Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

With the latest controversies, I wonder who is going to kick it off.
I can imagine both Ferrari and Mercedes are waiting if Verstappen can get out of his RedBull contract, you don't want your cars taken with him available.

If he can't, I expect that Ferrari and Mercedes will keep their Fins and Sainz is finally released (to whatever team Alonso isn't going).

Phil

Cold Fussion wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 04:18
Thank you for linking to me to an article without any quotes or sources listed, as well as a wikipedia page showing the vast majority of the planet has a legal drinking age of 18.
Quite frankly, I'm amazed you're not getting this.

Doesn't exactly require rocket science level of intelligence to see where I am (or the article I quoted is) going with this. It's not just about the legal drinking age, but more to the point about the promotion of alcohol. There's a reason why we don't see barely legals promoting alcoholic drinks (or cigarettes).

Here's another one (maybe you find this one more credible?):

Discover Grandprix wrote:The first issue of Martini is one of brand and more specifically brand image. The drink is normally aimed at older men in their 30s and if Stroll at 18 and Wehrlein at 22 were in the team together, then Martini will find it hard to maximise the returns on their sponsorship fee. The thought of having to use these two very young looking guys in their marketing and advertising collateral doesn’t compute. Massa has worked well for Martini. As an ex Ferrari driver who is extremely well known across the World and in his mid 30s, he holds the cache that the drinks brand is looking for. Hence for Williams to be covering their bases by opening up a conversation about 2017 with him is sensible.

https://discovergrandprix.com/f1-news-i ... -williams/

And another:

Fox Sports Australia wrote:A prime one is that Williams sponsor Martini contractually requires an experienced driver over the age of 25, a box neither Stroll nor Wehrlein, should Mercedes have offered him up, tick. Stroll also reportedly contractually requires to be paired with an experienced driver for his rookie season.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/ ... 179be3044c

Joe Saward commented on it too:

Joe Saward wrote:There are various rumours kicking around that Williams has two problems letting Bottas go: the first is with sponsor Martini, which needs at least one the drivers to be at an age where they appeal to the target market: with the 35-year-old Felipe Massa and the 27-year-old Bottas worked, it will be less easy with an 18-year-old Lance Stroll and a 22-year-old Pascal Wehrlein. This might be solved by Williams picking up Felipe Nasr (an old test driver) who is 24, but even he is a bit young.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/12/13/33062/

This is all old news. And above all, this was already discussed at the end of last year when Rosberg decided to unexpectedly quit.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not going to participate in any discussion on what the legal age should be or what the correct age is to promote alcohol or cigarettes. Also, to add to the topic: last year it apparently wasn't just the sponsorship with Martini, but also that Stroll (who is linked to significant sponsorship money) mandated an "experienced" driver alongside him (more in the Joe Saward link). How much this is still relevant to 2018 is anyone's guess, but why wouldn't it be?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Vasconia

Redragon wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 23:57
Diesel wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 18:01
Alonso is almost certainly leaving McLaren at the end of this year, so in my opinion this leaves two possibilities.

2018 - Renault: Alonso/Hulkenberg - replacing the struggling Palmer
2018 - Williams: Alonso/Stroll - replacing Massa, allowing the old champ to retire ;)
After what Vettel did today, I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari is on that list too.
People are starting to overreact with the Vettel thing. Ferrari tends to protects its drivers if they deliver, what is exactly what Vettel is doing.

After 1997´s incident Schumacher continued in Ferrari(thank God). Why should be different now?. Well, we are living in a sociedty where any single "incorrect" thing is becoming like a mass killing or something like that. But I am sure that nothing will change in Maranello if Vettel continues to bring good results.

ScottB

Vasconia wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 11:15
Redragon wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 23:57
Diesel wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 18:01
Alonso is almost certainly leaving McLaren at the end of this year, so in my opinion this leaves two possibilities.

2018 - Renault: Alonso/Hulkenberg - replacing the struggling Palmer
2018 - Williams: Alonso/Stroll - replacing Massa, allowing the old champ to retire ;)
After what Vettel did today, I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari is on that list too.
People are starting to overreact with the Vettel thing. Ferrari tends to protects its drivers if they deliver, what is exactly what Vettel is doing.

After 1997´s incident Schumacher continued in Ferrari(thank God). Why should be different now?. Well, we are living in a sociedty where any single "incorrect" thing is becoming like a mass killing or something like that. But I am sure that nothing will change in Maranello if Vettel continues to bring good results.
If anything it probably rules out any slim chance that Merc would have considered pairing Lewis with Seb, rather than making it likely Ferrari would want to replace him.

Vasconia

ScottB wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 12:15

If anything it probably rules out any slim chance that Merc would have considered pairing Lewis with Seb, rather than making it likely Ferrari would want to replace him.
Okkkkkkkkkkkk, in this case I agree. But Lewis doesnt like any teammate who can beat thim(as many drivers I guess). So I see 0% chances to see Vettel or Alonso in Mercedes.

