Should McLaren stay with Honda or switch to Mercedes power units?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Should McLaren stay with Honda or switch to Mercedes power units?

1. Stay with Honda.
63%
2. Switch to Mercedes for 2018, in 2018.
16%
3. Switch to Mercedes for 2018, in 2017 (asap).
20%

Total votes: 158

Vasconia

Re: Should McLaren stay with Honda or switch to Mercedes power units?

I vote to stay with Honda. I am tempted to change to Mercedes, but I really hope that Honda will finally deliver. It would be good for the Honda, Alonso and McLaren as a team and a future project.

RedNEO

Go with Mercedes. Staying with Honda just doesn't make sense. They clearly won't be at Mercedes level, at least in this current formula and I doubt the next one either. It's more deep rooted then just having a few problems here and there with them. I don't want to see the last of Alonso wasted because some Honda apologists keep saying "they will come good" for the last three years when the exact opposite is happening.

marvin78

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 03:10
I say switch to mercedes it is painful seeing Alonso like this.

Why? I like it. He is fighting his ass off in a bad car. I like to watch that. It don't know why everyone feels bad for someone they don't even know and who earns an awful lot of money for his job (which he is doing good by the way). Also I like it very much to see, how this relationship develops. If you take a neutral look on this, it is really amusing and enterntainig. I don't care that it is McLaren and Alonso who "suffer" in this situation. I woul be as amused as I am now if it was Ferrari with Vettel or Mercedes with Hamilton.
Last edited by marvin78 on 20 Jun 2017, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

Singabule

I vote switch in 2018, so that williamsf1 becoming works. Eat that!

RedNEO

marvin78 wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 13:15
PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 03:10
I say switch to mercedes it is painful seeing Alonso like this.

Why? I like it. He is fighting his ass off in a bad car. I like to watch that. It don't know why everyone feels bad for someone they don't even know and who earns an awful lot of money for his job (which he is doing good by the way). Also I like it very much to see, how this relationship develops. If you take a neutral look on this, it is really amusing and enterntainig. I don't care that it is McLaren and Alonso who "suffer" in this situation. I woul be as amused as I am now if it was Ferrari with Vettel or Mercedes with Hamilton.
What a strange comment to write. The whole point of F1 is to win I don't know if you've noticed. And if you think it's more exciting having a talent like Alonso fighting his own engine instead of fighting for the championship and making things more exciting I don't know what's wrong with you tbh smh

Big Mangalhit

Not everybody puts alonso before everything else including the teams and F1 itself. For Alonso fans everything else is secondary. Well tough luck these last years he is irrelevant for the sport, battling just for the odd point here and there but that doesn't mean there is no great competition. We had Ham battling Ros last seasons and now even a two team battle. Things look good. Hopefully Honda solves the issue and we have more different teams/engines battling for the win. On the other hand this whole situation helps showcase how F1 is a tremendous effort and all the teams do a mighty job, even Renault has a beast of a PU just not as refined as Merc.

marvin78

There is nothing wrong with me. I'm a neutral fan of F1. I Like the races, I like to see the championship developing over the year. I like to see the development of the teams over the year/years and I like the strategies, the atmosphere. Whether the hole point of F1 is to win is very subjective. Ask Sauber about that. For me F1 is a lot more than winning. And as I am not a fan of anyone, maybe I watch from another perspektive. I don't know what's wrong about that!?

I can feel bad about a family member who suffers from anything but I don't understand why anyone feels bad for someone he knows from TV. But I never would say, that something is wrong with someone who does.

RedNEO

Big Mangalhit wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 13:47
Not everybody puts alonso before everything else including the teams and F1 itself. For Alonso fans everything else is secondary. Well tough luck these last years he is irrelevant for the sport, battling just for the odd point here and there but that doesn't mean there is no great competition. We had Ham battling Ros last seasons and now even a two team battle. Things look good. Hopefully Honda solves the issue and we have more different teams/engines battling for the win. On the other hand this whole situation helps showcase how F1 is a tremendous effort and all the teams do a mighty job, even Renault has a beast of a PU just not as refined as Merc.
Lol this has got nothing to with being a fan or not. You don't even have to like him to appreciate he would make the racing at the front more exciting unless yall are anti competition and like dull races

RedNEO

Singabule wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 13:26
I vote switch in 2018, so that williamsf1 becoming works. Eat that!
I wonder how quickly they will go through the 3 engine allocation next year

RedNEO

marvin78 wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 13:48
There is nothing wrong with me. I'm a neutral fan of F1. I Like the races, I like to see the championship developing over the year. I like to see the development of the teams over the year/years and I like the strategies, the atmosphere. Whether the hole point of F1 is to win is very subjective. Ask Sauber about that. For me F1 is a lot more than winning. And as I am not a fan of anyone, maybe I watch from another perspektive. I don't know what's wrong about that!?

I can feel bad about a family member who suffers from anything but I don't understand why anyone feels bad for someone he knows from TV. But I never would say, that something is wrong with someone who does.
You just said 'you like it' seeing Alonso suffer so that's why I asked what is wrong with you. If you don't like him fair enough but the fact you find it amusing is in my eyes a bit childish.

marvin78

RedNEO wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 13:49
Big Mangalhit wrote:
Lol this has got nothing to with being a fan or not. You don't even have to like him to appreciate he would make the racing at the front more exciting unless yall are anti competition and like dull races
But he does not. So we can enjoy the reality. Why do we always live in "what ifs"?

As a matter of fact, I don't like seing him suffer, because he does not (what is suffering?). I said that I like to see him fight this situation. That's another thing. You twistet my words. Please read more carefully.

RedNEO

marvin78 wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 13:58
RedNEO wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 13:49
Big Mangalhit wrote:
But he does not. So we can enjoy the reality. Why do we always live in "what ifs"?

As a matter of fact, I don't like seing him suffer, because he does not (what is suffering?). I said that I like to see him fight this situation. That's another thing. You twistet my words. Please read more carefully.
So are you disagreeing with what you just said 5 minutes ago? Someone said they don't like to see Alonso like this and you said "why I like it". I quoted you FFS you can't just pretend I made it up. Maybe you should read what you've written yourself more carefully in future. Good day

marvin78

No one said, that he suffers. "Like this" can and should mean something like "not winning despite of talent". But "suffer"? Suffering needs a whole lot more. As I see it, i never wrote that I like to see him suffer. That's all in your head, I think.

Back to discussion. This is ridiculous.

RedNEO

marvin78 wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 14:12
No one said, that he suffers. "Like this" can and should mean something like "not winning despite of talent". But "suffer"? Suffering needs a whole lot more. As I see it, i never wrote that I like to see him suffer. That's all in your head, I think.

Back to discussion. This is ridiculous.
He's a racer who has won championships and he's can't showcase what he can do because he's being held back my his machinery. To a racing driver that is suffering! You said you like seeing him being held back by his engine which was weird comment unless your a hater. You're right though this is ridiculous how you just tried to spin that into something else... *edit* and you did actually use the word "suffer" so that's obviously what you thought he was talking about when talking about Alonso. But whatever I don't care anymore.
Last edited by RedNEO on 20 Jun 2017, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

marvin78

You don't know how wrong you are. But as a matter of fact I even like this fanboyism. It's very funny to watch you poeple hate and love this other persons you don't even know. I don't judge it. It's fun to watch and read.

That's it, I'm out of this. I feel like I'm feeding a troll.