Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WaikeCU

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

CBeck113 wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 20:39
WaikeCU wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 00:18
Let's go nuts:

Mercedes
Hamilton
Verstappen

Ferrari
Vettel
Ricciardo

Red Bull
Sainz
Alonso

Williams
Wehrlein
Stroll

Force India
Perez
Ocon

Renault
Hulkenberg
Kubica

Toro Rosso
Gasly
Gelael

Haas
Grosjean
Leclerc

Mclaren
Bottas
Vandoorne

Sauber
Ericsson
Matsushita
Best list yet! Well done, even if not very realistic, but would be a blast to see.
Actually, it looks kinda unrealistic, but let me explain how I've come to this:
  • Mclaren have announced that they will get support of Mercedes. Mercedes will get an advisory role to aid Honda in the need to gain up to par performance and reliability.
  • Sauber announces a new engine deal with Honda. They'll get a better deal, because they'll debut Matsushita in the F1 recommended by the management at Honda. Honda hopes that with two Honda powered teams, they can improve with strides as there is more data.
  • Ferrari have announced they will release Raikkonen at the end of the 2017 season, which will lead to the retirement of the Iceman's F1 career. Despite his retirement, Raikkonen will remain an ambassador for the Ferrari brand.
  • Alonso calls it quits at Mclaren explaining that he was patience in this whole adventure with Mclaren-Honda, but that he no longer has time left to win his 3rd WDC as there's barely any improvement in 3 seasons time. He wishes them the best as he gets a new offer somewhere else. The Alonso news made people wonder if he's set for a return to Ferrari, in which Fernando denied instantly.
  • Ricciardo was linked to the prancing horse in the past, but with Alonso denying the rumours, Ricciardo is even more linked with Ferrari than ever before. Ricciardo stated that it would be his childhood dream, if it became true. Days after, on a Wednesday, Ricciardo signs for 3 seasons with Ferrari.
  • The empty seat at Red Bull gets taken by Sainz, who finally gets the promotion.
  • After a disappointing first season at Mercedes, ending 4th in the WDC, Bottas will be released by Toto Wolff at the end of the season. As a manager of Bottas and executive director of Mercedes AMG Petronas F1, negotiations with Mclaren for Mercedes advisory role also led to a seat for the Finn at the Woking based team.
  • Jenson Button announced his retirement after being disappointed not getting the seat back at Mclaren.
  • Lauda was spotted a couple of times in the paddock with Jos Verstappen in the US GP and the Brazilian GP. This led to the rumour of Max Verstappen being linked with a move to Mercedes, which eventually was announced right before the final GP of the season at Abu Dhabi. Dr Helmut Marko is left fumed.
  • Some head scratching for Red Bull. Both their drivers have left the team and only Sainz has joined the team.
    Team boss Horner believes the team still lacks the experience to win with no disrespect to Sainz, but Sainz still needs to prove he can cope with the pressure battling against the big guys up front. It is right at this point Alonso contacted for a drive. Even though he's not in a Red Bull program, his career statistics backs him up to guarantee a drive at Red Bull. Who doesn't want a champion in a team? Alonso signs a deal for 1 season.
  • Massa finally says farewell to the sport at the final race. He's working with Williams and Ginetta for the future LMP1 program and a start in the 24h of Le Mans.
  • For financial reasons, Stroll remains with the team. The Mercedes engine deal remains with protegé Wehrlein joining the team.
  • Force India remains unchanged. The team is content with their current line up and vice versa.
  • Gasly finally promotes to F1 even though his adventure in Formula Nippon, didn't turn to a success, as he only manages 4th in the Championship standings. He teams up with Gelael at Toro Rosso who impressed the team during testing.
  • Harsh times at Haas. Haas were ready to promote to Leclerc to F1, but one has to move over. Finally, Magnussen loses his seat. However, KMag has openly mentioned he would like to drive the 24h of Le Mans with his father Jan.
    And so, Haas announced they'll enter a Haas Ferrari 488 GTE for the 24h of Le Mans. A Danish trio will drive for the car: The Magnussens and Christina Nielsen.
  • Jolyon Palmer loses his ride at Renault due to disappointing results. He only managed a single points finish this season. Remarkably, his seat is taken by former Renault driver Robert Kubica. Promising signs were seen when he tested a GP3 car and soon he has worked his way back physically and mentally. Renault offered him a few outings in a 2016 Renault F1 car to prepare him for the 2018 season.
Enjoy! :D

GPR-A duplicate2

dren wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 01:51
I just want to know what team Villeneuve is going to race for next year.
I thought they don't use the "Lollipop" anymore in F1. Do they still use one?

