Changes to the Technical Regulations for 2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nevill3

Changes to the Technical Regulations for 2017

I have been reading the technical regulations for this coming season and I am pleased the teams and the FIA have agreed upon the new Standing Start for wet races after initially following the safety car (Obviously to help move some of the water off the track). There are quite a few other changes too and the FIA have helpfully highlighted any amendments in pink in their document to be found here.....http://www.fia.com/file/54256/download/ ... n=lMCfyJzf
Once the safety car has entered the pit lane all cars, with the exception of those required to
start from the pit lane, must return to the grid, take up their grid positions and follow theprocedures set out in Article 36.9 to 36.13.

If, after several formation laps behind the safety car, track conditions are considered
unsuitable to start the race, the message “START PROCEDURE SUSPENDED” will be sent to all
teams via the official messaging system and all cars must enter the pit lane behind the safety
car. The procedures described in Articles 41 and 42 must then be followed and there will be no
standing start.
This season should see more exciting wet weather races due to this amendment and the new rule about "a driver being wholly responsible for an incident" incurring a penalty should promote more aggressive overtaking attempts with fewer penalties incurred for minor bumps and scrapes. That is my interpretation of the new rule, what do all you think
38.2 a) It shall be at the discretion of the stewards to decide if any driver involved
in an Incident should be penalised.
Unless it is clear to the stewards that a driver was wholly or predominantly to blame for an Incident no penalty will be imposed.
b) If an Incident is under investigation by the stewards a message informing all teams which driver or drivers are involved will be sent via the official messaging system.

Provided that such a message is displayed no later than 60 minutes after
the race has finished the driver or drivers concerned may not leave the circuit without the consent
of the stewards.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

gdogg371
gdogg371

Re: Changes to the Technical Regulations for 2017

I'd go contrary to that and say I'm not a fan of that idea. Feels a bit like breaking the race up unnecessarily.

zac510
zac510

It strikes me as just being like MotoGP in the wet where they get two sighter laps, then form on the grid (unless they have changed this rule recently). Perhaps in time we can do away with following the safety car and just have two parade laps to the grid, then a standing start.

nevill3

gdogg371 wrote:I'd go contrary to that and say I'm not a fan of that idea. Feels a bit like breaking the race up unnecessarily.
I think you have mis-understood the new rule, they only reform on the grid if it is a wet start, they wouldn't reform on the grid after an in race safety car
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978