Tyre war, yes or no??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wass85

Tyre war, yes or no??

After the first test it's apparent that the Pirelli's this year are quite durable. It's looking like we will be having plenty of one stopper's. It's not a question of if the drivers and fans will start to complain it's a question of when.

We could go end up with drivers pitting at the end of the first lap with no other real strategies to explore like the 2011-2016 seasons. Gone will be the memorable drives from the likes of Sergio Perez who has become the master tyre whisperer.

Do you think it's time for a tyre war? Maybe some tinkering with the tyre rules? Your thoughts please.

zac510

Re: Tyre war, yes or no??

It's easy to fantasise about whether a tyre war will be exciting on track or not, but I think we really have to consider the overall health of the F1 economy when deciding to introduce a tyre war, otherwise you risk doing more damage to Formula 1 by inciting a spending war which could force a couple of teams into bankruptcy. F1 really is often a fragile economy so bringing in a tyre war would be like increasing interest rates in the middle of a recession. Having a sole supplier brings some stability to F1's economy, IMO.

Shooty81

Each car must use tires from 2 different manufacturers during the race.

Why not?

Wass85

Mandatory pit-stops should be the first rule to be scrapped IMO.

Wass85

Shooty81 wrote:Each car must use tires from 2 different manufacturers during the race.

Why not?
Yes why not, how would qualifying work though? Aggregate times?

Pingguest

zac510 wrote:It's easy to fantasise about whether a tyre war will be exciting on track or not, but I think we really have to consider the overall health of the F1 economy when deciding to introduce a tyre war, otherwise you risk doing more damage to Formula 1 by inciting a spending war which could force a couple of teams into bankruptcy. F1 really is often a fragile economy so bringing in a tyre war would be like increasing interest rates in the middle of a recession. Having a sole supplier brings some stability to F1's economy, IMO.
If eliminating competition is the right answer, why should Formula One only standardize tires (and electronics)?

Shooty81

Wass85 wrote:
Shooty81 wrote:Each car must use tires from 2 different manufacturers during the race.

Why not?
That is part of the tire war. Let the tire manufacturers fight to be used in Q2 and Q3!

I don't know how it will turn out with the different tire characteristics during the race. But as the teams found a way to cope with changing compounds, and varying fuel loads, I think they will also find a solution for that.

It will mean that tire manufacurers can fight for the best tires, while teams who set on the wrong manufacturer are not lost as they used to be back then.

Wass85

No mandatory pit-stop with a bigger delta between tyres in performance and wear. Drivers can start on any tyre they want, that could at least give is some interesting strategies.

Wass85

Shooty81 wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

Why not?
That is part of the tire war. Let the tire manufacturers fight to be used in Q2 and Q3!

I don't know how it will turn out with the different tire characteristics during the race. But as the teams found a way to cope with changing compounds, and varying fuel loads, I think they will also find a solution for that.

It will mean that tire manufacurers can fight for the best tires, while teams who set on the wrong manufacturer are not lost as they used to be back then.
The thing with that is one tyre will almost certainly be clearly superior to the other, that means all teams will go the same way if given the choice.

Just_a_fan

Whatever silly rules people try to come up with, the simple fact is that the teams will converge on a single strategy that is quickest. You will get the odd outlier but basically there is one way to cover the race distance in the shortest time. That is the way the teams will go. We've seen it before.

The only way around this is to change the rules on a regular basis: that way convergence can't occur in the time available between rule changes.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Here's a thought to throw in a bit of variation: an hour before the race, the FIA randomly assigns a start tyre to each car and publishes the list of assignments. The teams must start on that tyre and then can run what they like thereafter.

Totally gimmicky which should sit well with many so-called fans. Will throw up total blindsides. Drivers will hate it on the days they get a bad assignment. Media will love it because they'll be lots of intruige and bitching.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Facts Only

After years of seemingly everyone pissing and moaning that the tyres wear out too easily we have had one test (yes, just one test) and people have decided that the tyres are now to durable and something needs to be done....

Absolute proof that F1 fans have no idea at all what they want. Except stuff from the past, the past is always better.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Manoah2u

f1 has been influenced and revolving around the tires too much the last years, especially with pirelli.
I would really like to see Pirelli out.
Michelin or Bridgestone would be something i'd like to see. Or even Toyo.

i think it would be interesting to see a setting with atleast 3 different tyre manufacturers,
and a wheel increse to 16" atleast up front and 17" or 18" atleast at the rear.

Michelin
Bridgestone
GoodYear
Continental
Dunlop
Toyo

I'm all for it.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Wass85

Is it me alone who prefers these wheels to the bigger rims proposed?

santos

Manoah2u wrote:f1 has been influenced and revolving around the tires too much the last years, especially with pirelli.
I would really like to see Pirelli out.
Michelin or Bridgestone would be something i'd like to see. Or even Toyo.

i think it would be interesting to see a setting with atleast 3 different tyre manufacturers,
and a wheel increse to 16" atleast up front and 17" or 18" atleast at the rear.

Michelin
Bridgestone
GoodYear
Continental
Dunlop
Toyo

I'm all for it.
Pirelli did what the teams and FIA asked to do. Michelin would never accepted to do what Pirelli did in the 3 years they are in F1.
A tyre war it's not what F1 needs.