exciting as the cars wouldn't be able to put the power on the ground, but it would male the cars much slower and less interesting for the current big teams.

Would be a great watch for a few races though :-)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

notsofast

Building on what was said before, DRS is no longer needed at the point the attacking driver moves right or left to start the overtake, because at that time, the driver is no longer in the dirty air. What kind of technical solutions might be available to turn DRS off automatically at that point? Maybe it's as simple as a forward looking laser beam. If there's no car directly in front, turn off DRS.