Hyundai's take on F1: Burning money

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Stormy

Re: Hyundai's take on F1: Burning money

How affected is Honda's image with this venture they are having in F1 at the moment?

Greg Locock

At a rough guess none, to actual new car buyers,as opposed to internet fanbois.

DarkSurferZA

zac510 wrote:I don't know why so many fans carry this ongoing fantasy with having as many manufacturers as possible in F1. They're fickle and jump in and out of F1 as often as their board of directors changes what type of biscuits to serve in their meetings.

There's a finite amount of pie in any sport. you can be sure that if Mercedes and Honda exit F1 and leave behind their pieces of pie then Hyundai would re-consider jumping in to take a piece of it.
More manufacturers = more fans = more events = more money in the F1 pot. If there is more of that, the long term viability of the sport is more stable.

F1 needs more big motor companies and closer racing. The hype of new manufacturers in MotoGP or SBK is something F1 hasn't had in a long time.

Fans and constructors need to stop abusing the big brands like Renault and Honda which make this more than a single formula sport.

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

roon

Mercedes too burned a lot of money in F1 over the past few years, apparently in the most effective way. Are Hyundai are admitting to not having enough money to burn in this specific way, or unconfident in their ability to burn said money in a competitive way?

DarkSurferZA

roon wrote:Mercedes too burned a lot of money in F1 over the past few years, apparently in the most effective way. Are Hyundai are admitting to not having enough money to burn in this specific way, or unconfident in their ability to burn said money in a competitive way?
Agree, but I think Hyundai just can't stomach the beating Honda are getting at the moment

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

Andres125sx

marmer wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 17:33
The team existed before RBR
Any reason Hyundai can´t do the same?

marmer

Andres125sx wrote:
18 Jun 2017, 18:41
marmer wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 17:33
The team existed before RBR
Any reason Hyundai can´t do the same?
Hyundai are a car manufacture not a soft drinks company. they would have to take over a team and introduce a engine and most of the components themselves. whats the point of using someone else engine if your trying to advertise your car brand.

Manoah2u

Spyker rings a bell.

RedBull ASTON MARTIN with Renault engines badged as TAG HEUER whilst RedBull is a energy drinks company, Aston Martin has nothing to do with that, and AM runs (AMG) Mercedes engines in their cars, not Renault, and have nothing with TAG Heuer either.

Hyundai could do like RB's doing; rebadge an engine. In fact, there was a time in F1 this was commonground; Sauber with Petronas engines - an OIL company for crying out loud, that were Ferrari engines but badged / labeled as Petronas.

And some famous names come to thought; FONDMETAL. Not a brilliant engine supplier that brought WCC capable power, but good enough for midfield games.

Question then is, WHY would Hyundai participate, to be in the midfield so people can see, oh wow, Hyundai are in F1 - and that's it? Could be good enough.
I mean, look at HAAS F1. Yes i gave that outfit zero credibility before but they happily surprised me and are doing stunningly good, they're seriously underrated and underexposed.
And it brings them venue and results, and attention. Job done for HAAS.

Same could go for Hyundai - if they'd think that'd be worth it.

And as it clearly seems, they don't think so.

If they want a winning engine, that means they have to bring something that beats long-established giants like Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault, and offcourse the ailing Honda.
Good luck with that, that's gonna cost insane amounts of money.

So i guess Hyundai doesn't settle for less, for 'midfield glory'. Sauber-Hyundai could work, ForceIndia-Hyundai (though they're better off with merc obviously), Toro Rosso-Hyundai.
Again, Hyundai must not see enough benefit from that to concider it, so they say, NOPE.

And i can't say i really feel missing out on something there.
I would love to see BMW in F1, that above any other brand.
Audi / Porsche would be interesting and cool, but BMW a whole lot higher. Also, Toyota may not have achieved their works team WCC as they wanted and pulled out, but they DID manage to make amazing engines. But then, what would they benefit from bringing in an engine again whilst they're in a good spot right now?

Ford, that would be much more interesting i'd say. Ford/Cosworth "Ecoboost". And i'd prefer to see that with HAAS or Williams.

Williams - Ford Cosworth F1 Team
HAAS - Ford Cosworth F1 Team

but getting back, to the same issue with Hyundai - it will burn huuuundreds of miiiiiillliiiooonsss of dollars ANNUALLY. make up the balance.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

DiogoBrand

The bigger waste of money is to buy a Hyundai.

Greg Locock

How many new cars do YOU buy?

marmer

If any new car manufacturer came in I would like to see Mazda they have alot of sporting tradition

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

FrukostScones

Hyundai who?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan

The Hyundai Motor Group is the third largest vehicle manufacturer in the world. They've been in motorsport since the late 90s. The fact that some haven't heard of them says more about the some than about Hyundai.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

BanMeToo

Moose wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 17:34
Stormy wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 14:07
Who cares about Hyundai, what racing pedigree do they have?
Said everyone about Ford until the GT beat Ferrari at LeMans.
http://thebrotalk.com/sports/ford-vs-fe ... -24-hours/

marmer

Just_a_fan wrote:The Hyundai Motor Group is the third largest vehicle manufacturer in the world. They've been in motorsport since the late 90s. The fact that some haven't heard of them says more about the some than about Hyundai.
The late 90s are not that long ago and as far as I know from a quick read on Wikipedia they have never won anything on a world stage. They should look at other forms of motor sports to build up experience before doing f1.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk