Time trial courses

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marmer
marmer

Time trial courses

Liberty Media are thinking of ways to improve the sport and it has been thought of increasing the amount of races we do.

having a think about it led me to the idea of time trial courses event would be over in 1 day.

2 hours to practice 1 hour to go as fast as possible

these special events would be worth trophy's and money to the teams and driver. driver would get individual prize and money while teams would be based on collective finishing. so if Ham came first but Bottas 4 and both Ferrari's are in between Ferrari would win.

events would be worked into existing GPs for either the week before or after. for example silverstone could be followed by a time trial at Goodwood (i know they don't allow it at the moment) or Germany could do the full Nordschleife

any thoughts or other locations

JonoNic

Re: Time trial courses

marmer wrote:Liberty Media are thinking of ways to improve the sport and it has been thought of increasing the amount of races we do.

having a think about it led me to the idea of time trial courses event would be over in 1 day.

these special events would be worth trophy's and money to the teams and driver. driver would get individual prize and money while teams would be based on collective finishing. so if Ham came first but Bottas 4 and both Ferrari's are in between Ferrari would win.

events would be worked into existing GPs for either the week before or after. for example silverstone could be followed by a time trial at Goodwood (i know they don't allow it at the moment) or Germany could do the full Nordschleife

I would rather watch a 'special double distance' GP that has refueling (same fuel flow limit) and double points. One or two of these races in between the normal season would be exciting. Maybe they could do that at Spain and Spa (more chance for rain?) or something like that. Like Le Mans 24hrs race for that series.
Always find the gap then use it.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

marmer wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 12:47
Liberty Media are thinking of ways to improve the sport and it has been thought of increasing the amount of races we do.

what a load of tripe.
also, logistically impossible, burning more through engines, burning more money for Need for Speed generation nonsense. time trials in f1, for real? we have qualification for that, and we have fastest lap records during the race.

i suggest you start watching Rally instead of F1.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

marmer
marmer

Manoah2u wrote:
marmer wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 12:47

what a load of tripe.
also, logistically impossible, burning more through engines, burning more money for Need for Speed generation nonsense. time trials in f1, for real? we have qualification for that, and we have fastest lap records during the race.

i suggest you start watching Rally instead of F1.
Tripe. How so on special courses were racing side by side is impossible would it not be interesting to see the cars and drivers go head to head yes it's not over a race but the change might welcome as an offset to complement some of the race location s we already go to and with more races at other venues they would put far more miles on the engines than a 1 day event

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I think you should pay some attention to interpunction, to be honest, it's really hard to read what you're trying to say with zero points, comma's, etcetera.

How so? F1 is not rally, like i said. F1 is also not need for speed 3rd person mode go go go and burn your engine without consequences for really what, something nobody interests in.
Who's gonna set the fastest time? Ah look, there's the qualification already, so what on earth would one need time trial for.

trophys and money? there's a points scale system that awards teams to achieve a certain position in the WCC, and for the drivers that goes for the WDC and contract and sponsor deals.
Get a fastest lap and DHL fastest pit stop 'award', you get attention, you get revenue, you get money from sponsors. all existant.

As for this 'ferrari would win' you just described how the WCC works, exists already. what's new?

'worked into' lol, you have no idea how much work and how tight the schedule of current f1 racing and venues are, especially if you also include costs and logistic work.
and week before or after? for real dude, how? they're in canada and then need to stay another week, burning money for stay, hotel, and for a 2 hour time trial game that nobody cares about?

and full nordschleife? do you want to murder the drivers? do you want to destroy the cars or want offroad vehicles? do you want ticket prices even higher because now nordschleife needs a total overhaul for safety grounds? again, for what? who gives a single funk about a nordschleife distance?

'compliment other venues'. 20+ races in a season. every 2 weeks you have a gp in general. so now what, we have seen some race, now lets go some other place that's not a gp weekend, but a boring time trial that brings nothing interesting. and assuming trophies this means not actual points for the WCC so that means it's utterly useless burning money?

as that's what it is, you're only allowed 4 engines and now we go burn engines through trying to set the fastest lap on some unknown inadequate circuit blow pistons, turbos, gearboxes, etc. and get penalties, cost cost cost.

AND on top of that, dear personnel, dear drivers, you're not getting any days free, we're gonna do something that's already here, qualification, but outside the weekend, for no purpose, no gain, just for -well what, really?

so yeah, a load of tripe.

perhaps you'd be better off watching a FULL f1 weekend on sky including practice and perhaps start seeing qualification, ALSO start watching perhaps other GP classes, and start watching rally. well, like i said.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

marmer
marmer

No one cares about Baku but we go there and a full race cost far more so I really fail to see you main point yea engines would be used more but the limit of 4 a season would go up with more races anyway. I personally think quite a few people would love to see drivers go head to head and how would the track kill drivers. Driving alone is far more safe than side by side so most of the safety concerns would be lessoned. So some tracks that don't qualify on safety may

If you don't like an idea there is no reason to go on so much the whole reason for the topic was to see how it could work with the current calendar

Or just shoot it down without real consideration alsoidontthinkgramarisworthcplainingabout

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

So you ask "how so" but really don't want an answer. "shoot it down without real concideration" i think i just pointed out to you why i'm shooting it down, because if you concider it, it makes no sense or benefit. And you state 'the whole reason for the topic was to see how it would work with the current calendar',

mentioned above is that it wouldn't work due to conflicting schedules, dates, travel, logistics, cost, and interest.

It's fine to have ideas, but if you can't take a response why people concider it a terrible idea then why bother starting a discussion about it?

As for why the track would kill drivers? go ahead and watch Imola 1994. Now go ahead and check out the nordschleife and the amount of serious accidents including (recent) deaths due to the track's 'non-existant' failsaves. And honestly, how do drivers go head to head when it's a time trial?

And yes, grammar actually IS worth mentioning because it's plain lazy not to use proper grammer or interpunction and making it hard to read or understand a point for exactly the people that come over here and try to make sense from what you're reading, especially since not everybody's native language over here is english, just as much as it might or might not be your native language.

marmer
marmer

[...] some people are not naturally good at grammar
Last edited by Steven on 25 Jul 2017, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

Jasmin7
Jasmin7

I don't know any useful information. :?:
Last edited by Jasmin7 on 12 Oct 2017, 14:47, edited 3 times in total.

zac510
zac510

It seems every day we have half a dozen threads where somebody has a miracle idea to "save" F1 like they're a prince saving a princess stuck in a tower. They're always poorly thought out, unlikely to ever happen. We should just enjoy F1 as it is.

adrianjordan

marmer wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 22:11
[...] some people are not naturally good at grammar
Even just sentences with fullstops or commas. As a general guide, try reading your post out loud and where you naturally break to take a breath is where you'd need a comma.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️