marmer

Might be time to replace Palmer mid season

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

adrianjordan

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 01:44
Cold Fussion wrote:
29 Apr 2017, 05:57
Manoah2u wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 18:29
the downvoting on the forum is going out of control. i get the feeling we have a lot of sensitive toes and shins here and people despite handing out blows can't take one back, and then become childish and downvote with rediculous reasons, and some go as far as to make sure they keep downvoting on a daily basis out of some feeling of wrath.

i think personally, the voting option should be abolished and there should be a system that new members can only post after 3 days of membership, and after 7 days a new topic.
that way you filter out the spambots.

i'd rather see the amount of postcounts over 'voting points'.
It's amusing you complain about people are overly sensitive when probably a third of your posts are you moaning about being downvoted.
perhaps you have failed to notice that this comment is about a lot of recent downvoting behaviours. some members here actually get labeled with the weirdest reasons for getting a downvote for something that's actually factually correct and not asking for a single downvote at all, so if you think this is moaning about 'myself' then you're dead wrong. the fact i'm actually being vocal about it doesn't mean it's merely only my opinion or happening to me.

i do not care about getting upvotes, nor about downvotes but what i do care about is when these downvotes go paired with seriously doubtfull reasons and when you start to notice certain members get downvoted twice every 24 hours after they made a comment - again, not even me personal - that hit the wrong note for somebody then it's just plain old silly.

essentially this is hapening:

"Look at the Ferrari in the corner, that is planted amazingly solid, we have a very strong Ferrari here"

then you get downvoted as such:

reason: fanboy. / ferrari is slow / liar / redbull is better / waste of bandwith

i don't think it needs explenation why those comments are rediculous.

i think if somebody feels honestly about discussing a reply/topic, they will do it -civilly- by replying to the very post. the voting system however gives you somewhat of a free 'hatercard' and as it's also anonymously, only asks for abuse - which is exactly what's happening. people seem to get offended and then 'i'll get you, here, eat a downvote'.

which again brings me to the point that i really don't see the use of the downvoting function, at all.
worse actually, a new member might mention something that people either misunderstand or because the poster isn't up to knowledge enough, and then gets a mutli-downvote-shower and due to his -10 status essentially is labeled like an outcast and 'not worthy'.

i think the upvoting system is not bad per sé, as members like Wizari bringing actual knowledge and very valuable information to the table definately deserve upvotes, but then again at the same time, the informations is more important than the 'voting'.

but anyway thanks for expressing your 'amusement' in your comment. anything more valuable to add to the discussion then?
Totally agree!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

OneAlex

WaikeCU wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 00:18
Let's go nuts:
I want this grid, apart from the Williams line up. So...

To go a little nuttier, swap the Williams combo for Giovinazzi and Mehri. Just for fun.

914hald

rscsr

Interesting at least. So whom does he replace? I think the most likely cockpit is the Renault of Palmer.
Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, Torro Rosso and Force India are pretty unlikely. I also don't think the Stroll gets replaced and Haas also seems to have no driver issue. Sauber won't replace Wehrlein and Ericssons backers own the team.
And McLaren has Button should Alonso decide to walk away.

GPR-A duplicate2

rscsr wrote:
08 May 2017, 23:18
Interesting at least. So whom does he replace? I think the most likely cockpit is the Renault of Palmer.
Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, Torro Rosso and Force India are pretty unlikely. I also don't think the Stroll gets replaced and Haas also seems to have no driver issue. Sauber won't replace Wehrlein and Ericssons backers own the team.
And McLaren has Button should Alonso decide to walk away.
Palmer.

scuderiafan

I think if anything, the Timo Glock rumors confirm that the fans believe Palmer to be the weakest link on the grid.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

marmer

stroll might be slower at the moment but should improve.

PlatinumZealot

Pirelli test car....
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Henne

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 May 2017, 06:25
Pirelli test car....
That was my guess as well... I don't think Timo wants to get in F1 anymore.

rscsr

Henne wrote:
09 May 2017, 09:22
PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 May 2017, 06:25
Pirelli test car....
That was my guess as well... I don't think Timo wants to get in F1 anymore.
I thought so too at first, but in his Instagram post he says he will tell us soon which race will be his first in F1 this year.
realglocktimo Instagram Post wrote: Happy to announce after a positive start in to 2017 @dtm_motorsport season i got straight a call from F1 Team for a seat fit! Will let you know soon which one will be the first race! Still in talks 👍#F1 #f1comeback #comebackstronger

marmer

Replacing massa to kill his career off for good

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

santos

Must be Palmer. I don't see other driver in the risk of losing his seat.