Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MakkieT

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

adrianjordan wrote:
13 Apr 2017, 09:36
Manoah2u wrote:
13 Apr 2017, 09:31
2018:

Mercedes :
Bottas
Ricciardo

Ferrari :
Hamilton
Vettel

RedBull:
Verstappen
Ocon

Haas:
Perez
Grosjean

Renault:
Sainz
Hulkenberg

Williams:

Stroll
Kvyat

Toro Rosso :

Gasly
??????

Force India:
Giovanazzi
Sirotkin

Sauber :
Nobuharu Matsushita
????
You don't think Mclaren will be on the grid next year then?? 😝
Hamilton to Ferrari is never going to happen. No because of Vettel, but Hamilton repeatedly stated that he just doesn't see the "magic" in Ferrari. There's no special attraction for him. I very much doubt that Ferrari would make him an offer. Yes it's a business, but look at Vettel. He was dreaming red since his childhood. I think the tifosi wouldn't accept Hamilton. Ricciardo is a different story however....

WaikeCU

Jolle wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 09:38
for 2018, as far as I remember, will be Hamilton's last year on his current contract. And since he's been a Mercedes driver since the age of 12, I won't see him break that contract.

The fun thing to watch is how Ferrari and McLaren will get their top drivers, with both Vettel and Alonso in game.

Vettel looks like he can determine the most, he is less affected by past relationships then Alonso. As long as McLaren and Ferrari can't get someone like Verstappen or Ricciardo in the mix, they will have to pay a lot.... said that, I won't see Alonso returning to Ferrari or joining Mercedes, so he might get a big pay cut at McLaren.
Yes and no. Lewis has been with Mercedes all his life, but he has openly mentioned a few times the love for Ferrari and how special it would be driving for the Italian horse. I think it might be different, but all depends how the season pans out. Ferrari are strong this season and knowing how the development race goes, the Ferrari will get quicker throughout the season. It will be exciting to see if they can get quicker than Mercedes by the end of the season.

Paddy and Nico have left the team. I don't know how much impact it has on the performance of the car, but I could see Lewis in a Ferrari.

Lewis to win championships with 3 different teams? I wonder who has done that before?

MakkieT

WaikeCU wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 10:20
Jolle wrote:
for 2018, as far as I remember, will be Hamilton's last year on his current contract. And since he's been a Mercedes driver since the age of 12, I won't see him break that contract.

The fun thing to watch is how Ferrari and McLaren will get their top drivers, with both Vettel and Alonso in game.

Vettel looks like he can determine the most, he is less affected by past relationships then Alonso. As long as McLaren and Ferrari can't get someone like Verstappen or Ricciardo in the mix, they will have to pay a lot.... said that, I won't see Alonso returning to Ferrari or joining Mercedes, so he might get a big pay cut at McLaren.
Yes and no. Lewis has been with Mercedes all his life, but he has openly mentioned a few times the love for Ferrari and how special it would be driving for the Italian horse. I think it might be different, but all depends how the season pans out. Ferrari are strong this season and knowing how the development race goes, the Ferrari will get quicker throughout the season. It will be exciting to see if they can get quicker than Mercedes by the end of the season.

Paddy and Nico have left the team. I don't know how much impact it has on the performance of the car, but I could see Lewis in a Ferrari.

Lewis to win championships with 3 different teams? I wonder who has done that before?
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/ ... of-ferrari
There's more if you google. It's never been his dream.

Santozini

WaikeCU wrote:
Lewis has been with Mercedes all his life
You mean Mercedes powered teams right? He was with Mclaren for most of his life..

Jolle

WaikeCU wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Fangio.... four even, Alfa, Ferrari, Mercedes and Maserati. (although in modern times that would only count as two, fiat and mercedes :P)

For Hamilton's two, you could even argue that the McLaren team from 2008 was in fact the Mercedes works team, with them being the biggest stakeholders at the time....

If Hamilton would go to Ferrari, he wouldn't break contract for it. But he might be in talks during this season to be in a stronger negotiation postion for 2019 (to do an Alonso, sign a contract more then a year in advance)

Jolle

Santozini wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 10:32
WaikeCU wrote:
You mean Mercedes powered teams right? He was with Mclaren for most of his life..
McLaren was the Mercedes works team at the time, with them being the biggest stakeholder and they ran the development program.