GPR-A duplicate2

Vasconia wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 12:21
ScottB wrote:

Okkkkkkkkkkkk, in this case I agree. But Lewis doesnt like any teammate who can beat thim(as many drivers I guess). So I see 0% chances to see Vettel or Alonso in Mercedes.
Wrong. His time with Button wasn't an issue at all. Though Button did beat him on so many occasions, the respect was never lost. In spite of going head to head with Alonso, there was no loss of respect. Though Alonso created havoc in the team. Lewis had issues with Nico because of Nico's dirty and filthy ways. That's about it. It seems like being egoistic, dirty and filthy is in DNA of German racing drivers, at least those who happen to be in race winning cars.

If Vettel (Ask Webber) or Alonso doesn't get paired with Lewis, it is more to do with their evil ways. Lewis has always said he doesn't care who they pair him with.

Manoah2u

Button and Hamilton actually had contact in Canada, which wasn't really enjoyed much by Lewis, but really nothing more than that either. Lewis wasn't too happy about Mclaren at that moment either way, so in any case, it was rather lewis unhappiness than it was anything at all, and really, there wasn't anything at all there. Button had a glorious win, also.

Hamilton and Button was a fantastic pairing that i loved since it's inception.

Vettel is too of a hothead to be paired to Lewis, that is clear. That is not going to happen. Vettel has just buried his possibilities of getting to Mercedes alongside Lewis.
Unfortunately, this would not bode well for Hamilton's chances of going to the reds to pair Vettel.

Ferrari offcourse is 'defending' vettel to the media and avoiding the issue - logical, really. not nice, not cool, but absolutely logical and the political thing to do.
but better believe that behind closed doors, vettel is going to get slapped around against the walls like hell. he was crazy mad last year, at mexico, and Ferrari (and the FIA)
didn't leave that unattended. Zero doubt that he's getting quite the bitter end from that insane behaviour behind closed doors from not only the FIA (though i can't take them seriously),
but without a doubt Arrivabene (who does do an amazingly stellar and respectable job of being superbly calm and polite, i have endless respect for the man) will confront him on the matter,
but Marchionne will smell blood, and i haven't even delved into the curent mr. Ferrari either. Why? because this is very bad for their image and because it could have resulted SO.MUCH.WORSE.

stuff like this can cost them the championship. they will NOT take that lightly.

Ferrari has slipped down on the backfoot after Mercedes repacked themselves, they can NOT afford stuff like this.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 12:54
Vasconia wrote:
ScottB wrote:

Wrong. His time with Button wasn't an issue at all. Though Button did beat him on so many occasions, the respect was never lost. In spite of going head to head with Alonso, there was no loss of respect. Though Alonso created havoc in the team. Lewis had issues with Nico because of Nico's dirty and filthy ways. That's about it. It seems like being egoistic, dirty and filthy is in DNA of German racing drivers, at least those who happen to be in race winning cars.

If Vettel (Ask Webber) or Alonso doesn't get paired with Lewis, it is more to do with their evil ways. Lewis has always said he doesn't care who they pair him with.
You assume Hamilton hasn´t been a dirty driver in many ways(politics, on the track,etc). Good for you.

But this is not the topic to discuss who driver is clean or not or to bring back 2007 ONCE AGAIN, that year no one played fair.

zac510

Anybody considered Ferrari signing Bottas before Mercedes sign him for another year? That would sure give Toto something to bang his fist about!

Vasconia

Manoah2u wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:03
Button and Hamilton actually had contact in Canada, which wasn't really enjoyed much by Lewis, but really nothing more than that either. Lewis wasn't too happy about Mclaren at that moment either way, so in any case, it was rather lewis unhappiness than it was anything at all, and really, there wasn't anything at all there. Button had a glorious win, also.

Hamilton and Button was a fantastic pairing that i loved since it's inception.

Vettel is too of a hothead to be paired to Lewis, that is clear. That is not going to happen. Vettel has just buried his possibilities of getting to Mercedes alongside Lewis.
Unfortunately, this would not bode well for Hamilton's chances of going to the reds to pair Vettel.

Ferrari offcourse is 'defending' vettel to the media and avoiding the issue - logical, really. not nice, not cool, but absolutely logical and the political thing to do.
but better believe that behind closed doors, vettel is going to get slapped around against the walls like hell. he was crazy mad last year, at mexico, and Ferrari (and the FIA)
didn't leave that unattended. Zero doubt that he's getting quite the bitter end from that insane behaviour behind closed doors from not only the FIA (though i can't take them seriously),
but without a doubt Arrivabene (who does do an amazingly stellar and respectable job of being superbly calm and polite, i have endless respect for the man) will confront him on the matter,
but Marchionne will smell blood, and i haven't even delved into the curent mr. Ferrari either. Why? because this is very bad for their image and because it could have resulted SO.MUCH.WORSE.

stuff like this can cost them the championship. they will NOT take that lightly.

