Who should Honda supply?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SR71

Who should Honda supply?

Warning! Pure speculation ahead.

I'd like to play devils advocate and pose the question who should Honda switch to as their works partner?

I believe Mclaren have held Honda back through veto of supplying other teams.

In my opinion Red Bull are the perfect match for the following reasons:

-2x Teams means more data and support
-clearly capable of delivering a competent chassis
-unbelievable test facilities
-wouldn't be afraid of Honda supplying other teams

For this to work though Honda needs to set aside pride and use Red Bull's consultation. I suspect Red Bull knows more about these power plants than Honda does at the moment.

Fulcrum

Re: Who should Honda supply?

I can see the potential, but Honda and Red Bull, with respect to corporate culture and external image, couldn't be further apart ideologically.

As an example, consider how Red Bull have often openly criticised technical partners with whom they've shared longstanding, fruitful relationships - notably Renault. That sort of outspoken critique simply wouldn't engender an appropriate response from Honda. They'd react badly, as they'd perceive any slight as a mark against their honour/integrity, which is a big deal in Japan, especially at corporate level. Renault were obviously massively displeased but, after some mudslinging, the relationship has been maintained.

In part, this is why I perceive the existing relationship between McLaren and Honda to be extremely uneasy. Neither party appears capable of fronting up honestly; they're constantly tip-toeing around delicate subject matter. McLaren's existence as a top-tier racing team depends massively on Honda now, so they're also far less likely to resort to blunt dialogue. I'm not sure Eric the Believable helps in this regard either.

Realistically, the perfect opportunity slipped away 2 months ago. Honda/McLaren should have stepped in and absorbed Manor. Even if they simply treated the cars as test mules, with very little in season development, the cost/benefit would have far outweighed engaging with any of the other available parties.

As it stands, all other teams currently have better options available to them. The Honda would need to demonstrate itself as superior before anyone will come knocking on their doors. Sauber are probably the most likely candidate at this stage. But, if Honda were to offer them a cut price engine deal, I'd expect Ferrari to step in and offer their 2017 engine for a similar price.

bhall II

GhostF1

I highly doubt Redbull will go for Honda at the moment. If anything, I agree Sauber might take on Honda engines to become current once they get themselves in check. Monisha said they stuck with last years engines so they could concentrate funds and development on the chassis and build around something that is known. So it's possible that they could start taking Honda engines in coming seasons as their business model moves further forward.

Also... a really speculative theory is Haas to drop Ferrari and take on Honda in the future, likely to save a bit of coin. There is always the potential to then rebadge the engines as Acura's to reflect their American roots. Also takes advantage of the sports harder push onto the US audience that liberty is planning.

wunderkind

Who wants Honda PU at the moment?

Singabule

I'll take that If honda give works effort to my team. Mention one sport that honda did not do their Best?!

FW17

With a staff strength of over 700 no one better than Williams

Last edited by FW17 on 17 Mar 2017, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

wunderkind

Singabule wrote:I'll take that If honda give works effort to my team. Mention one sport that honda did not do their Best?!
Sadly, their best is clearly not good enough.

RedNEO

Odd thread name..

It should be 'who would accept a Honda supply'..

mclaren111

wunderkind wrote:
Singabule wrote:I'll take that If honda give works effort to my team. Mention one sport that honda did not do their Best?!
At the moment :(

They will get it right !! :D And then McLaren will cry crocodile tears for leaving them to soon.

Agree with buying the Manor team and use as test mules.

RedNEO

mclaren111 wrote:
wunderkind wrote:
At the moment :(

They will get it right !! :D And then McLaren will cry crocodile tears for leaving them to soon.

Agree with buying the Manor team and use as test mules.
Blind optimism?

After seeing those same words for three years they mean nothing to me now.

Vasconia

wunderkind wrote:Who wants Honda PU at the moment?
Someone with an old engine and not a lot of money........let´s think... SAUBER, is the obvious option. It would be a good move for Honda and for Sauber not right now but yes when Honda sorts out their problems.

luukie

Nice if Honda would buy manor and develop further their PU and whack all the other teams out there.. :)

HPD

:twisted: :twisted:
SuperFormula

Honda reveals Red Bull backing for all-new 2017 Fireblade

Singabule

Nope, the cost will be everest-high. I think stay with mclaren still the Best, because RD vetoed RBR. Sauber would be next best choice, and inject with 300 japanese engineer! I think even Fi and MCL will sweat alot