Should McLaren return to Mercedes?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
godlameroso

Re: Should McLaren return to Mercedes?

This won't happen this year, you can forget about that. I really hope this doesn't happen at all, I sincerely think that this will work out in the end, and McLaren would be foolish to get a customer engine and be banished to the midfield forever. Ron was right, they can only win as a works team.
Saishū kōnā

diego.liv
diego.liv

Difficult to see Honda leaving the sport. If McLaren ditch the Japanese for Merc, Williams will be seriously thinking about taking McLaren's place (weren't there rumours about Williams as a customer Honda for 2017 or 18, later dismissed?). Williams (with Stroll's investments) and Sauber as customer.

BosF1
BosF1

godlameroso wrote:This won't happen this year, you can forget about that. I really hope this doesn't happen at all, I sincerely think that this will work out in the end, and McLaren would be foolish to get a customer engine and be banished to the midfield forever. Ron was right, they can only win as a works team.
I completely agree. They'll just have to sit it out until Honda sorts their problems, even though it has taken them a considerable amount of time already.

Goran2812
Goran2812

Reckoner wrote:Looks like I predicted it.....

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... on-engines

Deal pretty much done behind the scenes from what my sources say....

Reckoner
What on earth are you talking about? Deal pretty much done? One telephone call and the deal is done? LOL Get real... #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

ollandos
ollandos

if after summer break honda is not on the top lever it will be true...mclaren send honda on sauber and return to mercedes..

Vasconia

godlameroso wrote:This won't happen this year, you can forget about that. I really hope this doesn't happen at all, I sincerely think that this will work out in the end, and McLaren would be foolish to get a customer engine and be banished to the midfield forever. Ron was right, they can only win as a works team.
RB could have perfectly won if the Renault PU would have been better. This only would be a real problem if both team have an equally fast car.

Anyway, I support the idea of continuing with Honda at least this season, but if they are not capable of solving their problems through the season McLaren should think about other choices.

SoCalWJS
SoCalWJS

If this were to happen, is there even a realistic possibility it would happen this year?

I have no idea as to the practical adaptation of a Mercedes engine into the McLaren body that has been designed around a Honda engine. Would it actually fit? Would the airflow produced provide the proper air supply to the engine for cooling? Would the parts be in the same position/place/angle for things such as the transmission? Etc. Etc. Etc.

McLaren might know the answers to these question after talking to Mercedes, but I would guess that until they actually install the engine into their Body, some details would not be known. Seems like a huge risk.

Next year at the earliest IMO, and then the risk of having an Engine that is not quite up to the Mercedes Team engine.

Big gamble. Would love for the Honda engine to suddenly behave up to the top level, but would be hugely surprised.

Henne

Then I wonder... Can you actually be champion when you have a works team like Mercedes? Mercedes would be ridiculed for not winning the championship, when another team, who uses their engine, can clinch the title.

Or is that only me who finds this a bit weird? Engine suppliers should not have a works team, and if they do, they should not sell their engines. But then again it is a multi million business, not many other engine suppliers can simply create a good engine (cfr. Honda).

How would the Italians react if Sauber was champion and Ferrari came second?

marvin78
marvin78

How would Renault react, if RedBull nearly fights the title and wins races and they are not? Oh wait...

Henne

marvin78 wrote:How would Renault react, if RedBull nearly fights the title and wins races and they are not? Oh wait...
I'm sure they are gutted :). I also thought about Renault when I was writing that previous post, but I can't quite understand how they can translate this to their CEO's. Ow yeah, we have the best engine but the rest of the package sucks.

Anyway, McLaren should stick with Honda ;)

santos
santos

We are talking about Mclaren, but i guess then in one or two seasons, we will be talking about Red Bull. Renault returned to F1, and i belive they came with the idea of winning the championship in a few years. Red Bull could be forced to take the solution that Mclaren had to do. Winning the championship being a customer... it's not easy.

ME4ME

McLaren considering engine options
McLaren have confirmed they are "considering options" amid reports they have sounded out Mercedes about a possible engine deal.
Perfect use of the media from Mclaren to put further pressure on Honda.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Reckoner wrote:Looks like I predicted it.....

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... on-engines

Deal pretty much done behind the scenes from what my sources say....

Reckoner
From when?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

JonoNic

Here's a possible senario. McLaren walks out on Honda and jumps ship to take a customer Mercedes deal, because the fans said so. Then RB surprises everyone by taking over the Honda deal and reaps the benefits of a very strong Honda PU that by then has been finely tuned... Thanks McLaren From Horner =D> . It happened with many of their sponsors already.
Always find the gap then use it.

cramr
cramr

ollandos wrote:if after summer break honda is not on the top lever it will be true...mclaren send honda on sauber and return to mercedes..
and why should Sauber accept that? What would they get in return? Tons of money at least?