WaikeCU

Santozini wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 10:32
WaikeCU wrote:
Yes, that's what I meant.

oetger

2018:

Mercedes :
Verstappen
Wherlein

Ferrari :
Hamilton
Vettel

RedBull:
Riccardio
Sainz

Haas:
Grosjean
Rossi

Renault:
Hülkenberg
Rowland

Williams:
Bottas
Stroll

Toro Rosso :
Gasly
Kvyat

Force India:
Ocon
Sirotkin

Sauber :
Giovanazzi
Ericsson

Mclaren Honda:
Vandoorne
Button

Phil

Can't see Lewis at Ferrari. Nope. Not with Vettel there. Vettel has that certain Schumacher vibe. He loves it there, he even makes an effort to speak in Italian. I don't quite see it happening with Hamilton, even though he might do well. Also, with the whole Hamilton brand in the making, I just can't but help that Mercedes is the much better fit. I could well imagine Hamilton ending his career at Mercedes, assuming they remain competitive.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GM7

Mercedes : Hamilton / Bottas

Bottas is doing a good job, so Mercedes will keep him.

Ferrari : Vettel / (Raikkonen/Ricciardo/Grosjean/Perez)

If the scuderia decides to change his lineup, they will look for an experienced and fast driver. Ricciardo looks a little bit disapointed with his situation at RedBull, Grosjean and Perez are very experienced now and they're just waiting for a winning car.

RedBull : Verstappen / (Ricciardo/Sainz)

If Ricciardo go in an other team, Carlos will be there...

Renault : Hulkenberg / (Sainz/Ocon)

Probably the last year of Palmer at Enstone, the team is looking for a very young and promising driver.

Mclaren : Alonso / Vandoorne

In my opinion, Zak Brown found a very good trick to keep Alonso, the spanish is allowed to drive at Indy 500 or Le Mans if he wants...

Williams : Stroll / (Massa/Grosjean/Perez/Ocon/Wehrlein)

As Force India, the team is very linked with Mercedes, but with the arrival of Paddy Lowe this team became very interresting for drivers like Perez and Grosjean.

Haas : Magnussen / (Grosjean/Giovinazzi/Leclerc)

If Grosjean finds a seat in a potential winning car, Giovinnazzi will get the seat or Leclerc if he became F2 champion.

Force India : Perez / Ocon or Perez / Wehrlein or Wehrlein / Ocon

The team is very linked to Mercedes now.

Toro Rosso : Sainz / Gasly or Gasly / Kvyat

Just RedBull logic...

Sauber : Giovinazzi / Palmer / Ericsson / Wehrlein / ???

So many possibilities...

Jolle

Drivers I presume that are under contract for 2018:
- Hamilton
- Ricciardo
- Verstappen
- Ocon
- Magnussen
- Hulkenberg

Raikkonen probally has his last year (at ferrari at least)
Massa might finally really get his retirement
Alonso? another year at McLaren? there are very limited works-team options for him

Mercedes: Bottas will be a simple choice, as long as he won't get pulled away by Ferrari (to pressure talks with Vettel)
Ferrari: Will do their best to retain Vettel, no other real options. Nr2 seat could go to Grosjean or someone like Bottas (or even Perez)
McLaren: Alonso, if they work out an arrangement or Button alongside Vandoorne
Renault: Hulk with? probably a RedBull driver like Sainz or Kvyat
Haas: Magnussen and, if Grosjean takes the nr 2 Ferrari: Giovinazzi
Toro Rosso: fresh blood, they are not here to have years and years of the same drivers and Sainz doesn't want to be supersub all his career.
Force India: Ocon and prob just Perez. Drives well, pays well.
Williams: Wehrlein and Stroll
Sauber: second grade with lots of cash.

AJI
AJI

Alonso to Renault

Manoah2u

Not sure that would be a good thing.

A) i am rather pessimistic whether Renault can compete for the WDC next year, or the year after too.
B) a repeat of the Ferrari and Mclaren years being at best able to get a win under the belt, but another 3-4 years of not having a WDC
C) the above would be total character kill for his own career
D) if he actually does win and perhaps grab a WDC, he does it at the only team he could; enstone. so what does that say and classify him vs a Hamilton, a Senna, a Schumacher, and this year potentially, a Vettel?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle

Renaults plans clearly don't include Alonso. Last year they already were quite vocal not being interested in the champion from 12 years ago, but want the star of the future. In Hulkenberg they have the steady development driver and, if the car comes together, a possible race winner. In the coming years they will look at guys like Ocon, Ricciardio or Verstappen.

PlatinumZealot

Renault is starting to look very attractive now. Kyvat might take a punt if redbull lets him go.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