In 2011 F1 was replaced by a huge rubber durability study

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
torpor

In 2011 F1 was replaced by a huge rubber durability study

Since Pirelli became tire supplier in 2011 everything in formula 1 is about tires. Every article no matter if it's about practice sessions, races, cars, drivers is always 90 percent dealing with tires and tire management.

Why nobody talks about replacing Pirelli with a company that has the skills to develop a tire for f1 that is useable?

Why Pirelli does not retire by itself? It can't be good for their image that all teams always complaining about tires that are not working?

They had six (!) years to develop a tire that fairly works.

The tires now have grotesque dimensions but still perform worse than tires you can buy for your private car.

If I had three wishes one would be to hear the term 'tire management' never more.

hurril

Re: In 2011 F1 was replaced by a huge rubber durability study

They are doing what is ordered of them as a tyre provider. I don't agree with it either really but without it, there would be no pit stops.

Sonador

I love Pirelli's i have them on my motorcycle.

As hurril said, Pirelli exactly makes what F1 askes them to do.
And if you look at the history of racing, tyres Always play a significant role.

BanMeToo

torpor wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 22:45
The tires now have grotesque dimensions but still perform worse than tires you can buy for your private car.
:?

zac510

For years before that we talked about tyres non-stop too: when Bridgestone came in and dominated over poor Goodyear; when Goodyear left and Bridgestone just made some round rocks instead; when Ferrari guided Bridgestone development to the detriment of others; when changing the interpretation of tyre shoulder was changed which punished Michelin; when the rules were changed in 04 which punished Bridgestone/Ferrari; Indy, etc. Tyres have always played a huge part in Championships.

torpor

That Pirelli builds those rollers just because F1 wants them to is just an excuse for their inability.
Does anybody believe that Liberty media or the FIA would take Pirelli to the court for building too good tires?

Juzh

At least they're structurally sound this year (so far), unlike in the past.

Manoah2u

torpor wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 22:45

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

DarkSurferZA

torpor wrote:That Pirelli builds those rollers just because F1 wants them to is just an excuse for their inability.
Does anybody believe that Liberty media or the FIA would take Pirelli to the court for building too good tires?
I think comments void of fact are not constructive.

Pirelli is not a fly by night manufacturer and are quite decorated in their motorsport history. The FACT that they made a faster tyre last year demonstrates that they have the technical know how to manufacture quick racing tyres.

There were complaints last year that teams couldn't push the rubber throughout the race and teams were doing too much tyre management. So Pirelli pushed the "hardness" of the rubber essentially one grade up from where they were last year to give teams the ability to push more often.

If F1 wanted to see the manufacturers flex their technical muscle, introduce a second manufacturer. It didn't work out during the Bridgestone Michelin era as the race was decided before hand by the tyre not the constructor.

It's a balance of the tyre we need, vs the tyre we want. Nothing to do with the tyre they're able to make.

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

DarkSurferZA

ChrisDanger wrote:
DarkSurferZA wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 14:29
Very reasonable post, but no amount of reason can sway this:

Noun: torpor
|tor-pu|
A state of motor and mental inactivity with a partial suspension of sensibility
I agree that this noun is in fact fitting, but is this the fault of Pirelli, the FIA, Liberty Media, FOM, the teams...

I feel that fault lies across the board, but if I were Pirelli, I would not want the media butchering of being labelled as the manufacturer with the 4 stop tyre that we have seen in the past.

I just feel there is a lot of abuse sent in the direction of well established brands like Pirelli, Honda, Haas (brake by wire issue) etc with some kind of layman expectation that anyone with a Raspberry Pi, a 3d printer and access to some money could do better. We can't chase away the people, brands and the money that make this the pinnacle of motorsport and technology that it is. It's why Bridgestone left after all.

The tyres are too hard, not conducive to the racing we expect, I agree. But the people are not stupid and the companies are not inept

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

ChrisDanger

The definition I posted was of the OPs username. Seems like an obvious troll account.

I agree Pirelli and others get a lot of abuse from people who know nothing yet think they could do a better job.

Zynerji

I'd rather see each team develop their tyres in- house.

Then we would see fully optimized physics benders in action.

Steven
Owner

FACT: Pirelli builds tyres so that they don't last an entire race, as the FIA asks them to

FACT: Pirelli got things wrong in the past, but they have always claimed this is partly due to a lack of testing (due to teams having limitations on the amount of testing during a season). This ultimately led to more in-season tyre testing (but only AFTER problems, and not as soon as Pirelli asked for it).

We could go on, but I think this thread is done...