Ferrari has slipped down on the backfoot after Mercedes repacked themselves, they can NOT afford stuff like this.
They will talk to him for sure, as they (I am sure) did last season after he insulted Whitting. But there won´t be blood inside the team, they are united now, doing things right and Vettel is performing very well. They will move forward pretty soon.

Jolle

Vasconia wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:18
GPR-A wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

You assume Hamilton hasn´t been a dirty driver in many ways(politics, on the track,etc). Good for you.

But this is not the topic to discuss who driver is clean or not or to bring back 2007 ONCE AGAIN, that year no one played fair.
I believe there were also other things at play during the Button/Hamilton years. Hamilton wasn't in a good place. Don't forget that he's been a Mercedes driver since he was 12 and shortly after he signed an 3 year extension on his contract, Mercedes decided to sell McLaren and start their own team. It was in hindsight quite obvious that he would (re)sign for Mercedes for the 2013 season. Above anything else, he is kinda loyal.... Especially during the 2011 season he clashed a lot (remember the outbursts on twitter?).

Since then Hamilton actually is quite transparent. He likes a good fight on track, brushing the limits and always under control, but when you cross him, like Rosberg did from Monaco 2014 or Vettel now, like Wolff said, the gloves come off. He will use every opportunity on track to show that he is faster, can overtake you when he wants and pushes you into mistakes. For me he found the fine line between hard racing and dirty racing. Verstappen is following the same line, which annoys drivers like Vettel and Rosberg who respond with dirty racing...

Vasconia

Jolle wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:32
Vasconia wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 15:18
GPR-A wrote:

I believe there were also other things at play during the Button/Hamilton years. Hamilton wasn't in a good place. Don't forget that he's been a Mercedes driver since he was 12 and shortly after he signed an 3 year extension on his contract, Mercedes decided to sell McLaren and start their own team. It was in hindsight quite obvious that he would (re)sign for Mercedes for the 2013 season. Above anything else, he is kinda loyal.... Especially during the 2011 season he clashed a lot (remember the outbursts on twitter?).

Since then Hamilton actually is quite transparent. He likes a good fight on track, brushing the limits and always under control, but when you cross him, like Rosberg did from Monaco 2014 or Vettel now, like Wolff said, the gloves come off. He will use every opportunity on track to show that he is faster, can overtake you when he wants and pushes you into mistakes. For me he found the fine line between hard racing and dirty racing. Verstappen is following the same line, which annoys drivers like Vettel and Rosberg who respond with dirty racing...
I have just mentioned this on the race´s topic. He likes to provoke situations where the other driver makes the mistake and he appears to be innocent.

I disagree with Hamilton being such transparent. He plays politics more than he likes to admit.

CBeck113

GPR-A wrote:
Lewis had issues with Nico because of Nico's dirty and filthy ways. That's about it. It seems like being egoistic, dirty and filthy is in DNA of German racing drivers, at least those who happen to be in race winning cars.

I'll assume that you have a problem with the ways of Schumacher, Rosberg (who was only German on paper, but yeah it fits here) and Vettel, which is ok, but I think you're missing an important aspect - they aren't more or less evil than other drivers, they are unable to hide it as well - it's a culture thing, and makes them look quite badly when compared with other drivers. OK, and maybe they were willing take it a bit too far as well....try things others may not have attempted. But without them the last 20 years would have been boring as hell...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

GPR-A duplicate2

CBeck113 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 16:07
GPR-A wrote:
Lewis had issues with Nico because of Nico's dirty and filthy ways. That's about it. It seems like being egoistic, dirty and filthy is in DNA of German racing drivers, at least those who happen to be in race winning cars.

I'll assume that you have a problem with the ways of Schumacher, Rosberg (who was only German on paper, but yeah it fits here) and Vettel, which is ok, but I think you're missing an important aspect - they aren't more or less evil than other drivers, they are unable to hide it as well - it's a culture thing, and makes them look quite badly when compared with other drivers. OK, and maybe they were willing take it a bit too far as well....try things others may not have attempted. But without them the last 20 years would have been boring as hell...
Michael offered waaaay more than a few hard nosed instances. He is an iconic figure for F1. But Vettel and Nico haven't done anything to warrant such respect as Michael did (a huuuge fanboy here). I am only including him for those on track antics for being a German.

We also had people like Fangio, Clark, Mansell, Prost (arguable for off track) and Mika who also offered great battles without being nasty on track. So, F1 would still be lovable sport without the likes of Vettel and Nico.

Vasconia

F1 is what it is thanks thanks to both type of drivers. You can like or dislike them but F1 woldn´t be the same.

Anwyay I prefer two drivers colliding because both are super aggressive than what Vettel did.