McLaren looking to replace Honda with BMW?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Juzh

Re: McLaren looking to replace Honda with BMW?

This thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

cramr

Vasconia wrote:
gdogg371 wrote:V10 hybrids please!
plus 1000000000000 to this. V10 were the best engines, what a sound!! =P~
Sorry but you are not going to see that, the world is going away from these engines/technology. Please tell me how many V10 cars are produced and you can buy right now?
If you want the manufacturers to be involved in F1 then you need to use engine technology that they can use (at least in a marketing way) to the public. I only see a V8 or V10 option if there is a single (or 2) independent manufacturer which won't be linked to any car company.

BosF1

Vasconia wrote:
and what do you think the turbo (a large portion of the hybrid system) is going to do with the characteristic sound of a N/A V10?

Vasconia

cramr wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Sorry but you are not going to see that, the world is going away from these engines/technology. Please tell me how many V10 cars are produced and you can buy right now?
If you want the manufacturers to be involved in F1 then you need to use engine technology that they can use (at least in a marketing way) to the public. I only see a V8 or V10 option if there is a single (or 2) independent manufacturer which won't be linked to any car company.
No, no, I know this is only a drea an it wont never happen. The world and the manufacturers are heading towards a completely different direction. Just let me dream about this!

Manoah2u

Why stop at V10!

Bring in the Mighty BMW V12, with a bmw hybrid system,
and win the coming decade!

oh and don't forget to add Kimi Raikkonen to the wheel,
there will be many ice cream eaten on the podium.

ok well on a more serious note.
just fire eric bouillier.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

cramr

Vasconia wrote:
cramr wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
No, no, I know this is only a drea an it wont never happen. The world and the manufacturers are heading towards a completely different direction. Just let me dream about this!
When you go away from the real world this happens
https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/toy ... ch-879987/

RS200E

Re: Honda Power Unit

BrunoH wrote:
RS200E wrote:
BrunoH wrote:they will only switch engines in 2020 for sure... when the new engines will come by.. im sure it will not be turbo engines... everyone wants noise, it will be like the V8 hybrid era... or something along those lines.. but with the same level of electric energy of today cars..so.. i think then its a very feasible option for Mclaren to go to bmw..
Why for sure? Honda will most likely improve significantly this year and in 3 years time be a very good engine.

because before then they cant.. they are stuck... if they will ever change engines will be in the 2020 new engine regs...
Oh so you meant the first opportunity for a change of engines is 2020. Yes I agree.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

BrunoH

yess, sorry

garrett

And which BMW engine McLaren should use if I may ask you? DTM, Formula E or GT??

The truth is that BMW categorically rejected the possibility of an engagement in F1 in short term.

"Formula 1 engagement no issue for BMW":

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 02601.html

Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:Why stop at V10!

Bring in the Mighty BMW V12, with a bmw hybrid system,
and win the coming decade!

oh and don't forget to add Kimi Raikkonen to the wheel,
there will be many ice cream eaten on the podium.

ok well on a more serious note.
just fire eric bouillier.
What role does Bouillier play in the whole McLaren-Honda debacle? How about Ron Dennis (who already left) Jonathan Neale or Zak Brown? As far as I imagine, Bouillier is running the racing team with the tools (Honda and the car, by Tim Goss/Oatley) given to him.

turbof1

Guys, we already have a "mclaren should go back to mercedes" topic. Are we going to add topics for Ford, Toyota, Suzuki, Landa, Yamaha and Caterpillar as well?
#AeroFrodo

DiogoBrand

Yes. It's very likely that BMW is like "Oh, of course, let us invest billions of dollars and god know how many man-hours into this incredibly complex power unit. If Honda works well we just throw it away, but in case they don't, we give you a guarantee, because obviously your F1 performance is very important to us."

Have you ever heard of investment protection? Honda and BMW certainly have, which is the reason why almost certainly Honda can prevent McLaren from terminating the contract, and it's the reason why BMW would certainly not throw precious resources into a formula where they'd be 4 years late "just in case McLaren needs it".
Last edited by DiogoBrand on 10 Mar 2017, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

DiogoBrand

turbof1 wrote:Guys, we already have a "mclaren should go back to mercedes" topic. Are we going to add topics for Ford, Toyota, Suzuki, Landa, Yamaha and Caterpillar as well?
Certainly not Caterpillar, something like this would likely ruin McLaren's size zero concept.

Landa would be my favourite.

garrett

turbof1 wrote:Guys, we already have a "mclaren should go back to mercedes" topic. Are we going to add topics for Ford, Toyota, Suzuki, Landa, Yamaha and Caterpillar as well?
And Zastava! :wink:

adrianjordan

Don't foget Dacia!! (Rebadged 2016 Renault PU) ;)
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️